Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should we buy a house with aggressive dog next door?

(160 Posts)
pigsmayfly. Fri 09-Apr-21 15:06:05

My DD and SIL are close to exchange on their first home. It’s exactly what they want, where they want it and there is much excitement. Today they popped round and met their proposed new neighbours, who looked at their tiny dog and said that their aggressive staffie would kill the little dog in seconds. AIBU to suggest they put up a high fence and carry on with the move? I feel quite worried

Redhead56 Fri 09-Apr-21 16:19:13

It makes me wonder what was really behind the comment. Why would someone be so negative to prospective new neighbours it’s very odd. Maybe they don’t want the neighbours to sell for some reason. If there have been disputes they do have to be disclose the information when selling property.

Nonogran Fri 09-Apr-21 16:31:29

Is it possible they have issues with the vendor & out of spite are trying to put purchasers off?
If your DD has exchanged she stands to lose her deposit.
If she has exchanged & will complete, new and very strong fencing will be a priority.
However, that's fine for the back yard, but what's to be done if caught with her dog in the street? What a worry.
Ask advice from current vendor about dog/neighbour issue?
Maybe it was jest or just a sick sense of humour? Revisit & have a quiet chat to see if they're really really serious?
You can't be too careful .....

Blinko Fri 09-Apr-21 16:33:43

Bear in mind too that an elderly woman not too far from here was killed by aggressive dogs breaking into her garden and attacking her. It was on the national news.

Why do people keep aggressive dogs anyway?

ExD Fri 09-Apr-21 16:39:06

Why do people keep aggressive dogs anyway? - well said blinko

The estate agent has a duty to disclose such things - so they are the people to ask - they won't want to lose the sale so treat what they say with a pinch of salt though.

sodapop Fri 09-Apr-21 16:44:09

That would give me pause too. The attitude of the neighbours doesn't bode well for the future.

MaizieD Fri 09-Apr-21 16:46:22

eazybee

Staffies like people but hate other dogs.
The neighbours' remark would give me cause for concern.

I don't think so. A friend of mine has three staffies and my very little dog gets on fine with them. Has even been to stay with them on couple of occasions...

I had wondered about it being said in jest, too.

blue25 Fri 09-Apr-21 17:39:13

That doesn’t bode well. The neighbours sound unpleasant and could make their life unbearable.

BlueBelle Fri 09-Apr-21 17:45:29

Staffies like people but hate other dogs

I agree with you eazybee
A close family member has a staffie cross she is absolutely wonderful with people the kindest dog you could meet but cannot tolerate other dogs even on the television she goes mad trying to get to them very aggressive towards other dogs of all sizes

Squiffy Fri 09-Apr-21 17:51:23

How would the little dog react to hearing a large dog barking next door? Even if it were not actually threatening, would it sound frightening to the little dog? - in which case there could be stress issues for it.

NotAGran55 Fri 09-Apr-21 17:56:12

Are they considering pulling out of the sale OP from what you are saying ? I most certainly would!

MamaCaz Fri 09-Apr-21 17:56:48

It sounds to me as if they are trying to sabotage the sale. If they are, that rings just as many alarm bells as their claim!

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Apr-21 17:59:06

Grandmabatty

I've never popped round to meet the neighbours when I've bought a house. Is this a thing now? If they like the house then put up a strong fence. The dog won't be around forever

I have always done this prior to a move.
Even when renting in the “early days” have asked about the area, anything really, just to see how they seem.

It doesn’t stop them moving away and being replaced by the “neighbours from hell” but you do at least have a first impression.

Alexa Fri 09-Apr-21 18:07:20

These potential neighbours are not very friendly are they? I'd forgo that house and buy somewhere else if it were my choice.

HurdyGurdy Fri 09-Apr-21 18:08:53

I think I'd want context around the comment - if it was said whilst smiling, and making a (very inappropriate) joke, or if there was any sense of negativity towards your daughter and son in law.

Nevertheless, it would definitely make me think twice about moving in.

Maybe they had someone in mind to move in next door, and were trying to put prospective buyers off.

Whatever the reason, I'd be very cautious about moving in next door to them.

nadateturbe Fri 09-Apr-21 18:15:09

Definitely does not sound like a good move!

Nightsky2 Fri 09-Apr-21 18:16:02

Not if they were going to have to worry about the dog next door every time they left the house. I would look for something else to buy unless it was said in jest and that maybe the two dogs could meet before any exchange of contracts to see how they get on.

It’s a very strange thing to say to someone who was going to be their new neighbours. They should be asking some serious questions.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 09-Apr-21 18:26:56

No, you’re right to be worried, I would be. So many things are important in a new house aren’t they? The house itself can pale into insignificance if the area isn’t quite right for example. If the neighbours aren’t right, there’s a potential for disaster.

Could they re think the house? It’s just not worth it.

Katie59 Fri 09-Apr-21 18:35:04

I would certainly ask the vendors formally if they have had issues with the neighbours or their dogs. They have a legal obligation to to declare any such issues.
Also I would speak to the neighbour about the character of his dog. It may well be just a stupid comment made thoughtlessly, at the same time you can judge just how compatable you are with that neighbour.

Both the above are quick and easy to do.

pigsmayfly. Fri 09-Apr-21 18:47:54

Thank you for all your responses. They went round by arrangement just to have an extra look. An elderly man lived there before and had died so his son is selling. They met the neighbour over the garden fence. I agree it’s very off putting. I will share your views gransnetters. There is a whole wealth of experience on here. Thanks for checking my instincts

tattynan Fri 09-Apr-21 18:48:15

Were your DD and SiL upset by this encounter with their new neighbours? If they got bad vibes might be worth asking people they are buying off if they have any issues with neighbours.If they know their names you could check out Facebook or Instagram to get a feel for them. If they feel fine about them then carry on and build that fence. As the saying goes ‘Good fences make good neighbours.’

Gannygangan Fri 09-Apr-21 18:51:22

I assume they were joking. Hopefully.

SpringyChicken Fri 09-Apr-21 18:59:07

Do consider that some dogs will dig under a fence.

nadateturbe Fri 09-Apr-21 19:03:40

Katie is right. They are legally obliged to tell you of any issues, which is why we won't contact the counsel about the noisy dog next door. As we plan to move at some stage.

nadateturbe Fri 09-Apr-21 19:04:28

counsel council

Katie59 Fri 09-Apr-21 19:05:26

‘Good fences make good neighbours.’

Absolutely, any cash spent to maintain good relations will pay dividends in so many ways