Gransnet forums

AIBU

House move request

(138 Posts)
NannyB2604 Tue 27-Apr-21 16:15:44

Hi everyone. We're in the process of selling our house and all seemed to be going ok until yesterday. The estate agent relayed a request from our purchasers: when they move in the want to pave the whole front garden to make standing room for their caravan and vintage Cadillac (seriously!). In connection with this, they've asked us to cut back the hedge and prune back or remove the (very well-established) shrubs in the garden as, I quote "They don't have time to do it"! Am I being unreasonable to say no? They saw what the garden was like when they put in their offer. By the way, the hedge and shrubs aren't running rampant - we keep them reasonably pruned to complement our currently lawned garden.

grandMattie Tue 27-Apr-21 18:53:09

No you are not being unreasonable. Cheeky bug...rs!
It reminds me of when we moved, the purchaser asked that we should leave the nails in the wall because “they too had a lot of pictures”! I had intended to but the request so annoyed my that I took out every single picture hook and just left the nails...

vampirequeen Tue 27-Apr-21 18:55:36

Tell them to do it themselves. They saw the house as it was. They can't start asking you to make alterations. What if they said they didn't like the colour scheme so could you buy their choice of paint and redecorate before you move? Or would you replace the carpets? They're just taking the p.

Lollin Tue 27-Apr-21 19:18:51

Huge no from me! Imagine if they then decide to make other requests or heaven forbid they fail to proceed at the last stage. Have they never bought a house?

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 27-Apr-21 19:44:59

There are rules in place now for paving over Front Gardens, see Planning Portal U.K.

Let them sort it out themselves.

Sparkling Tue 27-Apr-21 19:49:29

Definitely no. What a Liberty.

Knopflerfan Tue 27-Apr-21 19:59:05

I’m a retired solicitor NannyB2604 and I hope you’re taking all this wise advice to heart! Do nothing, it is up to them what they do after completion of the sale (and once you’ve got the money!)

But if there is anything nice in your garden which you’d like to move with you or share, I’d be saving some big pots with a view to do that, as others have suggested.
I’d be remarketing it but that’s just me thinking about your pretty garden (and your poor neighbours if you like them!) Stay strong and don’t be bullied, good luck!

SpringyChicken Wed 28-Apr-21 06:37:09

Definitely say no. The nerve of it. Nowadays, I think they have to have permission from the council to pave over a garden.

CafeAuLait Wed 28-Apr-21 06:57:04

I'm with everyone else. Heck no. They buy the house as it is and they can do any work they want done when they move in. They're just trying to pass the expense to you.

Gingster Wed 28-Apr-21 07:17:42

I don’t think so !!!!!

Colon39 Wed 28-Apr-21 07:23:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

annsixty Wed 28-Apr-21 08:19:36

Houses in my area are selling at ridiculous prices and within days of going on the market.
Just do as someone upthread suggests, if they don’t want it as seen put it back on the market and ask for more.
When buying my present house, the sellers asked if we wanted to buy a light fitting, it was elaborate and old fashioned so I said no.
They explained that they didn’t want to pay an electrician to dismantle it, so, when we had one of our choice fitted would we deliver the old one to them.
They never got it although they did ask within days of us moving in if it had been taken down, they never asked again.
Some people have no scruples.

Grammaretto Wed 28-Apr-21 08:36:15

I would be annoyed with the Estate Agent who passed on their unreasonable request. The agent is working for you, right?

The people who bought our last house wanted everything brand new so ripped out the old bathroom and kitchen. We saw the bath and basin on the front lawn as we happened to be passing and rescued the bath which I still use everyday. The basin had been smashed. We asked for the Rayburn too but they wanted money for that so we paid them.
(We had moved to turn an industrial building into a home our big project )
They invited us to see all the changes they had made and foolishly we went back to see white paint on the beautiful oak panelling, concrete slabs over the old brick path, a favourite tree felled. We just had to suck it up. No longer ours.....

B9exchange Wed 28-Apr-21 09:34:02

I cannot believe the cheek of some people, did they really think you would be prepared to do that?

They will be asking you to reduce the price next, so that they can afford the money to do it, don't fall for it. If you give in to this demand they will think you are gullible and come up with an even worse suggestion!

Shinamae Wed 28-Apr-21 09:37:31

Not on your Nellie!!!!!

trisher Wed 28-Apr-21 10:19:19

Just say "No"! What they intend to do with the front is nothing to do with you so I don't know why they have told you. You might, if you have nice neighbours, want to warn them about what is being planned.

Beswitched Wed 28-Apr-21 11:26:29

I would seriously consider putting the house back on the market. This cheeky rude pair sound like they will be a nightmare to deal with.

Newatthis Wed 28-Apr-21 12:05:44

How cheeky! Your not being unreasonable a all. Don't agree to anything, it's their responsibility no yours and the cost must be met by them AFTER completion..

muffinthemoo Wed 28-Apr-21 12:59:40

Hahaha no chance. The costs of the landscaping they plan to do are their costs, not yours.

JenniferEccles Wed 28-Apr-21 14:51:13

Honestly what is the matter with these demanding people?
This is the third ‘cheeky request’ thread I have read on here in just the last half an hour.
Are these people on the increase?

I hate the trend of having attractive front gardens paved, especially as in this case to make room for a blasted caravan and an old car.

No wonder so many areas have dreadful problems with flooding these days.

Knopflerfan Wed 28-Apr-21 18:32:56

JenniferEccles - absolutely agree, the last thing the environment needs is more car parks, more front gardens concreted over, more run-off and hence more flooding.
If anyone knows more about legal restrictions on front garden conversion to parking, I’d be really interested, thanks if you can help.

hazel93 Wed 28-Apr-21 18:49:31

Straight on to your solicitor, no need whatever to go through the estate agent.
She / he will tell them exactly where to go.

Kestrel Thu 29-Apr-21 10:36:53

I agree with B9exchange I think they are trying to get a reduction in price at the last minute with the tactic of bringing up something they will say will cost them money to change. As far as I know it's a buyers market at the mo so they are in the weaker position

kangaroo73 Thu 29-Apr-21 10:37:10

What a cheek. Just say ‘no’

Paperbackwriter Thu 29-Apr-21 10:38:30

It's so depressing when front gardens are paved over. It's bad for the water table and often looks awful and insects etc are losing their habitat. I don't see why you should be expected to make this any easier for them to do! (Or you could say you'll do it and it'll cost them £Thismuch..)

Coco51 Thu 29-Apr-21 10:39:59

It doesn’t belong to them yet, they are not your employers so if you even consider taking on the work, quote a very high price - payable before said work begins