Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should we buy a house with aggressive dog next door?

(160 Posts)
pigsmayfly. Fri 09-Apr-21 15:06:05

My DD and SIL are close to exchange on their first home. It’s exactly what they want, where they want it and there is much excitement. Today they popped round and met their proposed new neighbours, who looked at their tiny dog and said that their aggressive staffie would kill the little dog in seconds. AIBU to suggest they put up a high fence and carry on with the move? I feel quite worried

4allweknow Tue 13-Apr-21 16:40:59

The sellers should be told about the neighbour's remarks and that DD is reluctant to complete. Perhaps DD should also approach other neighbours for their views on the dog situation. If DD does go ahead then a fence would be essential. Can a staffie jump a 2 mtr high fence this being the height limit I think but a bit of trellising could be added to increase the height. The dog won't live forever,you're DD needs to be comfortable with the actual the actual neighbour though never mind the dog.

alchemilla Tue 13-Apr-21 16:39:05

Talk to the estate agent.

pamcuthbert Tue 13-Apr-21 16:35:35

eazybee

Staffies like people but hate other dogs.
The neighbours' remark would give me cause for concern.

Our lovely staffie not only didn't hate other dogs, but was known locally as the peacemaker - when any fights erupted between other dogs she would get in between them & lick them until they stopped!
How I miss that gorgeous beautiful girl.

Anneeba Tue 13-Apr-21 16:33:10

I'd ask lots of other neighbours near the house to see what they have to say. A vicious dog won't just affect the next-door neighbours, everyone else with a dog or cat living nearby will be aware of it. Then they can at least find out if it was a poor taste joke made by someone lacking social graces or an accurate description made by a wholly unpleasant household.

Coco51 Tue 13-Apr-21 16:08:12

The sellers are obliged to declare if there have been difficulties with neighbours - perhaps your DD could specifically clarify this with the solicitors. No matter how much they love their new home nasty neighbours will ruin everything.

BlueBelle Tue 13-Apr-21 15:59:37

Whoops didn’t mean to cross that out
The owner died and it’s being sold by a son who probably never lived there or knew the neighbours

BlueBelle Tue 13-Apr-21 15:58:30

I m never sure why people don’t read threads if not all of them at least any updates by the author so to all those saying perhaps that’s why the owners moved
The owner died and it’s being sold by a son who probably knows nothing about the neighbours

Davida1968 Tue 13-Apr-21 15:51:58

I agree with poshpaws. In addition to worries about the dog's safety, this would be a serious concern to me because the warning signs are there: these could be the "neigbours from hell". If the prospective buyers aren't yet committted, then my advice to them would be: "No, don't!!"

Carooline Tue 13-Apr-21 15:44:02

I’m also wondering if it was said in jest. I have a staffie and he is the most wonderful dog ever, he’s affectionate, loving and a big softie. Stafford are no more vicious than any other dog, in fact my sons Poojion (don’t know how you spell it) is a much more snappy dog.

Alioop Tue 13-Apr-21 15:38:51

Not a chance, I wouldn't be moving there. I had little gaps between the planks in my fencing at my last house and found cocktail sausages hidden in flowerpots I had along it. My Chinese neighbours next door hated my little dog, she's the friendliest little thing too, but from the day I moved in the kids tortured her through the fence. The final straw was the hidden sausages, I honestly think they were trying to poison her cos why would you hide them and why would you feed a little dog you didn't like.

NotSpaghetti Tue 13-Apr-21 15:23:18

MollyG

It may be why the current owners are wanting to move! I’d steer well clear

The current owner is deceased.

dortie145 Tue 13-Apr-21 14:50:48

Do not move there A problem before you get there will only increase when you do its an expensive mistake

poshpaws Tue 13-Apr-21 14:41:03

Absolutely a no from me. The neighbours sound dreadful - if what they said was true they're utterly irresponsible, if not they have an atrocious sense of humour but would either way make problematic neighbours. Secondly, I just wouldn't be prepared to take tiniest risk with one of my dogs. I think that your DD and SIL have had a very lucky pre-warning and a narrow escape from a life of worry and upset.

Edith81 Tue 13-Apr-21 14:37:46

Has your DD spoken to the present owners of the house she wants to buy about the dog. Could that be a reason they want to sell. I certainly would avoid moving next door to an aggressive dog. How many times have we read about the awful tragedies that have occurred with neighbours’ dogs.

Tickledpink Tue 13-Apr-21 14:11:10

I know what I’d have replied to such a comment! What a horrible thing to say. I’d be inclined to ask present owners if they have problems with them. They’re obliged to disclose if there are issues.

Greciangirl Tue 13-Apr-21 14:09:54

Don’t move there. You will regret it.

MollyG Tue 13-Apr-21 13:54:28

It may be why the current owners are wanting to move! I’d steer well clear

kwest Tue 13-Apr-21 13:53:30

No I would not think of moving in next to an aggressive dog.
A dear friend and I agreed to water each other's gardens when either of us went on holiday. I did a couple of times and then she told me her neighbour's alsation had got into the habit of leaving it's own garden and chasing her cats even to the extent of chasing them up the stairs in her house. My friend is lovely and afraid of nothing. She managed to get hold of the dog's collar and keep him held to the ground whilst her husband went next door and got the neighbours to retrieve their dog. It has happened twice since then until her husband was very clear that it must never happen again. I had to admit that I would possibly have a heart attack if a very lively alsation trapped me in my friends garden. Sadly we had to suspend the watering arrangement. I do actually love dogs but not fierce ones.

Riggie Tue 13-Apr-21 13:53:12

To be honest it would probably be the neighbour who would put me off!! Unless as others say he meant it in jest!! I'd have advised quick enquieies with the vendor about the neighbour but I guess as it is his heir who is selling he wont be able to tell them

Daisend1 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:36:18

Did you view through an agent ?Then what ever you decide and I would be reluctant to live next door to any one with what sounds an aggressive dog (what's it's owners like) then make the Agent /Seller aware of what was said to you .

BlueBelle Tue 13-Apr-21 13:14:25

I love the answers that say dogs don’t live for ever of course but it could be 2 years old and live 15 years!!! Would feel like forever if it was a nightmare
My biggest concern would be if the neighbours think that’s a funny thing to say what else might they find hilarious

Did your daughter etc see or hear their agressive dog ?

Lin663 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:13:14

Sounds like a recipe for neighbour problems...drop it like a hot potato....no house is worth that

Aepgirl Tue 13-Apr-21 13:08:23

Not all staffers are aggressive. Perhaps your daughter and son-in-law should ask other neighbours if they have any concerns.

Nanette1955 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:06:52

Oh dear, I really think I’d rethink if they have time! maybe try to talk to other neighbours to see if the dog has ever caused any problems, or if they were just joking!

Milliedog Tue 13-Apr-21 12:54:49

I would explain to the proposed neighbours that it is an offence to own an out of control dog.