Gransnet forums

AIBU

No anaesthetic: am I being a wimp?

(143 Posts)
JackK Fri 07-May-21 18:08:04

Today I was called by the hospital for a hysteroscopy (which may also include a biopsy while they're 'in there') next Thursday, and instructed to take 2 paracetamol and an ibuprofen beforehand.
When I asked whether a local anaesthetic was possible ... the answer was an apologetic no.
Am I being a wimp? My pain threshold is pretty high, but the thought of it ... aaaaargh.

GrauntyHelen Wed 12-May-21 17:49:49

I've had 3 hysteroscopies without anaesthetic no problem slight brief discomfort I've not had vaginal deliveries The trick is to relax and let everything go slack All the best

Oldbat1 Wed 12-May-21 18:22:49

I’ve had a total abdominal hysterectomy which was a 6wk recovery. Before this operation was scheduled I had biopsies taken by consultant at an outpatient appointment without anaesthetic. Admittedly wouldn’t wish to have that often but it was ok. However if you wish anaesthetic I would strongly and calmly request it. Best wishes.

effalump Thu 13-May-21 13:15:39

Perhaps a local drug pusher could supply you with a couple of spliffs. grin I certainly wouldn't have anything like that done without something to numb the pain.

Hithere Thu 13-May-21 13:23:24

I hope "local drug pusher" means pharmacy or any legal establishment

JackK Thu 13-May-21 14:16:32

I've no idea how to respond to individual comments, but I'm grateful for all of your contributions! Thank you! They made me laugh, cringe and calmer !
Tonight's the night ... 6.10pm eeeeek. Thank you for all the best wishes; I'll report back when it's all over ???

Calendargirl Thu 13-May-21 14:26:59

Hope it’s ok JackK

JackK Thu 13-May-21 20:32:34

Home now!
They gave me the choice of gas and air or to rebook for a GA. I opted for the former ... it wasn't too bad but I don't think I'd be saying that had I not had the gas and air!
They found a polyps that they want to remove, so when I go in for that I'm opting for a GA.
Thanks again for all your support - it's kept me going this week!

JaneJudge Thu 13-May-21 20:44:50

The first one I had they said take two paracetamol and have a bowl of rice Krispies before I drove there. They had only given me a leaflet about it and I wasn't really explained to me that 5 people would be with me a surgical theatre and it would last two hours fgs, then I would have to drive home

JaneJudge Thu 13-May-21 20:45:41

they removed all my polyps on the first Jack x so I'm glad you had gas and air

Oldbat1 Thu 13-May-21 21:07:54

Pleased it all went well. Have a relaxing evening. Hope you don’t have to wait long for the next stage.

Eloethan Fri 14-May-21 00:28:18

JaneJudge That sounds horrendous.

JackK Glad it went well - bet it's a relief it's over!

FarNorth Fri 14-May-21 00:47:12

Glad to hear it wasn't so bad JackK.

Calendargirl Fri 14-May-21 06:55:30

What a relief for you to have it ‘done’. Glad you are ok.

mokryna Sat 15-May-21 00:49:27

Pleased you managed and are home again. Bet you slept well.
I have had three ops at different times to remove polyps and I have never had to go through what you did.

JackK Sat 15-May-21 08:39:34

Thank you!

Baggs Sat 15-May-21 08:48:54

I've never had this procedure and, having read this thread, rather hope I never do. I never had period cramps so mention of that doesn't tell me much. Mind you, my sister had period cramps at school, and they were bad enough for her to start chewing the library curtains!

I have had a colonoscopy with sedation. I think I fell asleep.

Baggs Sat 15-May-21 08:49:41

PS Glad it wasn't too bad for you, JackK.