Gransnet forums

AIBU

TV problems - DH's attitude

(165 Posts)
Trisha57 Mon 10-May-21 21:28:15

We have treated ourselves to a new Smart TV which is bigger and better than our old one. I paid for half of it, which is our usual practice. The TV has super HD and would be brilliant if we were able to use all its facilities. However, my husband has discovered that if we use the proper route to the TV via its own remote control, he will not be able to access Now TV to watch some of his favourite team's football matches. We also have Sky Sport which costs quite a lot of money per month so that he can watch football. I pay half the subscription cost to both Now TV and Sky Sport although I never watch those channels. So, the upshot is that we watch TV via another route with our old remote control and the picture is far less sharp, and the sound is very fuzzy. Tonight, the old TV remote packed up and nothing will bring it back to life, so the TV got stuck on one channel. I suggested we used new remote control as it was supposed to be used, but of course he won't programme the viewing via that as he wouldn't be able to watch Now TV.

Am I being unreasonable to feel a bit fed up with him? I do, after all, pay for the subscriptions that I don't watch and I have said that if he wants to buy another TV and pay for the subscriptions himself I would be quite happy for him to watch his sport in another room. He didn't reply to that one!

Sorry if I don't know all the technical terms, but I do know that our son-in-law, when we first bought the TV, programmed it so that we could watch programmes in super HD with just one remote control for all functions but when DH found that he couldn't access Now TV he asked for it to be accessed via our old remote control with a not-so-good picture and sound.

MerylStreep Thu 13-May-21 21:28:06

Doodledog
I think there are a lot here who could give that film a few pointers ?

Joesoap Thu 13-May-21 21:24:50

Get someone who knows what he is doing to install whatever you need.If you are paying for half of everything surely you must be able to have a say in the matter.Stop paying the subscription and get a tv of your own. Dont let him bully you any more

Doodledog Thu 13-May-21 21:11:42

Trisha57 Thu 13-May-21 21:05:12

MerylStreep grin

Grannybags Thu 13-May-21 18:47:53

MerylStreep ??

MerylStreep Thu 13-May-21 18:38:16

Nagmad2016

I suggest you get your own TV. We did, and it's perfect. Sometimes we watch together, but get to control our own remotes. It may seem petty, but it keeps the peace.

READ TRISHAS POST 17.34.

Eskay10 Thu 13-May-21 18:27:49

Connect the remote yourself and watch what you want as well. I am sure he will soon prefer to watch the HD channels once he gets used to a few. Sometimes they just need to be shown the way forward.

Nagmad2016 Thu 13-May-21 18:17:42

I suggest you get your own TV. We did, and it's perfect. Sometimes we watch together, but get to control our own remotes. It may seem petty, but it keeps the peace.

Trisha57 Thu 13-May-21 18:05:52

No problem, chattykathy, no harm done. He knows better than to try!

chattykathy Thu 13-May-21 18:01:05

Trisha, my apologies. I read one of your posts as saying he didn't let you watch your favourite programmes. I was reading through quickly and totally got the wrong end of the stick, so sorry. I'll butt out now...

MerylStreep Thu 13-May-21 17:45:13

BTW, anyone is free to join me ?

MerylStreep Thu 13-May-21 17:42:39

Trisha
The Don McLean song springs to mind.
They’re not listening now, perhaps they never will
It is my mission now to quote your post after every nonsensical, mean, post.
Let’s see how it goes ?

tanith Thu 13-May-21 17:36:25

Anyone commenting please read Trisha's explanatory post above before you post something totally irrelevant. ?

Trisha57 Thu 13-May-21 17:34:02

Thank you MerylStreep and StatenIsland, I was beginning to think I was posting into the wilderness!

Trisha57 Thu 13-May-21 17:29:56

I know not everyone reads an entire thread end to end, but just to clear one or two things up (again!):

He doesn't control what we watch. We watch quite a lot of programmes together which both of us like and at other times one of us will watch something they are particularly interested in and the other will do something else.

I've never said he doesn't "allow" me to watch what I want when I want to chattykathy.

He doesn't control any other aspects of our life ElaineR155, we discuss everything and make joint decisions or agree to disagree and compromise - it's just this techy thing that he's got his knickers in a twist about!

Several posters have told me that I can just download NowTV onto the TV set we have. We CAN'T! Even my son-in law failed to do that, and it has since come to light after some research by me and another very helpful poster that our TV is not compatible with NowTV unless we access it via another source such as a stick or via our TalkTalk box (which is the nub of the original problem as our TalkTalk box does not show programmes in 4k HD).

Anyway, once again thanks to everyone who has responded. It has certainly been helpful to hear the suggestions and what others have done to avoid all-out war! I'm really hoping that the NowTV stick that I've ordered will sort this out once and for all. I'll let you know once I've given it to him on his birthday at the end of the month...........smile

DutchDoll Thu 13-May-21 16:35:27

My husband and I both have Samsung Smart TVs. I sit on my recliner in the lounge and he sits on a recliner in the conservatory. These rooms are separated by a patio door which we close if we're both watching different programmes. It's brilliant. No complaints about differing TV tastes. Also I often read instead so the patio door is closed then too although if either of us decides to make a cup of tea, we just make a big T sign with our arms and the other one does either thumbs up or down. This way we keep each other happy which is what we all need, especially as we're retired and together so much. It must be really wearing to feel that there's a bit of an atmosphere regarding time together and the expense of a new TV is a small price to pay for this.
Make sure you get one that's bang up to date, Samsung or another Android so that you're a bit more future proofed. Get someone to help set it up, either SIL or technician from TV shop.
Enjoy yourself!

coastalgran Thu 13-May-21 16:24:52

Why live with a bully and control freak who asks you to pay for things you cannot use. He's getting his smug little sport life for 50% of what it should cost him. Never mind other rooms and TV sets. Life's too short to be miserable over his behaviour. If you don't want to leave, withdraw your half of the Sky and any other payments and tell him why. Then pursue what you enjoy doing and let him stagnate watching football.

MerylStreep Thu 13-May-21 16:19:41

SHES SORTED IT!!!!!!!!!

Daisymae Thu 13-May-21 16:12:52

Dont understand why you are paying for channels that you dont watch. I would halt contributions forthwith.

kitnsimon Thu 13-May-21 15:39:52

You need another Tv and also to stop paying for sport channels etc which you do not watch !! Let your husband pay for those. Buy another TV for yourself to watch. We have Tvs
in two separate rooms so we can each view what we like and when something is on that we both watch we watch it together !

bear1 Thu 13-May-21 15:02:39

If you cannot watch the channels you want the stop paying towards them your husband is being totally un fair and why pay for lots of sports channels when only using one.

readsalot Thu 13-May-21 14:57:16

Stop paying for channels you don't watch and buy yourself a new television! We have SkyQ and a smart TV and when the small telly in the kitchen packed up, we replaced it with a new smart tv. Easy to use with access to Netflix, etc., even for me.

StatenIsland Thu 13-May-21 14:52:09

MerylStreep

It’s obvious that some of you can’t be arsed to read the thread.
Trisha has stated that *her tv isn’t compatible with the Now app*

I agree Meryl. Trisha had explained that they bought a Philips Smart TV and only later discovered the NOW app is not directly supported.

As they subscribe to NOW TV bundles (effectively Sky without being tied into a contract) her husband has effected a workaround to watch all content via a Talk Talk box using a different remote, not the one that came with the new TV. OP is concerned that this means they are not taking advantage of the superior screen options that the new TV offers. I think that’s it in a nutshell.

Connecting a NOW Smart Stick to the new TV via an HDMI port seems to offer a solution and Trisha has ordered one. Let’s hope that solves the problem so they can both enjoy all the features of the new TV.

No getting away from the fact that many men (and women) enjoy watching sport on TV and there is a lot of it. My dear late husband was a sports fanatic, football especially. Of course, fans want to watch a match live. Part of the excitement is not knowing what the result will be. With big events it can be hard not to hear the result accidentally. On Demand streaming and recording capabilities mean we rarely have to miss a favourite programme even if initial transmission clashes with the footie.

nokkie Thu 13-May-21 14:44:07

We have a smart TV and we did have some initial problems accessing NOW TV, I'm not sure why? However, we were advised to buy a NOW firestick which we did - it came with a dongle that fits into the HDMI socket on the side and a remote control for NOW. Works perfectly. Cost about £25. Smart TVs can do everything we went into Curry's and had a chat they were very helpful. Perhaps you could do the same.

Kali2 Thu 13-May-21 14:22:34

Has he always been like this, or is this a recent thing? Just wondering if his frustration re technology is a sign he is not quite as sharp as he used to, and worried about it?