Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should we buy a house with aggressive dog next door?

(160 Posts)
pigsmayfly. Fri 09-Apr-21 15:06:05

My DD and SIL are close to exchange on their first home. It’s exactly what they want, where they want it and there is much excitement. Today they popped round and met their proposed new neighbours, who looked at their tiny dog and said that their aggressive staffie would kill the little dog in seconds. AIBU to suggest they put up a high fence and carry on with the move? I feel quite worried

Lin52 Tue 04-May-21 07:36:41

What an awful prospective neighbour, no one says that in jest, it is not funny. Pulling out may cost a lot of money, that has to be taken into consideration I suppose, but living next door to someone who makes those kind of remarks on first meeting would make me not go ahead with the sale. What else has in store for you, perhaps speaking to the sellers of the house, why are they moving!!

Shel69 Thu 29-Apr-21 09:36:02

No if they are happy to have an aggressive dog that they haven't said they would control to protect the little dog, then no, probally the reason for selling the house, bad neighbours

tattynan Wed 28-Apr-21 21:04:10

Pigsmayfly what happened in the end?

ValerieF Tue 20-Apr-21 20:56:39

Personally I wouldn’t worry so much about the dog as to the neighbors! But IF it is all steam ahead with the sale I would introduce the dogs asap. You kind of get a feeling for how it is going to go! If it’s a definite no no then you can put up an indestructible fence. My feeling is the dogs will be the least of her problems tbh

Nannan2 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:14:41

easybee- staffies dont naturally hate other dogs- my daughter got another, much smaller dog, while she she still had her staffie(pomeranian cross) and it 'took it under its wing' straight away- looked after it and everything, especially on walks, they were together about 3yrs before staffie died, also 2 other family members visited with a dog, and their staffie wasnt bothered at all- see, its how the dog is reared/raised/looked after thats the key.

Nannan2 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:04:49

I would definitely not move there- the people nxt door are probably not going to be good or nice neighbours because their dog is aggressive- its how a dog is reared that makes it aggressive- so what does that tell you about those people?? My DD had a staffie from a pup- sadly it died last year, (getting on a bit and had developed illness) BUT, it was the loveliest, softest dog you could meet, they had dog before the kids, but still it wasnt jealous,(it even used to let my GD pull herself up on it when she learned to walk) it loved all the visitors/visiting kids, and never barked or growled at them.It even got me used to dogs, and im a cat lover really.As i said, its the people, not the dog, so really, if their staffie is aggressive, then they too are aggressive.Id say its a big mistake to move there.

Lilyflower Sun 18-Apr-21 12:00:38

No. Run!

Sarnia Sun 18-Apr-21 11:42:27

It is hard to pull out of a house sale when you are so close to the finishing line, you have spent money on surveys and the house ticks all or most of your wish-list boxes. However, buying a house is the most expensive purchase most of us ever make and although the house may be lovely, neighbours could make or break your idyll. Have you spoken to the vendors or estate agent about this? Your neighbours attitude would have taken the shine off moving there for me.

NanaPlenty Sun 18-Apr-21 11:38:52

I definitely would be put off the move - if it’s aggressive and the owners sound aggressive too saying what they did - why would you choose to live next door. Might be a dog that barks constantly if it’s aggressive too!

cc Sun 18-Apr-21 11:14:34

Calendargirl

The neighbours sound scary, never mind the dog!

It would certainly put me off.

I agree with this. They're clearly not people who take others into consideration.
They should pull out of the sale.

Ali08 Sun 18-Apr-21 08:57:45

If they were being serious, then I would definitely worry about the dog!
I had a Staffy and he was as soft as melted toffee but also like a mini Sherman tank if he was running around and collided with you.
Most are as soft, and loving, as mine was but some are treated as status symbols and/or guard dogs and trained as such!
They may have meant it as a joke, comparing their bigger dog to DDs little one and s/he may be a lovely animal. But if in doubt definitely put up a high & solid fence if they do move there and keep an eye on their little dog and themselves etc!

Sparkling Sun 18-Apr-21 04:12:58

It's the neighbours that would worry me, trouble from the off, the sellers must be over the moon getting away.

Shelflife Fri 16-Apr-21 00:42:06

This is a complete no no! The neighbours attitude does not bode well . I would keep well away !

Pammie1 Wed 14-Apr-21 17:30:16

If it would kill their dog, what would be the chances for a small child, or a baby ? If they know the dog is aggressive are they responsible with it - keeping it indoors or safely in their back garden etc ? If not, it might be time for a rethink.

DeeDe Wed 14-Apr-21 14:17:34

I would avoid both the neighbours and the dog with owners like that
Don’t walk into trouble, feel concerned for little children around there too...
They want reporting seems their quite aware what a outta control dangerous animal they have!!!!
angry

Shropshirelass Wed 14-Apr-21 09:35:47

No, not a risk I would take. They don’t sound as though they would be very nice neighbours anyway. The dog won’t be there for many years but the people will!

valerieventers Wed 14-Apr-21 06:55:30

nitpick48 agree 100%

valerieventers Wed 14-Apr-21 06:53:17

GRANDMABATTY agree with you 100%

Eloethan Tue 13-Apr-21 23:37:49

I don't think I would buy the house. The dog sounds frightening and the owners even more so.

mphammersley Tue 13-Apr-21 20:34:28

No would make living there stressful from the beginning!

netflixfan Tue 13-Apr-21 19:51:42

My whippet was attacked on Snowdon by a Staffie, he tore a big hole in her throat and she nearly died. His owner just walked away with him. Our dog's life was saved by a fantastic vet and daily nursing for weeks. She lived another five years and died at a good age. I would not buy that house. Even if it were said as a joke, there is a serious danger there. And if they have a baby one day ..............

jerseygirl Tue 13-Apr-21 19:40:51

No, dont do it, they will regret it. I wouldn't want them as neighbours either!

spandorah Tue 13-Apr-21 18:58:05

I was advised when buying a house to go and look at all times of day. Morning noon and night . See what the lay of the land is. Parking during school times etc etc. Go and speak to the neighbours on the other side of the dog owners. Try and get a feel for the place. You spend an awful lot of money on a house and you can’t exactly take it back. The son who is selling may not necessarily know of any issues his father had with the dog so you would ha e no comeback there. Check with the council see if there are any complaints about them.

harrysgran Tue 13-Apr-21 18:28:13

I would be looking elsewhere I wouldn't want to live next to neighbours who feel the need to keep an animal capable of such a thing

Nitpick48 Tue 13-Apr-21 18:11:31

You could move into a lovely house with lovely neighbours, then a month later someone could move in with half a dozen dogs and a bunch of noisy children! You take a chance whenever you move.