Gransnet forums

AIBU

Joggers

(68 Posts)
Beswitched Sun 09-May-21 22:03:46

Has anyone else found themselves becoming quite hostile about joggers during the pandemic?
I never really took much notice of them before, but during the worst of the pandemic so many of them seemed to have no scruples about running up behind people and almost brushing against them as they passed by, puffing and panting as they did so.
Not to mention the ones running down the middle of the pavement and assuming everyone would jump out of their way.

It also annoyed me the way so many joggers chose the busiest area of the park, near the picnic benches and coffee shop to jog instead of the less busy areas.

Obviously there are lots of considerable joggers around, but their image has been done no favours by the ignorant self centred minority who couldn't seem to get it into their heads that no one wanted them panting, gasping and sweating beside them during the scariest days of covid.

Chardy Mon 14-Jun-21 12:16:05

The local prom is obviously getting busier now summer is here. Cyclists and joggers mean you have to do the green cross code when trying to get onto the beach. But escooters are illegal (unless they're local authority ones in the trial areas - that's not us) and are scary to old 'uns, parents of little ones and dog walkers.

MamaCaz Sat 15-May-21 22:31:14

Pedestrians who suddenly walk into roads without looking are pretty annoying too, and many do it. They think that because they can't hear anything, they needn't look, then glare/swear at the poor cyclist who had to swerve dangerously to avoid them.

Then there are the pedestrians who mosey down the middle of quiet country lanes, who don't/can't hear bicycle bells being rung constantly from about 50 meters bring but get furious when same cyclist shouts a friendly 'coming up behind' when nearer, yelling at them to 'get a bell"!

And pedestrians who let their dogs on extendable leads wander freely across roads, again oblivious to the danger this can pose to road users.

Am I anti-pedestrian? No, I walk more than I cycle. All I'm trying to do is point out that there are inconsiderate idiots doing every activity, but they are a tiny minority.

What really gets my goat is this blanket 'hatred' and intolerance of other people who enjoy a particular activity, be it jogging, cycling, walking or whatever!
I really hate intolerance! ?

Joyfulnanna Sat 15-May-21 22:06:40

They get on my nerves too as they usually pass too close puffing and panting as if they own the pavement, everybody's got to get out of their way. Problem is there are very few running tracks on parks.

AussieNanna Sat 15-May-21 03:38:18

I think most joggers, cyclists, dog walkers, scooters, pedestrians etc are considerate of others.
Seems a lot of petty annoyance at anyone doing anything different

Barmeyoldbat Fri 14-May-21 14:47:01

Most of us who cycle and jog are considerate to others, after all we are are all going out to enjoy ourselves. What I can't stand is these people who stop in the middle of a shared, walk cycle path and block it with kids, scooters, prams and dogs and make no effort to move when you ring your bell. I think if more of you took up some sort of outside exercise you would be a lot fitter and happier. Rant over.

Craftycat Thu 13-May-21 11:43:28

They don't really bother me but I wish they would move out of the way when they are coming towards you. We have grass verges between footpath & the road & they could easily move onto that instead of squeezing past. If there are more than one of them I usually move but it does annoy me a bit.

bikergran Thu 13-May-21 10:01:18

I'm fine with joggers or who ever, but!! when I'm driving along a street/road etc and they! expect me! to stop to let them carry on, well I'm not too pleased

Few weeks ago whilst leaving my daughters I was coming out of side street on to main road but I had! to stop before I got the the small junction as this jogger woman was not for stopping at the edge of the pavement, and gave me the dirtiest look ever, like "how dare you be in a car on the road" hmm

Shropshirelass Thu 13-May-21 09:01:18

We have a narrowboat and I find that people who jog and cycle on the tow paths have little consideration for the boaters who actually have to pay a yearly licence fee to use the canals and moor alongside the towpaths, many have dogs and even cats who mill around in the area of their boat minding their own business. They, cyclists especially, come hurtling along the tow paths with total disregard for moorers. I am not a runner and my usual comment is ‘they will have knee problems when they are older with that constant pounding!’ Maybe I am getting old and grumpy?

Yorki Wed 12-May-21 22:33:36

Beswtched re: joggers... Here here. Bloody nuisance.

Hymnbook Wed 12-May-21 21:02:52

It isn't joggers l have to be aware of now. It's those yellow scooters that have appeared on the pavements causing trips and falls. They wiz by silently at such a speed no warning.

Thirdinline Wed 12-May-21 18:31:58

I thought you meant the item of apparel, ie tracksuit bottoms! It took me a while to work out that you meant people out running in public ??‍♀️

Nanna58 Wed 12-May-21 18:29:40

Only took up jogging during the pandemic, hated the buggers before that so knew how to behave myself when running( staggering!) ?

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Wed 12-May-21 18:29:17

Do my head in when walking the dog and they come at me. I move over and try and hide my face but the worst are those that make those disgusting noises while bringing up spit/phlegm and then spitting onto the pavement? I have been known to tell them what I think of that behaviour?

Cornishgreenhouse Wed 12-May-21 17:49:01

MayBee70 thank you ?

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 17:36:31

Can I just say to all the cyclists and joggers that are considerate I really do appreciate it !

GraceQuirrel Wed 12-May-21 17:30:54

Joggers and cyclists get on my pip. We have a lovely nature walk that goes around a circular lake near to me. It’s a bloody circle and they cycle round it at speed and the runners go round it over and over and seem to think you and your dogs should leap out of the way.

Elvis58 Wed 12-May-21 17:22:00

Cyclists riding 3 a breast on narrow lanes are my pet hate or worse still on the pavement,luckily does not happen where l live now.Tractors are the norm.Joggers few and far between! So no dont bother me.

Cornishgreenhouse Wed 12-May-21 15:32:36

I am a jogger and wish everyone wasn’t tarred with the same brush as being impolite. I always give a wide berth when going past someone, often crossing the road or going into the road myself. I also don’t huff and puff and like Speldnan said are unlikely to be infected and able to run!
Here most people greet you with a friendly smile, wave or hello when you pass them and most people seem to be happy to share the outdoors, however they use it. I guess we all have as much right to our countryside and paths as each other.
Transmission has been proven to be extremely low outside and a jogger will be in your airspace for such a tiny time.
I have been in supermarkets with people pushing past me, reaching over me and coughing whilst queuing (too close) behind me. To me they pose far more risk than those trying to maintain their health, fitness and enjoyment of the outdoors outside

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 15:19:30

I know that many people at worst laugh at us for getting out of their way and at best don’t even notice us. However a woman walked past us the other day and shouted to her son who was a few yards behind to give us space. As we walked past I said ‘thank you Oliver’ at which he looked very uncomfortable and mumbled ‘you’re welcome’. I know my daughter has drummed it into her boys to give people space.

nipsmum Wed 12-May-21 15:01:36

I see many joggers and cyclists in the park everyday when I walk my dogs. I just step to the side out of their way and try to keep the dogs from tripping them up. Its not hard. Live and let live is what I was taught. We live on a crowded planet and everyone should at least try to keep life simple. What would some people do of they lived in some of the eastern countries that are much more crowded than ours.?

Ellet Wed 12-May-21 13:26:27

I too am one of the people who throw themselves into the nearest hedge, it’s that or the road, when unthinking people keep walking/jogging/cycling towards me in the middle of the pavement and seem determined not to deviate from their desired path. Strangely, it tends to be young people who think everyone else should move out of their way. I am in the vulnerable category and turn away from joggers and cyclists. Why should that irritate anyone? It seems I have to look out for myself as no one else is bothered about my well-being and why should they be?

Speldnan Wed 12-May-21 13:20:27

Pps I’m 71 btw so no “arrogance of youth” here! ?

Purplepixie Wed 12-May-21 13:18:10

No, they dont bother me one bit. I just wish I was built more for running as I would probably put my eyes out with my boobs. Never been athletic even at school. Once we did a cross country run and me and a friend went home only to get the cane the next day! Ah those were the days!

Speldnan Wed 12-May-21 13:17:46

Ps it’s the dog walkers that annoy me! They often take up all the path and either have a lead crossing it or allow their dogs to pester you.

Speldnan Wed 12-May-21 13:15:28

I’m one of them! I don’t huff and puff and most regular runners wouldn’t. I always go round walkers and faster runners than me go round me- there’s a sort of code where I live. Re Covid, I doubt many runners would actually be out running if they were infected! Your body wouldn’t allow it!