Gransnet forums

AIBU

Calling in sick 2 weeks into a job

(32 Posts)
Shangela123 Sat 29-May-21 08:34:01

I've posted about it before, it's a care home.
They are incredibly short staffed due to people off sick, quitting or being on holiday. As a result, they're ringing up staff on their days off and holidays trying to get them in.
I'm contracted for 3 night shifts a week but I was told I'd be given 4 for the first 2 weeks. It seemed a lot, but I'd told myself it would only be for these 2 weeks.
They needed extra staff yesterday so I have worked a 16-hour night shift, from 3pm-7am.
I am expected back tonight from 9pm-7am, same again tomorrow night, and I did Wednesday night.
I feel like absolute death, so ill and i actually collapsed this morning at 4am and hit my knee on the floor.
I feel terribly sick, plus I have awful hayfever.
I can't see myself doing another 2 night shifts on the run.
All this for minimum wage, plus me and other staff have stayed late after every shift.
This morning the manager came in, barely even looked at me despite knowing I'm new and didn't thank me for doing 16 hours for them.
It seems poor taste ringing in sick already but I feel rotten, 46 hours in a week and 16 hours with 3 night shifts is really difficult conditions. What would hou do ?

FannyCornforth Sun 30-May-21 07:50:34

Hello again Shangela
I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better and have come up with a good solution.
It sounds like an awful place to work - the management appear a bit clueless to say the least.
I hope that you find a better job soon.
Wishing you all the best

Lovetopaint037 Sun 30-May-21 09:28:02

I think you should ask to speak to the Manager. My dd manages a care home with complex needs and I have heard her speak to staff when she has been on the phone. She is always thanking them for their efforts and would consider the staff’s well being a prime part of her responsibility. Everything depends on staff so explain you need to adjust your hours as you are feeling really ill.

Polarbear2 Sun 30-May-21 10:37:48

I’d talk to your manager. Ask for unpaid leave. It’ll sound better and I’d doubt you’ll get sick pay anyway. Explain honestly that you thought you could cope and wanted to help but found you couldn’t. It might be that once you’re into your ‘groove’ you can manage more. The first weeks in a new job are exhausting as there’s so much to learn and do. Be genuine but don’t just phone in sick with no discussion. It looks bad and it’ll stick with you. Try to find a solution with your manager. Good luck.

Babs758 Sun 30-May-21 10:46:36

It sounds like the staff are continually old sick for a good reason! I feel sorry for the residents. You have done the right thing by going in and explaining clearly what you can and can’t do. In my area of Surrey there is a great shortage of care staff and there must be a better place for you to work. Hope you will get a better job with some training. Keep looking :-)

Dickens Sun 30-May-21 21:35:38

Hi all - just joined.
I agree with 'Lollin'. I doubt your health and welfare is their top priority and, should you make a mistake whilst working - because you can't focus on what must be a pretty stressful job - it will be on your head.
I had a home visit by a nurse the other day and she told me she'd been asked (by a private firm contracted to the NHS) to take on another patient at the end of her shift who lived miles away and she was so stressed and tired that she refused (this nurse and I have known each other for a long time, and we 'chat'). Her reason - and you might find this useful - was that she didn't feel safe enough to do the drive nor the procedure that was required at the end of it. She'd already worked on her days off to plug yet another 'gap' in the system. No-one can argue with you if you say you are ill and don't feel safe to do the job - they're hardly likely to demand that you turn up, regardless.
I think you need to look for something else, care work is very demanding - and poorly paid. And, it seems, the more you 'oblige' the more they will put on you.

welbeck Sun 30-May-21 23:32:44

Shangela,
why don't you try to do domiciliary care; contact a respectable agency like Bluebird and find out.
where you are at the moment is not a good place.
get out of there.
and join a union. GMB have been v supportive of careworkers.
you have to stand up for yourself; don't endure rubbish situations. step by step, you can improve things. good luck.