Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think that my DIL uses too many cleaning products?

(183 Posts)
flopen Thu 22-Apr-21 17:11:17

I get on well with my DIL and we often go over and help with our grandson, who is still a baby.
But today she was cleaning while we waited for the baby to wake up, using a lot of sprays. They are in a tiny house with no ventilation and I can still feel the chemicals at the back of my nose, if you know what I mean.
I really don't think it's good for anyone, but am concerned about the effect on my grandson.
But I don't know what to say, if anything. Advice appreciated.

Torre Sun 25-Apr-21 17:34:45

Came home once about 30 years ago to find my MIL cleaning my kitchen floor because she thought it was dirty! It wasn’t dirty but that wasn’t the point...my house, my mortgage, my kids, my cleaning. Needless to say it was a very long time before she came again.
Don’t fix what’s not broken...do not ruin a valuable relationship there are far greater battles to fight!

welbeck Sun 25-Apr-21 17:30:15

Yammy wrote:
When I was young I used to red Cardinal the step before she came and the chap next door remarked "Kit inspection again". It really made me think especially as her favourite trick was to stand on tiptoes and take her hand along the top of my doors. I stopped bothering told my husband and next time at her house when there was an accumulation of dust in the bedrooms he wrote I love you in it on the dressing table. She never did anything again on a visit.
Each to their own.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
i love it. go Yammy. that's the way to do it. made me smile.

welbeck Sun 25-Apr-21 17:01:24

Galaxy

I think the best advice would be to provide all this amazing cleaning advice to the son. I am sure he would be interested.

just so.
or does cleaning require specifically female anatomy.

GrauntyHelen Sun 25-Apr-21 16:26:17

Think what you like but say nothing

Witzend Sun 25-Apr-21 16:16:57

Having read this lot, I’m glad to say that my lovely dd with 3 little ones is very ‘relaxed’ about cleaning. ?

Yammy Sun 25-Apr-21 16:10:03

Next time you are due a visit why don't you suggest you take the baby for a walk and sleep in their pram whilst she gets on with her work. What do you do sit with a cup of coffee and "secretly "observe.
Then baby and you are safe from fumes, you will not witness what products she uses and she will not feel spied on which she is probably more aware of than you think. Maybe she cleans in a different way when you are there to prove she is a good wife and mother.
If I was rude to my mother Mil as was suggested in a previous post it was only 1% of the 100% I got from her.

rascalsgran Sun 25-Apr-21 16:05:48

Just be pleased she cleans!

Doodledog Sun 25-Apr-21 15:44:57

You could always let her know when you are coming over, so that you don't interrupt her cleaning, and don't have to watch her doing it. I wouldn't want visitors to arrive whilst I was cleaning the house - I prefer to do that before people arrive, so I can relax with them. I would feel that even more keenly if I thought that my housework would end up being discussed online.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 25-Apr-21 15:27:44

How many of us who are horrified about cleaning spray have wood burning stoves and diesel cars for example? Not that I’m advocating any of them, but I suspect many of us may be polluters in some way which is detrimental to air quality. Glass houses and all that......

lemongrove Sun 25-Apr-21 15:19:33

I think the giving of cleaning products ( natural or unnatural)? would be a stepping on toes matter ( how would you have felt about MIL rolling up and giving you house cleaning stuff?)
My own mother and Grandma were demons for the liberal sprinklings of Vim, Dettol and anything else that kept the place spotless.I survived.Even survived Grandad’s pipe smoking which was pretty constant.
Say nothing to your DIL is my advice, but if sprays affect you then tell her so and that alone may make her think about the subject.

chris8888 Sun 25-Apr-21 15:08:22

Like others have said I would keep very quiet. Her home, her choice.

Kimrus Sun 25-Apr-21 15:04:15

I am a convert to everything natural and never once thought about how I was using chemicals around my family or my animals. I was invited along to an afternoon chat with a group of women and a lovely lady introduced us to doTerra oils. Witch Dr stuff my hubby would say. Well after listening and thought geez, I could try this stuff. My go to for cleaning is peppermint oil, vinegar and pure water. Love love love. My visitors always notice when they come into my house now and comment about the fresh smell. I now make all my DIY products, laundry detergent, dishwasher cleaner, shampoo, soap, you name it I make it. It actually works out cheaper than buying all the chemical stuff. We have terrible problems with the horse fly here. They truly bite and my animals hate them too. I make my own spray for them, all natural.
Suggestion flopen, have an afternoon tea or morning tea and invite a rep from an oil company to give a little chat. This way it isnt stepping on your DIL’s toes but offering an alternative, but please don’t tell her how to clean, it sure will be the worse thing you could say to your DILand friendship would be ruined. If you need more info, would only be too happy to assist you

LizziesMom Sun 25-Apr-21 14:55:29

Yeah it's not uncommon for grandmas and mothers-in-law to only really care about the health of their grandchild, and not the health of their adult offspring or in-laws. It's under the guise of control. They don't really care about the health of the grandchild. It's a guise for minute control. Get over it, you cannot control what cleaning products she uses and how often. It's so petty.

Lin663 Sun 25-Apr-21 14:51:25

Just leave it...it’s none of your business

BrandyGran Sun 25-Apr-21 14:49:07

Don't take any cleaning products to her! She might think you are hinting that her house isn't clean enough! Keep well out of it. It's up to her own mother to tell her these things.

Aepgirl Sun 25-Apr-21 14:19:51

No, keep quiet!

Sarahmob Sun 25-Apr-21 13:53:28

I only offer my opinion if it is asked for (and I’m Mum not M-I-L).

harold Sun 25-Apr-21 13:47:58

I use sprays as little as possible as I know they cause a reaction in my throat, causing coughing. I prefer the cream versions of some products which are available. If I do spray anything I usually open the window, then escape and close the door for a while.

Peasblossom Sun 25-Apr-21 13:40:42

I liked a clean house, my mil’s house was a s***hole, quite literally at times, with several elderly dogs and new puppies and horses tail bandages in the sink.

I never suggested she lived any differently and she never suggested anything of the kind to me.

And that is why we liked each other and were welcome in each other’s homes.

Cross that boundary - even with a gift- and you do so at your peril.

Redhead56 Sun 25-Apr-21 13:37:35

You do have to watch what you say but having said that it's dangerous to mix cleaning products. I moved house my DD was a baby there was a stain the the bath. I tried the usual bath cleaner it didn't work. I used strong bleach and another cleaning product together. Straight away it omitted a gas like smoke I struggled to open the window turned the tap on and shut the door. Got my DD from her cot and went down stairs. It burnt my hands and caused an eye infection. I didn't know at the time mixing these cleaners was so dangerous.

Hithere Sun 25-Apr-21 13:35:25

OP
Dont you also worry about your dil and son's damage due to those products?
Why only the gc?

Fernhillnana Sun 25-Apr-21 13:27:49

I agree with you actually. My son and DIL are very eco conscious and would never expose their baby to strong chemicals and bio disrupters in common cleaning stuff.

paperbackbutterfly Sun 25-Apr-21 13:26:41

My DIL is an eco friendly person. Her drains smell, toilet is stained and cooker has burnt on things. I wish she would use chemicals. She cleans but soap and water doesn't get rid of these things. I'd love to smuggle some bleach in ?

Caragran Sun 25-Apr-21 13:20:49

RUDE !!!

Theoddbird Sun 25-Apr-21 13:19:17

The only cleaning product I use is Detol clean and fresh multipurpose. It does everything from loo to floor shower to sink. Never ever use bleach....