Gransnet forums

AIBU

Books by celebrities

(80 Posts)
Beswitched Wed 24-Mar-21 11:11:53

My friend's daughter is a very talented writer. She has written a Children's book and has had a few requests for the full script from agents. However it never gets further than that. She accepts she's lucky to even get that far and rejection is part of being a writer. She can't help feeling bitter, however, when she sees celeb after celeb publishing mediocre books and getting loads of publicity.

I find it depressing as well. There are so many good children's writers out there but you have to wade through so much dross to find them in bookshops.

inishowen Thu 25-Mar-21 10:50:02

Just want to say, Jenny Eclair and Graham Norton are fantastic writers,oh and Ben Elton.

DC64 Thu 25-Mar-21 10:52:16

Love to know what the definition of a ‘celeb’ is ... anyone know?

Tricia247uk Thu 25-Mar-21 10:55:24

Agree with you GillT57, I think Walliams' books are a poorer version of those written by the late, great Ronald Dahl.

Also agree with you, rowyn, I could not reconcile the reviews I'd read with the book I listened to on BBC sounds.

Still, each to her/his own wink

nipsmum Thu 25-Mar-21 11:02:31

I am not a fan of any celebrities. They are so often over hyped. I've read a few autobiographies and they are on the whole uninteresting and repetitive. I'm sure there are good writers out there who go unrecognised and I don't know who is to blame for that. Publishers will only print what they think will sell and unknown writers would need a lot of publicity, which might be a bit of a gamble for them.

Beswitched Thu 25-Mar-21 11:11:48

I am passing all the kind advice on here to my friend.
Can I just say though that I thoroughly enjoyed Richard Osman's book. I normally avoid celeb books like the plague but a couple of people whose taste I trust recommended this one, so I gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised. He did rather over egg the pudding towards the end, and I think his editor should have intervened. But overall I enjoyed it.

Craftycat Thu 25-Mar-21 11:51:44

Yes Ben Elton writes a really good story. Mind you I love his scripts too so maybe you have to be a fan. I have read a couple of David Walliam's books & found them OK- my DGC love them!

grannie7 Thu 25-Mar-21 11:55:36

inishowen

I think your daughter should get a solicitor’s letter sent to the magazine your dd sent her story to, and to the publisher who published it.The Author of the book is not going to respond
You need to check the terms of the magazine as well as they may say once a story is submitted,the copyright is theirs,
would be most unfair if so.
I am certain someone on gransnet will be able to give you better advice on what to do.
Your daughter needs justice I bet the author was once or still is working for the magazine be interesting to try and find out.

Annaram1 Thu 25-Mar-21 12:03:54

Callestemon Austin Mitchell is not to be touched with a barge pole!! Its a vanity publisher. I know because I tried them.. They wanted me to pay £3800 and kept badgering me for the money although they had not even published my book.. When I said they had not published it they said they would only publish it when I paid the £3800 !! I got letter after letter from them with threats of legal action if I did not pay. DO NOT TELL ANYONE TO PUBLISH WITH THIS PUBLISHER . They flatter you like mad and say what a great book it is but it is hard to get out of their clutches!!!
Self publishing is a far better option.

Annaram1 Thu 25-Mar-21 12:08:17

Beswitched Please see my post above to Callestemmon.

I'm very surprised that I am the first person to warn against this vanity publisher. DO NOT TRY AUSTIN MITCHELL. THEY ARE COMPLETE CON ARTISTS.

Jennyluck Thu 25-Mar-21 12:15:51

Totally agree with everyone. Unfortunately celebrities are given so many opportunities that normal people can only dream about. It seems more than ever any new actor, singer or presenter are related to a celebrity. I think it’s become harder to get into these very lucrative jobs.

Kate1949 Thu 25-Mar-21 12:16:47

My sister always has her head in a book. She read her first 'celebrity' written novel recently, Graham Norton's latest. She said it was brilliant.

Battersea1971 Thu 25-Mar-21 12:18:50

A word in favour of David Walliams. His books as re not aimed at us. I have four granddaughters who love his books. I have just read Richard Osmans book, very disappointing. I gave up after about 40 pages, it was soo boring. It wouldnt have been published if it hadnt been him.

Nanananana1 Thu 25-Mar-21 12:21:30

Oh save us from 'celebs and 'presenters' who think they are experts on everything!

I once heard a presenter on The Chelsea Flower Show round up saying "now I don't know much about gardening but...."
Then what are you doing on a gardening programme?????

Don't blame the celebs, blame the money makers: the producers, the agents, the P.R. machine, the casting department. They are all much more concerned with how much they can get from a celeb before their (often debatable talent) and popularity runs out

During this pandemic have you noticed how the same faces keep turning up for any old job on TV just to get heir faces in front of an audience? Desperate or what!

As a PS (and I shall probably be very unpopular here) I have just read Richard Osman's "Thursday Murder Club". Much hyped, regaled and highly regarded as a great new writer. I think not. Pleasant, pedestrian and rather dull and way too long. By no means a good book. Stick to the day jobs Richard, you have plenty of them

Lesley60 Thu 25-Mar-21 12:22:01

I agree, I have never read a book by a celeb, and totally refuse to buy a perfume by one.
Many of these so called celebs will put their name to anything for the money

jools1903 Thu 25-Mar-21 12:38:11

I wonder how many of these celeb books are actually written by a ‘ghost’ writer? I feel sorry for those who do ghost writing and never get to claim their ‘fame’

Callistemon Thu 25-Mar-21 12:43:26

Annaram1

Beswitched Please see my post above to Callestemmon.

I'm very surprised that I am the first person to warn against this vanity publisher. DO NOT TRY AUSTIN MITCHELL. THEY ARE COMPLETE CON ARTISTS.

Annaram
I only know what an author who used them has told me and I do not believe he paid anything to them.
I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with them, just as well to hear both sides.

Has Beswitched seen your warning? Perhaps you could pm her with your concerns.

Musicgirl Thu 25-Mar-21 12:43:26

I agree with everything written here but hope that your daughter soon gets the break she deserves. Remind her how long it took for J K Rowling to be discovered.

Witzend Thu 25-Mar-21 12:51:27

inishowen, it was years ago now, but a friend of mine was at a big car boot sale in the N of England, when she noticed an American woman buying up stacks and stacks of old paperbacks - apparently barely looking at them first.

Being a normally nosy person and bemused, my friend asked what she wanted them all for.
Answer, she was an author, and habitually trawled through dozens and dozens of such books, looking for plots to nick!

The amazing thing was that she was evidently quite unabashed about admitting it!

Annaram1 Thu 25-Mar-21 13:01:53

Callistemon, NOBODY gets published for free by Austin Mitchell!!!¬ They exist to con people out of money, and if your friend claims that he did not pay anything he is definitely telling porkies.
I expect you can find warnings about AM on the internet.

TerriBull Thu 25-Mar-21 13:02:25

Absolutely steer clear of any books by five minute wonders, they would be the absolute pits for me, particularly reality stars or sports people, just not interested. I have read some long established individuals' biographies, Patti Boyd was one, I enjoyed that I do like reading about the heady days of the '60s. My husband said Alan Johnson's biography was a thoroughly good and a very moving read and he also loves Hunter Davis's memoirs, but they've all lived lives worth writing about.

So agree about Richard Osman's book would it have been published if it had been anyone else? I think not! it must be thoroughly galling for talented writers out there to see that boring mediocre book of his riding high in the best seller charts week after week.

Callistemon Thu 25-Mar-21 13:03:52

Actually, I said I do not believe he paid anything to them.
so I could be wrong. As he is not a all well off I assumed he did not.

Warning noted.

Mollygo Thu 25-Mar-21 13:24:15

I read and enjoyed 4 books by Celia Imrie starting with ‘Not Quite Nice. I didn’t associate the author with the actress till I saw her photo on the blurb.
I never really thought the celebrity authors wrote the books attributed to them, but if I don’t like the celeb I don’t buy the books.

Kate1949 Thu 25-Mar-21 13:26:19

I read Patti Boyd's book too Terribull. George Harrison was my all time ?. I enjoyed Patti's book. Also Marianne Faithful's, Cynthia Lennon's and Keith Richards - now there's a book! I am very much a '60s girl. Their lives were fascinating.

crazygranny Thu 25-Mar-21 13:38:55

If being published is important to her, has she used any of the organisations like The Literary Consultancy which will critique her work? Yes, you have to pay a fee but it isn't a huge amount and it is so worthwhile. She may write well but lack guidance which would lift her work to immediately publishable quality. Publishers do not have time to offer this sort of advice.

polly123 Thu 25-Mar-21 13:59:27

I always avoid anything connected with 'celebrities'. I wrote and illustrated a couple of children's books which were received with interest but not published. There were however, several books by celebrities being published despite being ghost written in most cases and boring in content. I also have a particular dislike of David Walliams and his efforts. I would expect Graham Norton to be an exception as he does have humour and wit on his side. But Katie Price and the rest?