Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC overkill on reporting proposed european super league

(115 Posts)
EkwaNimitee Tue 20-Apr-21 13:24:08

I'm a regular listener to Radio 4's 5pm, the 6pm News and the World Tonight at 10pm. Yesterday, the lead news item on all 3 was the proposed european superleague for football. Each program had lengthy discussions on the subject. And the same today so far.
Is there really nothing more important or interesting going on in the country and the world than this?! Past surveys I've seen show that the majority of us just aren't interested in football. So why? Any answers anyone?

suziewoozie Wed 21-Apr-21 10:35:46

Mollygo

I’m not a football fan,and I used the off button so didn’t watch all the hoo-haa about it, but the publicity this time seems to have been a good idea.
Henetha a cap on player salaries is a great thought. Marcus Rashford could lead the way and might even be the first to say he doesn’t need his £200,000 per week.
Where would all the extra money go?
Lower prices for tickets so less well off fans could get to matches? ?
Money donated to charities? ? It could make a world of difference to a lot of people.
More money for club owners. ???

Why pick out MR? Apart from the fact that he made the Government look like the heartless swines they are? And why pick out high earning footballers anyway ? What part of market forces don’t people understand ?

Mollygo Wed 21-Apr-21 10:29:40

I’m not a football fan,and I used the off button so didn’t watch all the hoo-haa about it, but the publicity this time seems to have been a good idea.
Henetha a cap on player salaries is a great thought. Marcus Rashford could lead the way and might even be the first to say he doesn’t need his £200,000 per week.
Where would all the extra money go?
Lower prices for tickets so less well off fans could get to matches? ?
Money donated to charities? ? It could make a world of difference to a lot of people.
More money for club owners. ???

MerylStreep Wed 21-Apr-21 10:14:55

Sarnia
That’s the first thing I looked at when this was first proposed.
Added to that, JP Morgan are involved. That’s when you know it stinks.

henetha Wed 21-Apr-21 10:12:54

I don't like football, but millions do and this was important news and deserved the coverage it got.
Thank goodness these clubs have changed their mind and pulled out now. It was all about money, not sport.
It is still too much about money anyway, regardless of the above. It needs reforming. A cap on players salaries would be a good start.

Ro60 Wed 21-Apr-21 10:06:14

I'm surprised they didn't do any research before making this public. Egg on their face. ??

Sarnia Wed 21-Apr-21 08:58:49

That's that, then. The money grabbing owners will have to find some other way of dealing with their staggering amounts of debt. Perhaps refusing to pay players eye-watering salaries might be a start. I love football but £400,000 a week to kick a ball around a bit of grass? Come on!!!

Witzend Wed 21-Apr-21 08:14:17

I’m not remotely interested in football, nor is dh, but I do appreciate what a big deal this was for so many people. And even I was pleased to hear that the 6 major U.K. clubs have pulled out - a rare victory over what was apparently pure greed.

Cunco Wed 21-Apr-21 08:10:51

It was viewed as a bargaining position, a genuine proposal and a dead duck within 24 hours! I am not sure if Boris was looking for a way to get back in favour with the public by opposing the plan. He already seems to be ahead in the Polls although, in fairness, Polls don't have a great record and the public will make up its own mind when the time comes.

yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/04/16/voting-intention-con-43-lab-29-13-14-apr

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Apr-21 07:45:27

That went well then

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Apr-21 07:22:58

All six English Premier Clubs have all now pulled out of the Super League

vegansrock Wed 21-Apr-21 05:16:04

Super wealthy football club owners are in it for the money. Who knew?

Ro60 Wed 21-Apr-21 01:18:46

I did wonder is this a way Boris thinks he can get back in favour with Joe Public with local elections coming up - baring in mind his low opinion of us.

Urmstongran Tue 20-Apr-21 22:23:49

Spanish clubs Atletico Madrid and Barcelona are also understood to be in favour of withdrawing.

Urmstongran Tue 20-Apr-21 22:12:08

It’s big money.
The Far East - China & Korea are football (and betting) mad. The tv scheduling take the time zones into account for this highly lucrative market.

rafichagran Tue 20-Apr-21 21:13:52

Looks like Man City has withdrawn from the Super League.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 20-Apr-21 20:53:53

It’s all about money as football is no longer the family friendly game of years ago when entry was affordable and support of the teams. Then the players earned good but not ridiculous money and love of the game was what drove its popularity. Now it is commercial and money is what matters. The Super League is taking it a step further and ruining the competitive element which allows teams to attain success across the board.

MerylStreep Tue 20-Apr-21 20:50:10

Well that didn’t go well, did it? All over. The greedy money grabbing pigs don’t understand human nature, do they?

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Apr-21 20:14:44

It looks like it's starting to unravel, Jaxjacky. Good.

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Apr-21 20:02:03

Maggiemaybe just read, Man City have withdrawn, Chelsea to follow.

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Apr-21 19:58:24

Ekwa yes, I think there’s another thread on the situation in India.
I think if you’re not a football fan, the real passion and strong feelings about this news may have been underestimated. Similarly there are some news items others find very interesting and follow, I don’t. But, it’s a very relevant thread you started, perhaps not in the way you meant to!

ValerieF Tue 20-Apr-21 19:49:23

Well EkwaNimitee. You said it all - you have no interest in football. Thousands DO care and this is BIG news. Devastating to many so don’t minimize it. There is always the “off” button option.

EkwaNimitee Tue 20-Apr-21 19:19:47

Jaxjacky no particular expectations really but there is so much going on in the world I was taken aback when this was deemed most noteworthy and got the most airtime.
I’m probably prejudiced but I thought the brilliant technical achievement of getting a helicopter to fly on Mars was more newsworthy. Or what about COVID in India and the risk of it rampaging here?
Strange that the government is so slow to stop flights from there and so quick to threaten action against the clubs.

Aveline Tue 20-Apr-21 19:15:17

loislovesstevie- of course. I hadn't thought of that. Very nasty business all round.

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Apr-21 19:12:11

I've just read that Chelsea are preparing documentation to request a withdrawal from the Super League already. The plot thickens.

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Apr-21 19:00:24

How would this super league thingy affect the World Cup?

Well there's talk of players signed up for clubs who are part of the Super League being banned from playing for their national teams. It's not often I feel sorry for highly paid professional footballers, but the club owners are trying to drag them into this whether they want it or not.