Gransnet forums

AIBU

Updating will

(60 Posts)
Chookcook Wed 07-Apr-21 18:43:46

Hi, I just want to know AIBU. I don't think I am because things change over the years but I'd appreciate others views. This is a very long post I do apologise

My dh and I met in our teens and were on and off until we got into our 40s.
He was a very troubled man and very violent towards me, not the best dad to our two daughters and abused hard drugs and alcohol. I made sure my dd's did not notice this and I protected them throughout our many breakups, marriage, divorce and marriage again.

Fast forward until we were in our 40s my dd1 had a dd of her own who I doted on. DH who had been gone for a few years came back when dd was pregnant and informed me his mother had added him as a sole beneficiary to her will. We decided to stay together and got married as we'd been divorced. I did this because I thought my dd's and gd would benefit from the money in the future.

My dh and dd's just could not rub along together and in the end, because oh DH heavy drinking and aggressive behaviour both dds left our lives I was devastated not to see my gd and missed her terribly.

When dd2 came to collect her stuff there was an awful row dh said that anybody would have thought he'd sexually abused her the way she was behaving and then he said perhaps he should have done. She blew this out of all proportion as he didn't mean it like that and my friend who was there also said he didn't mean it like that.

I never saw either dd or GC again and that was 20 years ago. I kept them in my will and stayed in an unhappy relationship with a drunk waiting for the day his mother died so we could get money to help my dd's if needed.

I have s large family and when they were in contact with my dd's they would come back and give news and photos to me. I gave them gifts to hand to gd with secret letters inside she could read without her mum knowing but these started coming back and soon my dd's lost contact with all of their aunts uncles and cousins. Our family grew closer than they ever were and my gd has missed out on this.
Dd2 got married and had children and I wasn't involved. I haven't even seen my gc from her. Despite this I stayed with DH for them.

When DH mum died he died shortly after and I now have all of the money, although I've lived on most if it and now work in a lovely job that I really enjoy.

Sadly my brother and his wife died in 2019 within a few weeks of eachother and left their two dd's and 4 GC with no parents/grandparents.

I have become very close to my nieces and their children. I am closer to them than I ever was to my own dd's and I have plenty of wonderful contact with their children, I feel like their real gran.

As my two dd's have got on with their lives and won't have any contact with me would it be unreasonable to take them out of the will and put my nieces in their place.

My other siblings say it is lovely that I am now being given the opportunity to be a real gp just like them after missing out all those years. They say I shouldn't begrudge myself a little bit of happiness after all I've been through.

I put up with an awful life and an unloving marriage for my dd's but they have moved on should I move on too?

annodomini Sat 24-Apr-21 17:33:21

All you wanted when your daughters left school was a share of their incomes. Did it ever occur to you to have a job yourself?

Newatthis Sat 24-Apr-21 17:11:16

It would seem you stayed with him for the money. He seemed like a vile controlling man and the comment he made to your daughter was evil and nasty.Are you really surprised that your children don't want anything to do with you. Most of us here are not.

nellgwynne Sat 24-Apr-21 16:16:34

Chookchook, I don't often comment on threads but this is unbelievable. For a start, this could be a fake story it's so extreme. If it is true, I'm sorry but you sound like an awful person, a terrible mother with no empathy, kindness or understanding. Your daughters have been scarred by your lack of protection. I'm sure they don't want you anywhere near their children. So zero sympathy with you.

Shropshirelass Tue 13-Apr-21 08:10:19

You should leave your money to exactly who you would like to benefit, you are not morally obliged to leave it to family members who you don’t see and who don’t bother with you. Your daughters don’t bother with you and didn’t support you when you needed it, if that was me then I wouldn’t leave them anything at all but would put a letter with your will explaining that you have given beneficiaries great thought and your decision to omit certain family members is final, you can state why, this will help should they raise a dispute in the future when you pass. Believe me, they all come out of the woodwork when they think they might benefit!!!

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 13-Apr-21 07:59:56

Strewth, I’ve just read this thread again. What a strange woman! Is she real? One of my sons, who is in his 30s, moved back home for 18 months. I didn’t charge him rent as he had little money, he cooked and cleaned and was good company. Money was not on our minds at all. When he had any he would pay for some of the groceries. I don’t think that woman was real at all, who stays in a rotten marriage for their children’s sake? No one I know.

Sandytoes Thu 08-Apr-21 21:52:28

If this is for real it is incredibly sad you feel you acted in their best interests . You did not , your children needed a parent who prioritised their safety and emotional wellbeing , not a potential inheritance. No amount of money could make up for the abuse they witnessed and suffered .

FlexibleFriend Thu 08-Apr-21 13:48:21

Your daughter wanted for nothing are you deranged? They may have been fed and clothed but they certainly wanted a decent and loving mum and dad and they had neither. You're surprised they were not well behaved, I'm not kids act up when they want and need attention but you couldn't see it. Once they were 18 you wanted money off them to replace the benefits, I would have left so fast you wouldn't have seen me for dust. My sons carried on living at home well into their 20's because it was a good and happy place to be. Yours were only welcome if they could pay and job seekers wasn't enough for you. Leave the money to your daughters they've earnt every penny.

Curlywhirly Thu 08-Apr-21 13:45:35

Hmm, this is the second post this week from a mother giving details of a very strange home life and who fails to see that they have contributed to their children's unhappiness - I'm finding hard to believe either story.

Katie59 Thu 08-Apr-21 13:43:12

I think it probably is a true story, when you are a victim of abuse yourself it’s easy to become abusive and intolerant, you get very hard. As for the money I’d leave it to my daughters it’s up to them what they do, bequests to others can be made as well. As you get older there may be friends or relatives who look after you, it would be nice to leave them something.

Grandmabatty Thu 08-Apr-21 13:27:29

You posted on AIBU therefore people have commented appropriately. This was not the right page for sympathy and based on what you have written and your flouncing away, you won't get much elsewhere. You asked for advice and because it wasn't what you wanted to hear, everyone is in a gang and against you? I paraphrase of course.

Nonogran Thu 08-Apr-21 13:19:52

I'm not going to opine about your past or reasons for living the way you did. Some comments on here are judgemental & verge on being very unkind given it's impossible to know the whole story via a text forum. Sounds like you did what, at the time, seemed best albeit not what a lot of us would have done. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
At this time and in your shoes I'd make the will in favour of your nieces. IF life changes again in the future, you can always redo your will. Let's face it, if you have property, whatever it sells for, can easily be spilt between nieces & grandkids. It means the inheritance for each individual will be smaller but at least you've acknowledged them all.
It's great that you're feeling stronger and are happier. It's never too early to tidy up your life & making a will is a good start.

silverlining48 Thu 08-Apr-21 13:15:39

Chook I wont comment on your post, enough has been said. You did ask for advice and you got it. Hope some if it helped.

However re your Will, why not consider dividing it between your daughters and neices. Equal shares or however you wish. Its obviously your decision. I would not tell them about this because its not fair to put that sort of expectation or pressure on them.

hazel93 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:26:48

No, Chook, you are so far from right it is truly sad.

GillT57 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:17:00

Bye. Enjoy your money gained at the expense of your children. Would suggest you don't try posting your pathetic story on MN, they will be even less sympathetic than those of us here. May even come across your daughters on there.

Bibbity Thu 08-Apr-21 12:11:20

I’d have said a lot worse to you if I were her. Again. Your were an appalling mother. You failed. You basically got fired from the role.
No matter what some deranged idiots told you they were wrong.

Your daughters were the victims. They suffered because of you. They are no free of you and your abuse and I hope they have kind the ability to heal from having to be exposed to you.

Chewbacca Thu 08-Apr-21 12:09:35

I'm gone

Oh thank goodness for that.

Chookcook Thu 08-Apr-21 12:09:35

Because I am right but now I don't care what you think you're nobody who knows me. I'll communicate no more

Hithere Thu 08-Apr-21 12:03:59

Why are you trying to convince us?

Chookcook Thu 08-Apr-21 11:55:53

My dd's were fed clothed and had a roof over their heads I made sure they wanted for nothing.
I may have suffered but I did it quietly everyone always said that I was a good mum and always told my dd's to behave for ME nobody said I was wrong.
A family friend was disgusted by my dd as he only said to her that she had a good mum and should look after me properly and not be naughty at school for me and she told him to f off and mind his own business. She was 13 this is what I mean it was all take take take
I'm not in that situation anymore I am so happy and regardless of what you want to say I am deserving of every minute of it
It clear you are all like a gang on here what you do is bully or label fake because you're oh so perfect. When you're a victim of domestic abuse you make mistakes and your children blame you despite your efforts.
Perhaps from the privilege of your middle class double fronted houses and nice cars you haven't seen real life. Stay perfect won't you all.

I'm gone.

Hithere Thu 08-Apr-21 11:54:54

Smileless at 1040

I fully agree with you!

GillT57 Thu 08-Apr-21 11:30:37

Good grief. I don't know where to start. What about with They will appreciate it and stick around or

I wanted £50 per week but dd1 went on the dole and at the time only got £75 every two weeks. It wasn't enough for me or

When dd2 reached that age she worked and got about £100 a week so I got the £50 I wanted but at 18 they can go on the council list so I got her on there because she was old enough to move out, when she was at work I moved all her stuff into the flat and she lived there until she got herself evicted and into debt and I had to take her back in

You are all heart aren't you? If this story is true, you have not been a good Mother, you lived with a violent, drug taking drinker, your daughters suffered from this despite your delusional rewrite of family history, and now you are using money as a means of tying family to you. Frankly, you should leave your money, whatever is left of it after you have spent it, to a charity which deals with people who have suffered as your daughters did. At least that way some good will come out of your tainted money.

Bibbity Thu 08-Apr-21 11:15:31

You abused them.

Chookcook Thu 08-Apr-21 11:10:46

The people who think it would any real you don't know me. People irl know what I mean perhaps I should have just asked them.

Chookcook Thu 08-Apr-21 11:08:59

@hazel93 when your children left education back then all your benefits stopped. They had to get a job or sign on and contribute equally to the household bills and rent as it wasn't subsidised any more. They were 18 and old enough to move out anyway.
I wanted £50 per week but dd1 went on the dole and at the time only got £75 every two weeks. It wasn't enough for me.

When dd2 reached that age she worked and got about £100 a week so I got the £50 I wanted but at 18 they can go on the council list so I got her on there because she was old enough to move out.
When she was at work I moved all her stuff into the flat and she lived there until she got herself evicted and in debt and I had to take her back in.
I've been a good mum to my dd's if I wasn't people I know wouldn't feel sorry for me, they'd feel sorry for my dd's instead.

Nanny27 Thu 08-Apr-21 11:00:03

Each post gets worse. Just don't think I believe any of this. She says she would have done anything for her daughters but chucks them out at 18!