Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think that my DIL uses too many cleaning products?

(182 Posts)
Callistemon Thu 22-Apr-21 17:55:43

I use Method cleaning products and they are supposed to be natural but they do smell very strong.

Perhaps she is following that cleaning woman on the internet - I was surprised that someone who is young was recommending the use of chemical products.
Mrs Hinch?

I just looked and she recommends cleaning wipes too!
shock

Doodledog Thu 22-Apr-21 17:49:33

BlueBelle

Good grief why do mother in laws look for trouble It’s really not your business if she stands on her head and does the soft shoe shuffle while cleaning her house
You cannot live her life, your way it just isn’t the way to go She’s got her way you’ve got yours

Absolutely this grin.

You can, of course, think what you like (although why it would cross your mind to criticise how other people clean their house is beyond me), but it would be 100% unreasonable for you to comment, and would stand a good chance of alienating your DIL.

BlueBelle Thu 22-Apr-21 17:42:50

Good grief why do mother in laws look for trouble It’s really not your business if she stands on her head and does the soft shoe shuffle while cleaning her house
You cannot live her life, your way it just isn’t the way to go She’s got her way you’ve got yours

midgey Thu 22-Apr-21 17:35:49

Ooh I wouldn’t say a word! Just keep out of the way when she is cleaning!

Elegran Thu 22-Apr-21 17:34:01

Next time she does it, wince and say "Oh, that goes for my sinuses! Spraying must be spreading it around into the air. What is in it?" That should make her read the label and read out what it contains (If the ingredients are listed!) which gives you a chance to say that you hope it has settled by the time the baby is awake, as it can't be good for his little lungs if it has this effect on you.

But don't keep pushing it - it is her house, and mother-in-laws who interfere risk being told to *.

Hithere Thu 22-Apr-21 17:28:17

I would say nothing at all and enjoy the visits

flopen Thu 22-Apr-21 17:11:17

I get on well with my DIL and we often go over and help with our grandson, who is still a baby.
But today she was cleaning while we waited for the baby to wake up, using a lot of sprays. They are in a tiny house with no ventilation and I can still feel the chemicals at the back of my nose, if you know what I mean.
I really don't think it's good for anyone, but am concerned about the effect on my grandson.
But I don't know what to say, if anything. Advice appreciated.