Gransnet forums

AIBU

Calling in sick 2 weeks into a job

(31 Posts)
Shangela123 Sat 29-May-21 09:16:55

Thanks everyone, I do need to put my health first, I don't know what I was thinking when I agreed to 16 hours at once.

Esspee Sat 29-May-21 09:01:36

I would call in sick and start looking for another job frankly.

Lollin Sat 29-May-21 09:00:32

They won’t give you a second thought if you end up unable to continue working, only you can give yourself the care you need to continue working (for minimum wage too). I know it’s a real dilemma but you have to be firm and put your own health first. If you make a mistake from being over-worked you know how you will be treated from the lack of consideration given already.

Scribbles Sat 29-May-21 08:53:38

Your need to look after yourself. My instinct is to say, "Leave - now!" although I realise that is probably a financial impossibility. But you need rest and proper sleep so tell them you won't be in tonight. You'll be no use to the residents or colleagues if you're so exhausted and unwell.
Make it clear to the management that, in future, you will not be agreeing to work extra shifts or 16 hour stints and will work only your contracted hours.
Night work plays havoc with the body's systems and can lead to long term health problems in the future so, for your own and your family's sake, your responsibility is to yourself.
Tell them you won't be in tonight and go and get some sleep.

Shangela123 Sat 29-May-21 08:37:35

Colleague said she had never seen me looking so bad and that the colour had drained from me

Shangela123 Sat 29-May-21 08:34:01

I've posted about it before, it's a care home.
They are incredibly short staffed due to people off sick, quitting or being on holiday. As a result, they're ringing up staff on their days off and holidays trying to get them in.
I'm contracted for 3 night shifts a week but I was told I'd be given 4 for the first 2 weeks. It seemed a lot, but I'd told myself it would only be for these 2 weeks.
They needed extra staff yesterday so I have worked a 16-hour night shift, from 3pm-7am.
I am expected back tonight from 9pm-7am, same again tomorrow night, and I did Wednesday night.
I feel like absolute death, so ill and i actually collapsed this morning at 4am and hit my knee on the floor.
I feel terribly sick, plus I have awful hayfever.
I can't see myself doing another 2 night shifts on the run.
All this for minimum wage, plus me and other staff have stayed late after every shift.
This morning the manager came in, barely even looked at me despite knowing I'm new and didn't thank me for doing 16 hours for them.
It seems poor taste ringing in sick already but I feel rotten, 46 hours in a week and 16 hours with 3 night shifts is really difficult conditions. What would hou do ?