Gransnet forums

AIBU

Joggers

(67 Posts)
Beswitched Sun 09-May-21 22:03:46

Has anyone else found themselves becoming quite hostile about joggers during the pandemic?
I never really took much notice of them before, but during the worst of the pandemic so many of them seemed to have no scruples about running up behind people and almost brushing against them as they passed by, puffing and panting as they did so.
Not to mention the ones running down the middle of the pavement and assuming everyone would jump out of their way.

It also annoyed me the way so many joggers chose the busiest area of the park, near the picnic benches and coffee shop to jog instead of the less busy areas.

Obviously there are lots of considerable joggers around, but their image has been done no favours by the ignorant self centred minority who couldn't seem to get it into their heads that no one wanted them panting, gasping and sweating beside them during the scariest days of covid.

EllanVannin Sun 09-May-21 22:08:14

They've always got on my nerves. Puffing and panting---then sweating and looking half dead. I don't get it.

eazybee Sun 09-May-21 22:08:35

Can't say I encountered many.
Still hate cyclists more.

BlueBelle Sun 09-May-21 22:08:44

No I have to disagree I think it’s lovely to have an outdoor interest especially if you are not a strong enough runner to be a club runner then jogging is a lovely pursuit out in the open air
Perhaps I m lucky where I live and haven’t found it to be so anti social as you describe but I wish I was a runner as I’d love to join them I enjoy watching the Park runs which should start up beginning of next month

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 09-May-21 22:15:56

We are more likely to be hit by a tractor than a jogger, we see some cyclists but that’s it.

nadateturbe Sun 09-May-21 22:41:35

They don't bother me other than I'm just plain jealous as I struggle to do my daily "round the block".

BigBertha1 Sun 09-May-21 22:45:20

The joggers and runners here are very good and usually overtake walkers with a good margin and a smile or wave. We see lots on the canal paths.

Loislovesstewie Mon 10-May-21 06:53:53

eazybee

And the people on mobility scooters who whizz past at breakneck speed, and think I can jump out of the way. If they are going at that speed they should be on the road! End of rant!

Grannybags Mon 10-May-21 09:14:26

I agree Beswitched I put them into Room 101 on that thread!

timetogo2016 Mon 10-May-21 09:54:06

There does seem to be a whole lot more joggers of late,but tbh cyclists and mobility scotters pee me of more,my dh was hit by a scooter whilst we were walking,the driver said it was the scooters fault, lost for words.
He had a heck of a bruise and was in alot of pain for a few days.

AussieNanna Mon 10-May-21 10:53:04

No.

doesnt annoy me.

I think it is good to see people out exercising.

Kim19 Mon 10-May-21 10:55:04

I've no trouble with them other than being a bit jealous I guess.

JenniferEccles Mon 10-May-21 12:27:28

The risk of contracting covid from anyone outside, even from the much maligned joggers is so tiny it’s really not worth worrying about.

The numbers of infected people has dropped so much but even at the height of the pandemic, the half a second or so it takes for someone running to get past us is not long enough to pass on any infection.

To be honest I get more irritated with those who shrink into bushes, almost falling backwards into them in some cases, when anyone passes them !

LisaP Wed 12-May-21 10:37:32

eazybee

I am a cyclist - but I am also more than a cyclist, as are other cyclists..
We are, Mothers, Grandmothers, Sisters, Wives, Aunties, Grandfathers, Fathers, Husbands, Sons, Brothers, Uncles.
Share the road people..

Subi Wed 12-May-21 10:46:39

Huffing and puffing as they jog past very close, they seem to increase hugely during lockdown, and cyclist who ignore fact that there is no cycling allowed on common, but speed past ignoring any dogs or children who could get into their path! Normally see very few people mainly dog walkers,

Longrunkaren Wed 12-May-21 10:51:37

I think all of us who use public spaces, be they roads or parks should be considerate of others, whatever we are doing. I walk, run and cycle, but I try to pick times to run in the park when it is less busy, especially if I am going for a fast time and therefore breathing hard. Early mornings are quietest I find. If running on a pavement, I always call out "excuse me please" if I am trying to pass a group that is taking up the whole width, and I say "thank you" if they do let me through. You may be seeing more people out running because gyms are closed, and people cannot run near their workplaces if they are working from home. The phenomenon I have noticed since the beginning of lockdown is an explosion in the number of dogs in the parks. That concerns me more than people using other means than cars to get about or to exercise.

Longrunkaren Wed 12-May-21 10:53:41

Hear hear. Outdoors is very low risk, especially as many of us are now fully-vaccinated

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 11:02:41

Yes. Joggers and cyclists, the latter of which sometimes whizz past me when I’m walking my dog and don’t seem to realise that if she moves sideways they might hit her. And they sometimes spit as well. Joggers are just as bad and although the virus is less transmissible outside (there have been cases of outside transmission in Canada I believe) they are breathing very heavily. You only have to see how far the vapour trail goes when someone is smoking to realise how far ones breath goes when breathing out heavily. My daughter jogs a lot but always crosses the road when going past someone or at least moves as far away as possible.

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 11:07:10

JenniferEccles

The risk of contracting covid from anyone outside, even from the much maligned joggers is so tiny it’s really not worth worrying about.

The numbers of infected people has dropped so much but even at the height of the pandemic, the half a second or so it takes for someone running to get past us is not long enough to pass on any infection.

To be honest I get more irritated with those who shrink into bushes, almost falling backwards into them in some cases, when anyone passes them !

Re the last paragraph. So you’re more annoyed with people that are doing everything they can to protect themselves and those around them. Have you considered that they might have a compromised immune system or have co morbidities? You are actually describing me and my partner and I won’t tell you what we think of people that give us weird looks when we’re giving them space.

Tea and cake Wed 12-May-21 11:07:39

I'm a runner. I don't get close to other people when running, it's usually me who gets out of the way. I say 'thank you' and 'excuse me'. The main problem is cyclists who don't have bells and don't understand that you can't hear them coming up from behind. And if at times I'm sweating and panting so be it, why would that concern anyone else? Live and let live.

Petalpop Wed 12-May-21 11:08:41

I go for walks before the lark in the morning and most joggers are ok at that time in the morning waving and giving space - but there is always one pig ignorant one. My main problem is with cyclists. 4 time during the pandemic (one of them was this morning) I have nearly been knocked flying as they come round a blind bend at top speed on the pavement and if I did not stop and look I could have been badly injured. First - they should be in the road and NOT the pavement and secondly they should NOT be going full speed ahead around a blind bend.

LynneH Wed 12-May-21 11:14:11

JenniferEccles

Even without the risk of covid - and it’s still there, albeit small - joggers who get too close are a menace. When they approach from behind, it’s impossible to get out of their way - and why should we? Common courtesy, at any time, never mind during a pandemic, suggests that you don’t inflict yourself on other people. There’s plenty of space for them to keep their distance, without encroaching on mine

Theoddbird Wed 12-May-21 11:14:26

I think it wonderful that more people are out getting fit. Healthy people means less stress for the NHS.

Dee1012 Wed 12-May-21 11:16:29

I don't have a problem with anyone taking exercise i.e jogging, cycling etc.
I do object to it being done with no consideration for anyone else...cyclists on the pavement, riding 2 abreast with no bells, running or jogging and expecting others to move out of the way, large mobility scooters on the pavement going at quite a speed - one day I was with my son, who walks slowly and with the aid of two crutches, someone on a mobility scooter shouted "will you move" at him, the only place he could move to was in a busy road until we'd walked about another 50yds!!

earnshaw Wed 12-May-21 11:17:18

dont really look as though they are enjoying themselves do they