Gransnet forums

AIBU

Does anyone else.....

(92 Posts)
Purplepixie Sun 02-May-21 13:39:28

Find Gransnet so clinqy and unfriendly? Honestly I have posted lots of times and often been ignored or just had some rotten PMs sent to me. How do I get into the gang that is the GOOD MORNING topic? I am invisible on there! Ok I am going to run naked through each topic and I still won’t be noticed. I am here and a real person............................... Also I bleed when cut and cry when hurt.

Nannagarra Wed 12-May-21 18:52:38

Having read and enjoyed the GM thread since October, I thought it only fair I should contribute. I’ve come to realise that the more I appear as an individual (whilst maintaining my anonymity) the more I’m noticed. When I receive an acknowledgement I’m delighted but I don’t expect it. I’m with Fanny when she says the more you put in the more you get out. I’m pleased to see Purplepixie posting; come back to GM BlueBelle - you always make such valuable contributions which I enjoy reading. Yes, some do share a history but it’s a lovely way to start the day!

Purplepixie Wed 12-May-21 17:42:00

Thank you for all of your interesting replies. ?

BlueBelle Wed 12-May-21 17:27:31

I don’t think anyway could be daft enough to want or expect their posts to be acknowledge all the time I certainly don’t, sometimes people do, and sometimes they don’t, and that’s all fine
I was just surprised when I tried the good morning thread for a few weeks and everyone was saying ‘how’s your back today A’ ‘good luck on the trip out B’ good morning AB and C I tried to pop in and say something, a few times but no response so I didn’t ever bother again and yes I did feel it was the same people each day and there was no room at the inn
There was no bad feeling on my side at all. it is what it is I was just giving the side of things

overthehill Wed 12-May-21 17:26:38

I haven't really thought of it in the terms of friendly. I put lots of posts up on here and find I get plenty of replies. I'm sometimes shot down in flames, but I expect that because I don't always pick easy subjects. I personally enjoy discussions, with different points of view, not just a load of back slapping. I think it is to do with your perception of what a forum like this is for....just discussion in my view.

AGAA4 Wed 12-May-21 17:18:42

Maybe a Good Afternoon thread would be good for those of us who have not felt welcome on the Good Morning one.

M0nica Wed 12-May-21 17:13:41

I do not think GN is cliquey, but I think all of us have topics we tend always to respond to because they interest us and other subjects that bore us stupid so we never join them and that means certain people's names occur frequently, or not, on different threads.

I wold say it is impossible to be cliquy on GN beause everyone is free to join every thread and anyone can read every thread.

Could I suggest that if everyone's post was acknowledged every time they posted, GN would become so boring, full of posts acknowledging every ones useful/interesting electrifying post that the forums would become unusable and end up joining all the other dead forums in the sky.

Marydoll Wed 12-May-21 17:03:26

The Good Morning thread is lovely and friendly, but I do think it is a bit cliquey;

I'm sorry to read people feel that way. I suppose it depends what you are looking for on GN. I had been posting on it for a long time, before anyone ever acknowledged any of my posts. It doesn't bother me at all. We can't be expected to respond to every post we read on GN or expect posters to respond to us. If they do respond , that's a bonus. People not commenting nor mentioning you personally doesn't mean that you are boring or people are ignoring you.
I don't post to get a response, I see it as a conversation and social interaction with friends in my somewhat restricted life. Being a social animal, I miss my colleagues and now friends, due to shielding. It's interesting to hear how others are planning to spend their day. It gives me pleasure to hear of others' activities.

Like real life, it takes a long time to get to know and trust people and all of us were newbies at one time on the GM thread. I always used to tell my pupils that you had to be a friend to get a friend. It's not easy!

Curlywhirly Wed 12-May-21 16:38:59

BlueBelle

I don’t find it unfriendly but I find most of my posts are ignored so it all sounds pretty normal purplepixie

I ve never had any luck on the Good morning thread I ve tried a few times to get onboard but my good mornings are rarely answered and I do find that a difficult one to get involved in, as I presume it’s the same people most days who are familiar with each other so I don’t try any more
I just keep posting away and sometimes it feels you’re talking to yourself but hey ho
I hope you don’t get any more nasty PM s I ve never had that problem

Agree with all you say BlueBelle. The Good Morning thread is lovely and friendly, but I do think it is a bit cliquey; I did post regularly for a short time, but gave up and now tend to just glance at it some mornings without contributing.
I think I have ever only started 2 threads, preferring to just join in other people's threads (usually the ones where I can help to answer a query or anything regarding animals). I very rarely contribute to the political threads (though I love reading them!). I am amazed at how prejudiced and unreasonable some of the comments are - I wouldn't stand a chance if I joined in! All in all, I do enjoy being a member of GN, as it fills a small gap in my life since retirement- instead of chatting to the girls at work about last nights TV, current affairs, the best place to holiday etc, etc, I can just log on to GN and chat away to my heart's content ?

TrendyNannie6 Wed 12-May-21 15:07:01

I wouldn’t say gransnet is unfriendly, maybe a bit clinqy I think you will find that though wherever you post! I think I’ve answered your posts purplepixie, sorry you feel that way! I think it just the fact people choose to answer anything that interests them at the time, I would report a nasty PM. I’ve always had nice PM’s, you do sound very hurt purplepixie, keep posting don’t be disheartened x

Purplepixie Wed 12-May-21 14:53:45

Oh the purple Pixie is gorgeous. Love it. X ?

nanna8 Wed 12-May-21 13:51:57

For years I have had a little purple pixie above my fireplace!

nanna8 Wed 12-May-21 13:49:12

You too, purple, though for us it is nearly bedtime. I do know what you mean,guess that’s life.

Purplepixie Wed 12-May-21 13:14:03

There are a lot of friendly people on here but I stay by my OP in that there are some cliquey and unfriendly people on here. We all know which topics I am on about as well. I will continue to plod along though as I do like most of the topics. Have a safe and happy day.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 12:07:04

Possiblt think because we are old we are also Gaga. Their loss. I’d be willing to bet there are a lot of professionals and very,very bright people on here !

Doodledog Thu 06-May-21 11:57:50

Maggiemaybe

nanna8

Elegran what I was wondering is something like an ‘ignore’ button. Not to remove their posts so much as not to have to look at them personally. I have come across this on some forums, very useful when you find someone very irritating! Keeps the blood pressure down!

There was once a thread about that. I think GNHQ’s reasoning for not having it was that it would make some threads very confusing if people weren’t reacting to or were repeating what their hidden posts said.

I agree about the blood pressure though. smile

This is nonsense (the GN response, not your reporting of it!).

I post on a number of forums, some very small 'friends'-type ones, and GN has the fewest facilities of any of them. The most basic and cheap bb board has facilities to block posts from 'foes' (as they are called), to notify posters if they have been quoted in the threads, to see who is the last poster on a thread (so that you don't have to keep opening the thread to see if there have been further responses) and to open the last post directly, as well as things like the ability to edit posts for typos or unclear sentences. This can be adjusted so that it is only live for a few minutes, to stop malicious use.

I get the impression that GN assumes that posters here are unsophisticated and happy to settle for whatever we are 'given', despite the fact that the 'grey pound' (ie our spending power) is valuable and that we bring in advertising revenue as well as money from media outlets who use our posts as copy.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 11:45:11

Thanks Maggie and Elegran,
I suppose things in print often seem a lot more black and white than when you are in real life and have the body language!

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-May-21 11:29:31

nanna8

Elegran what I was wondering is something like an ‘ignore’ button. Not to remove their posts so much as not to have to look at them personally. I have come across this on some forums, very useful when you find someone very irritating! Keeps the blood pressure down!

There was once a thread about that. I think GNHQ’s reasoning for not having it was that it would make some threads very confusing if people weren’t reacting to or were repeating what their hidden posts said.

I agree about the blood pressure though. smile

Elegran Thu 06-May-21 09:53:53

As far as I know you can't do that on the threads. The "block" choice in your inbox does that - it blocks anyone who has sent you a nasty PM.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 09:25:24

Elegran Thu 06-May-21 09:13:24

You can block getting PMs from a sender, but you can't block posts from them from appearing on the threads.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 06-May-21 09:11:13

I think GN can appear unfriendly because many frequent posters know each other well, and know how to support or push each other’s buttons, as witnessed particularly on the politics threads. You need a good memory to remember posters, their interests and opinion on certain issues, and so I can’t participate in that sport sad

I think the “like” button is a bad idea, because it may encourage posters to be competitive, vying for popularity, and then GN would become truly unfriendly.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 08:54:45

Just curious but how do you block a poster you don’t want to read/ deal with ?

EkwaNimitee Thu 06-May-21 08:51:35

Nasty PM's are a different matter...report them.

EkwaNimitee Thu 06-May-21 08:50:41

I'm relatively new here too and generally read and post on the Good Morning thread. I don't find it unfriendly or cliquey. Obviously some people have been on there a lot longer and know each other so are more likely to respond to each others posts. I have had posts acknowledged and done the same myself. As others have said, you can't realistically respond to every persons post. It doesn't mean yours has not been read. Friendships grow slowly as in real life....don't give up!

TerriBull Thu 06-May-21 08:42:10

Sometimes making a post on say "what do you have for breakfast" isn't going to elicit a response as I imagine, no one is really going to come back with a "what brand of Greek yogurt do you normally buy?" or "do you like your bacon crispy?" I think many of my posts are just me ruminating really.

I think sending nasty PMs is shocking, I've only had one in all the ten years I've been on GN, it makes me wonder about anyone who would do such a thing, no matter how much you disagree, sending someone you've never met a horrible PM is really off imo.

Belated welcome Purplepixie.