Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should we buy a house with aggressive dog next door?

(160 Posts)
pigsmayfly. Fri 09-Apr-21 15:06:05

My DD and SIL are close to exchange on their first home. It’s exactly what they want, where they want it and there is much excitement. Today they popped round and met their proposed new neighbours, who looked at their tiny dog and said that their aggressive staffie would kill the little dog in seconds. AIBU to suggest they put up a high fence and carry on with the move? I feel quite worried

NanaPlenty Sun 18-Apr-21 11:38:52

I definitely would be put off the move - if it’s aggressive and the owners sound aggressive too saying what they did - why would you choose to live next door. Might be a dog that barks constantly if it’s aggressive too!

Sarnia Sun 18-Apr-21 11:42:27

It is hard to pull out of a house sale when you are so close to the finishing line, you have spent money on surveys and the house ticks all or most of your wish-list boxes. However, buying a house is the most expensive purchase most of us ever make and although the house may be lovely, neighbours could make or break your idyll. Have you spoken to the vendors or estate agent about this? Your neighbours attitude would have taken the shine off moving there for me.

Lilyflower Sun 18-Apr-21 12:00:38

No. Run!

Nannan2 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:04:49

I would definitely not move there- the people nxt door are probably not going to be good or nice neighbours because their dog is aggressive- its how a dog is reared that makes it aggressive- so what does that tell you about those people?? My DD had a staffie from a pup- sadly it died last year, (getting on a bit and had developed illness) BUT, it was the loveliest, softest dog you could meet, they had dog before the kids, but still it wasnt jealous,(it even used to let my GD pull herself up on it when she learned to walk) it loved all the visitors/visiting kids, and never barked or growled at them.It even got me used to dogs, and im a cat lover really.As i said, its the people, not the dog, so really, if their staffie is aggressive, then they too are aggressive.Id say its a big mistake to move there.

Nannan2 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:14:41

easybee- staffies dont naturally hate other dogs- my daughter got another, much smaller dog, while she she still had her staffie(pomeranian cross) and it 'took it under its wing' straight away- looked after it and everything, especially on walks, they were together about 3yrs before staffie died, also 2 other family members visited with a dog, and their staffie wasnt bothered at all- see, its how the dog is reared/raised/looked after thats the key.

ValerieF Tue 20-Apr-21 20:56:39

Personally I wouldn’t worry so much about the dog as to the neighbors! But IF it is all steam ahead with the sale I would introduce the dogs asap. You kind of get a feeling for how it is going to go! If it’s a definite no no then you can put up an indestructible fence. My feeling is the dogs will be the least of her problems tbh

tattynan Wed 28-Apr-21 21:04:10

Pigsmayfly what happened in the end?

Shel69 Thu 29-Apr-21 09:36:02

No if they are happy to have an aggressive dog that they haven't said they would control to protect the little dog, then no, probally the reason for selling the house, bad neighbours

Lin52 Tue 04-May-21 07:36:41

What an awful prospective neighbour, no one says that in jest, it is not funny. Pulling out may cost a lot of money, that has to be taken into consideration I suppose, but living next door to someone who makes those kind of remarks on first meeting would make me not go ahead with the sale. What else has in store for you, perhaps speaking to the sellers of the house, why are they moving!!