Gransnet forums

AIBU

to ask advice from any mothers in law

(69 Posts)
Sadson Sat 22-May-21 02:45:14

I want to start by apologising profusely for the length of this post!

I am a man who has decided to register here because I was googling for forums where I might get some advice about this issue, and this one came up. I really hope that it is okay for me to be here as it would be good to hear the perspective of any mothers in laws.

I am a 39-year-old man who has been married very happily to my wonderful wife for a little over six years. Been together for 9 years. We have a settled and content life together and have never had any major relationship issues, except for very occasional squabbles which are never about anything huge.

The issue is this. For a long time now, I have had a feeling that my parents do not like my wife. And this has recently been confirmed.

My wife, who is the same age as me, is a lovely, kindhearted and very caring woman.

She has a health condition which means that currently she is not in employment, however she spends her time studying distance learning courses and running our home. She worked full time up until around four years ago. Her previous profession was a very demanding one.
She does do the occasional temporary role as and when her health allows but I know that the situation of not being able to work properly bothers her greatly. Not a concern to me either way because we managed perfectly fine on my salary alone but I know that she does want to go back to work when her health improves. We do not have any children, this is partly related to her health.

A bit of a back story which may or may not help... my parents are not the most touchy-feely of people but I always grew up feeling loved and cared for and I know that they would always be there for me if I needed them and vice versa. We speak on the phone once every 10 days or so, they are happy with this and so am I. Sometimes we email. We live many miles apart and have done ever since I left home. unfortunately we only get to see them a couple of times a year due to the distance (quite literally the other end of the country).

My wife’s experience with her own parents is very different - she speaks to them over the phone every day, and video chats a couple of times a week. They are very open emotionally as a family, and my wife can talk to them about any matter which may be bothering her.

She has told me that she has found my parents to be stand offish in the past but I have always reassured her that this is just the way they are. She has asked me quite a number of times over the years about whether they like her, I until recently had always thought that they did. I base this on the fact that when I speak to them the phone, they pretty much always ask how she is. They chat to her absolutely fine whenever we see them. My wife always asks them open ended questions about how things are in their life, what they have been up to, she takes an interest in their hobbies. , and the like.

I have to admit over over the years, though, I have noticed that they very rarely ever ask my wife anything about herself. But this is also the way my parents are as people. They don’t tend to pry into other peoples lives.

However... something happened recently which has sadly made me question whether it is indeed the case that my parents do not like my wife.

We were visiting my wife’s parents last week. Whilst there, we decided to have a video call to my parents. Our parents all get on well and have not seen each other since before Covid. We thought that they could say hello to each other through the video chat. When my mum answered the video call, she was really pleased to see my wife’s mum, and they had a good chat for about 15 minutes. My wife then took over the call and the reception from my mum was distinctly cooler. It was pretty obvious.

So, a few days ago, I decided that I would ask my mum this question directly. My wife was upset, and as I had started to question things myself, I decided that trying to have an open discussion with my mum was the best way forward. I do not have emotionally deep conversations with my parents and so this was difficult for me.

After exchanging the usual pleasantries, I told my mum how I was feeling and asked her how she felt about my wife. I heard my mum sigh down the phone. She paused and then told me, "If you are happy together then what does it matter what anybody thinks about her?” She tried quickly to change the subject but this was not good enough for me. So I took a deep breath and told my mum her outright that my wife felt that they have never accepted her... and her very nonplussed reaction to my wife coming on the video chat the other day had also made me start to feel this way.

Then the truth came out and I was truly shocked and saddened. My mum told me that she “did not know what my wife’s function was”, because she is a childless housewife currently. I told my mum that my wife struggle a lot with her health condition and she is trying her best to seek support for it but it is difficult for her. She has never had a burning desire to be a mum, similarly I have never had a pressing need to be a father neither, and so we are in no desperate rush to try for a baby even if my wife’s health allowed. I also told my mum that before her health went downhill, my wife had a very rewarding and worthwhile career, which she does want to return to eventually. And then said to me that she and my father had always tried to accept the “bad decision” they felt I had made, to get married to my wife.

I have never felt that it was the wrong decision for me, I love her more than words can say and never regret marrying her even with the health issues.

I have two younger brothers and between them they have five children, my parents world revolves around their grandchildren (to the extent that one time I had to have an operation and they could not come and see me afterwards in the weeks that followed when I was laid up at home, recovering... the reason was because they were babysitting, but that is another story...).

I asked my parents if they somehow felt disappointed that we have failed to produce any grandchildren for them so far. My Mum said that she feels disappointed because I would’ve made a good father and that my wife is holding me back! This is not how I feel at all though. My attitude has always been that my relationship with my wife comes first and if children come along at some point then that is great... but if not then we will still have each other and be happy together. My mum then very hurtfully said that it was a good job my other two brothers and their partners had produced grandchildren because they would be “stuffed” if it was just up to my wife. I was greatly hurt by this upsetting comment. I have obviously not relayed this back to my wife.

My wife’s health problem and the medication she takes for it, means she has been quite overweight for a few years now and I get a distinct feeling my mum especially has an issue with this. She has been quite blunt in her delivery with this towards my wife over the years, directly telling her that maybe she should attend slimming world. My wife has politely laughed these comments off, but Afterwards has confided in me that it did upset her.

I truly do not know what else my wife can do to further endear herself to my parents . Yes, she does not currently have paid employment. But she fills her days with as much activity as she can manage. Always has a book on the go, trying to learn things and expand her knowledge. Keeps a good routine, doesn’t lie in bed in the mornings, and gets up early cracks on with whatever she has to do, no matter how unwell she is feeling. She does a fantastic job in keeping our home, cooks lovely meals and takes care of our dog. She is always there for her friends and spends time cultivating those friendships. She checks in regularly with the elderly lady across the road from us. She is a good person, basically. There are occasions when I do have to pitch in with some household chores now and again if she is feeling especially unwell, but I do not mind this.

So what I am just hoping for, is some opinions from people here who have daughters in law, how is that relationship for you? What can my wife and I do about the situation? Surely the most important thing is that I am happy with my wife? Why is this not good enough for my parents? It’s such an upsetting situation for us both and I’m trying to understand it as much as I can. Thank you to anybody who has taken the time to read this.

FarNorth Sat 22-May-21 03:03:13

Wow. I don't think your wife can do anything to get your parents to like her, as they have such a strange attitude.
It seems they, or your mum at least, are being very judgemental for no good reason.
You could try explaining to them how you feel, as you have done here, and hope it gets through to them.

FannyCornforth Sat 22-May-21 03:09:54

Hello Sadson
I've just read your post in full, but will go back and read it again on a bit.
Funnily enough, I'm not your intended audience - I'm a bit younger than the average Gransnet member, and I am not a mother in law.
In actual fact, I'm not a mother either. Your thread actually bought tears to my eyes, as when you described your wife, you could have been describing me. I am child free and have various health problems too which have impacted greatly on my working life. So your post really struck a nerve.

To be perfectly honest, your mum doesn't sound very nice at all. The comments she made are awful. Cruel even. You must feel terrible. Thank goodness that you and your wife love each other so much. Is it possible that she is jealous of your relationship with your wife? I can't think of any other excuse (I can't use the word 'reason') for her being so nasty.
I would find it incredibly difficult to forgive her.

You did the right thing posting on Gransnet - there are some very wise and sensible women on here who will advise and support you.
It's always very quiet during the night, although there a few Canadian and Australian members who are about around this time.
Are you in the UK?

Sadson Sat 22-May-21 03:31:43

FarNorth

Wow. I don't think your wife can do anything to get your parents to like her, as they have such a strange attitude.
It seems they, or your mum at least, are being very judgemental for no good reason.
You could try explaining to them how you feel, as you have done here, and hope it gets through to them.

Thank you. Writing to them has crossed my mind.

Sadson Sat 22-May-21 03:32:20

FannyCornforth

Hello Sadson
I've just read your post in full, but will go back and read it again on a bit.
Funnily enough, I'm not your intended audience - I'm a bit younger than the average Gransnet member, and I am not a mother in law.
In actual fact, I'm not a mother either. Your thread actually bought tears to my eyes, as when you described your wife, you could have been describing me. I am child free and have various health problems too which have impacted greatly on my working life. So your post really struck a nerve.

To be perfectly honest, your mum doesn't sound very nice at all. The comments she made are awful. Cruel even. You must feel terrible. Thank goodness that you and your wife love each other so much. Is it possible that she is jealous of your relationship with your wife? I can't think of any other excuse (I can't use the word 'reason') for her being so nasty.
I would find it incredibly difficult to forgive her.

You did the right thing posting on Gransnet - there are some very wise and sensible women on here who will advise and support you.
It's always very quiet during the night, although there a few Canadian and Australian members who are about around this time.
Are you in the UK?

Thank you and I’m sorry you are upset. Yes we are in the UK.

Lolo81 Sat 22-May-21 03:32:49

I completely agree with Farnorth. Unfortunately you and your wife can’t really do anything to make them like her. You can explain how it hurts and ask your mum to make a bit of an extra effort, but whether or not that would be real or just for keeping up appearances would (for me anyway) always be a thought lurking.
You can’t control how other people act, only how you react. Your wife seems to have a great support system in place, so I’d continue to focus on that.

FannyCornforth Sat 22-May-21 03:47:25

Thank you Sadson, I'm okay - I'm upset on your and your wife's behalf.
I would find it so hard in your situation.
To be perfectly honest - I'd be livid!

freedomfromthepast Sat 22-May-21 04:12:18

You must feel very hurt by your mothers comments and judgement.

I am not a MIL, but I am a DIL who has been judged wrongly and harshly by my MIL. Nothing I tried ever worked. She was insistent on not liking me and no one was going to change her mind. She decided she didn't like me before she even met me. At least I am not alone, she dislike ALL her children's spouses.

Sadly the result of her stubbornness is that I now have no contact with her, why would I? And her son has limited contact with her. His choice, not mine. She also has no contact with our kids, again her choice. We tried.

Going through this was hurtful for both my husband and myself. I can't speak for him as to how he processed it internally, but for me it helped me to learn that 1) what others think of me is none of my business and 2) I have no obligation or reason to try and maintain a relationship with someone who doesn't want to like me. I will admit it took several years and therapy to get to this point.

On one hand, your mother is correct, what does it matter if you and your wife love each other and are happy? On the other hand, it makes things very difficult now that this is out in the open. It will change your relationship and it will certainly change your wife's relationship with them.

I wish there was an easy answer. You could try speaking with her to see if she will make the extra effort, but you cant change them. If your mother doesn't warm up, then you and your wife decide what you are both comfortable with in regards to a relationship with mom. Maybe you keep up with every 10 days phone calls and your wife stays where she is comfortable, maybe your wife asks your mom to spend time with her and they forge a bond? It really is up to you two to decide where to go from here.

BlueberryPie Sat 22-May-21 04:38:12

I think this is not really about your wife as a person but just that she does not fill the role they had in mind for their son's wife to fill.

Your parents pictured a wife for you who was healthy and thin and who would bring in money and produce children. I don't think that is unusual or strange. Many parents would want that type of wife for their grown son, yes? The reason is that they feel that is the type of wife who will make their son the happiest.

Instead, you wife has health issues, is heavy, no longer brings much money (for now, at least) and did not have children.

So she does not fill the role your parents expect a wife to fill.

However, you DO seem satisfied with your wife and you are the one who is spending your life with her so your parents thoughts on what type of wife would make you happiest appear to be mistaken. Also, your parents are entitled to their opinion and don't need to change it because it is not especially important anyway.

Honestly, I would not dwell on this because it seems to me that is what would cause trouble, though I understand it was an unhappy shock for you to discover how they felt. And it is to their credit that they seem to have tried hard to keep their noses out of it.

You parents don't have to feel this is the best wife for you. They just have to be reasonably polite to your wife, which it sounds like they are doing. Therefore, I don't think there's really any big problem. Everyone does not have to think everyone else is the best person for anyone else. It's not necessary at all.

For a different perspective on it, say you thought your wife's mother was oh, a bit lazy and uninteresting that that she didn't seem interested enough in your wife. Or say you felt that your brother's wife was too loud and let their kids get away with too much. What difference would that make to anyone?

I would just continue on as you have and don't push into this anymore unless they outright disrespect or mistreat your wife. Good luck.

FannyCornforth Sat 22-May-21 04:41:52

What does your wife think about all of this?
To what extent does she know how your mother feels about her?
Also - where is your dad in all of this? What does he think?

I've just read your post again and seen the slimming world comment.
Nasty.

The poster above (*freedom*) suggests that your wife and mother spend some time and 'forge a bond'.
If I were your wife, there's absolutely no way that I would do this.

It seems that for some reason, which is only known to herself, if anyone, your mother decided that she didn't wantto like your wife.
It's your mother's problem, not yours or your wife's.
Does she have form for nurturing
ill feeling towards people?

Unfortunately, it's very sad for you, but I don't think that there is much that you can do other than except that your mother isn't a very nice person.

FannyCornforth Sat 22-May-21 04:47:46

I've just read Blueberrypies post, and see that we couldn't really disagree more!

I'm a bit saddened to read that according to her I'm every mother in law's nightmare.

Sparkling Sat 22-May-21 05:25:48

I don't think your mother should make personal comments about your wife ie. weight, or whether as a couple you should have children, but I would call that out at the time. Your mother doesn't have to like or approve of her as long as the couple of times a year you see your parents they get on. I can't see how they will ever be close do wouldn't try. If you are happy with your marriage that is what matters.

Kim19 Sat 22-May-21 05:31:48

My Mum and my husband never had a particularly close relationship but they rubbed along in survival mode both polite, civil and respectful of each other's position. Think my Mum was guilty of having a knight in shining armour in mind for me and my final selection didn't fit her mental image. Pity because he was a terrific guy. She was lovely too but they just didn't gel. Why should they? However, they rubbed along and didn't really meet that often as they both worked. I did my best as piggy in the middle and we all survived amicably. Not always easy though. Good luck, I so recommend tolerance without confrontation.

Katie59 Sat 22-May-21 08:15:16

Your mother thinks that you could have married better, had a productive healthy wife and a family, maybe mum also thinks your wife is malingering. My husbands wife never liked me, because I had a career , you just cannot make people like each other.
I suggest get on with life, you have admonished mum leave it at that, don’t cause further strife.

Sago Sat 22-May-21 08:36:49

My in laws didn’t like me at first, we didn’t know each other well as we lived many miles away too.
We just got on with our lives and eventually as we all got to know and respect one another a warm an happy relationship developed.

M0nica Sat 22-May-21 08:41:06

Too many people get tied up and unable to tell the difference between a person and a role and this causes undue angst when the person does not automatically act the role they have had thrust upon them.

In this situation what does it matter whether your mother likes your wife and why should she - and the other way round? These are two different women, different ages, different backgrounds, different lives, different personalities brought together by chance because the son of one fell inlove and married the other. Why should they be expected to take to each other and like each other? Really it is a miracle that as many do get on as well as they do.

Why is your wife so concerned that your mother doesn't like her, anyway? Your parents do not live near you, you do not see them a lot. Where is there a problem?

In your post I get the feeling that your wife criticises your parents - and you - because your family are not as emotionally open as hers, sees them as failing in some way - you see sometimes the boot is on the other foot - and she is criticising them.

Every family has its own patterns of living and whether you are an 'everything out in the open and talk about it' family or a family who prefer to be more reserved is a matter of family dynamic. Both go with happy healthy relationships and both can cause misery and unhappiness.

Stop this pointless worrying about something you can do nothing about and has very little effect on your day to day life. Your parents live at some distance, you do not see them often. Compared with families where intergenerational re;ationships are poisonous and nasty and full of estrangements. You are lucky. The relationship between you, your wife and parents may not be perfect, but it is far better than many

sodapop Sat 22-May-21 09:12:17

It's a shame your parents hold this old fashioned attitude Sadson but I absolutely agree with the last paragraph of MOnica's post. Don't allow this to impact on your life its not really important.

GrannySomerset Sat 22-May-21 09:22:47

M0nica is quite right. Though it does occur to me that this was a situation where insisting on the truth has had unfortunate consequences and that carrying on as before would perhaps have been the best course of action. But what’s said is said and you have to go on living the life that is best for the two of you. Probably your mum’s loss in the end.

theworriedwell Sat 22-May-21 09:28:13

So your parents have always been polite to your wife but that wasn't enough, you asked the question so it is on you that you got the answer. Parents don't have to like, much less love, their children's partners. I've got 4 kids, two of their partners feel like two of my own, I don't feel comfortable with the other two for a variety of reasons but I chat to them, buy them presents for birthdays and Christmas. I say nothing negative to my sons about them but you know what, I am human and I connect more to some people than to others.

If one of your parents died or your parents split up would you automatically feel close to a new partner? Think about it, you brought someone into the family and they quite rightly had no say in the matter but you can't dictate how they feel about it.

The slimming world comment wasn't nice but perhaps she thought it was impacting on your wife's health?

Unfortunately you opened this box and what was said can't be unsaid.

silverlining48 Sat 22-May-21 09:42:33

I have been in your wife’s position with my in laws so know how it feels to suddenly have to face it. You must be upset and disappointed about this but the most important thing here is that you and your wife have a strong and loving marriage so focus on that. What your mum thinks is really by the way. Obviously regrettable though.
You know the situation now, your parents aren't on your doorstep which makes things easier in the circumstances. Try not to let this upset you too much. Be happy and I wish you and your wife well.

eazybee Sat 22-May-21 09:50:45

I don't think there is anything you can do.
You confronted your mother about the situation with your wife and she was honest with you, brutally so. You defended your wife against unnecessarily unpleasant comments

What matters is that you and your wife are happy together in your marriage, that is the most important thing and your mother's opinion is not relevant. Your future is with your wife, and you do not have to justify her lifestyle to your parents.
I also feel you are slightly overthinking the situation.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 22-May-21 10:12:51

I don’t think that your mothers opinion matters, you and you wife are happy, she is surrounded by her loving family, neither of you needs your parents acceptance. Your parents aren’t openly hostile to her, so let it be.
My MIL did everything she could to split us up, which resulted in her rarely seeing our Children, but she didn’t care as she had GCs from DHs siblings.
52 years later and we are still together, her approval , or lack of it didn’t bother me because we both stayed away from her as much as we could, DH said that it was up to me if I visited her or not, latterly I visited her with him and we rubbed along ok for the hour or so that we were there.
My opinion was, her loss, not mine.

Smileless2012 Sat 22-May-21 10:14:51

Hi Sadson and welcome to GN. It looks as if you've opened a Pandora's box here by asking the question and then, and this is an observation not a criticism, pushing for a more direct reply when your OP suggests that your mum was trying to not answer the question.

I was the d.i.l. envied by my m.i.l. and am now a m.i.l. hated by her d.i.l. to the extent that we have been estranged by our son.

Despite the miss givings you now know for certain that your parents have, they have always been polite to your lovely wife and you've said that they're "not the most touchy-feely" of people even with you, but despite this you grew up feeling loved. You know your parents will always be there for you as you will be there for them.

IMO it is their love for you that has until you asked the question, kept their 'true' feelings about your wife to themselves.

I can understand your mum dwelling on what a good father she thinks you would be and feeling sad on your behalf that she doesn't see this as being on the cards for you, I don't understand though, why any feelings she may have had for your wife would be diminished because this doesn't look as it will happen.

We can't like everyone can we and if this applies to our adult child's partner, the best we can do is be civil and our best to keep our true feelings to ourselves, which in fairness to your parents, they have done until you asked 'that' question.

You have a happy, healthy and strong marriage. Your parents aren't geographically close so that definitely makes life easier for you, your wife and them as you don't get together very often.

Try and put this to one side and enjoy the life you have which includes your parents who clearly love you.

Luckygirl Sat 22-May-21 10:27:31

My mum told me that she “did not know what my wife’s function was”, because she is a childless housewife currently.
This stood out for me..........are childless people people and housewives devoid of worth in her eyes? A very odd statement.

As regards your situation, I am wondering how large this looms in your life and your wife's. I think it is unfortunate that you asked your Mum the question as it has brought nothing but sadness to hear what she thinks. Some things are better let lie.

The way forward is to put the situation in perspective. You and your wife are perfectly capable of living happy lives just as you are - you do not need your mother's approval. Her weird views are a mere drop in the ocean of your happy lives. The fact that your life does not fit the expectations that she had for you is neither here nor there - that is her problem, not yours or your wife's.

I cannot say that I got on brilliantly with my in-laws, but I saw them when needed, was polite and friendly to them, gritted my teeth at some of their views (racist) and put them in a small compartment of my life and did not allow them to impinge on my general happiness. I think this is what you need to do.

Her views need not upset anyone, as long as you and your wife are happy - unfortunately such statements can undermine people's confidence and your wife may be made to feel inadequate. She must not let this feed into any existing insecurities that she might have.

If your Mum was a half-way decent Mum she would be happy that you are happy.......that is all I have ever wanted for my children.

I have sonsIL only and I was a bit surprised by some of my DDs partner choices over the years, but I trusted them and they have made happy lives and I am happy for them. My surprise was because some of those choices did not conform with the idea I had in my mind - just like your Mum. But I was quick to ditch my ideas and recognise their irrelevance, and look for the good on those partners who came along - and there was lots of good to find. Frankly it is none of my business.

Put this "problem" - well non-problem really - into its right perspective. You are both happy - you just have to make quite sure that it does not make your lovely wife insecure. Go give her a hug!! smile

FannyCornforth Sat 22-May-21 10:38:06

Excellent post Luckygirl
It sounds like your family are lucky too to have you smile