Gransnet forums

AIBU

To boycott Coca Cola products

(62 Posts)
Pammie1 Sat 29-May-21 14:38:45

Short and sweet. Expecting to get flamed quite a lot. Coca Cola has incorporated ‘be less white’ into their training videos. I find it really offensive and tantamount to reverse racism. AIBU to boycott Coke products from now on ?

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 13:09:44

wink

M0nica Tue 22-Jun-21 11:54:22

Oh, I hadn't realised that. - or should I have pretended that I did?

Both RB and CC are unpleasant, but try to pretend they aren't.

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 09:59:40

Now are you being really clever there M0nica?

Rhett Butler : Gone with the Wind : Atlanta : HQ of Coca Cola!

M0nica Tue 22-Jun-21 09:55:57

To be honest, my dears, I don't give a damn.

Talullah Tue 22-Jun-21 09:24:35

JaneJudge

I thought this was to do with Gareth Southgate as he appears to have two bottles superglued to his chest during press conferences

That made me laugh, JaneJudge

Thank you so much smile

JaneJudge Tue 22-Jun-21 09:20:22

I thought this was to do with Gareth Southgate as he appears to have two bottles superglued to his chest during press conferences

Alegrias1 Tue 22-Jun-21 09:17:19

It wasn't a slogan.

It wasn't even something they said or used in their training.

But let's not stop the truth getting in the way of a good old anti-woke finger pointing exercise.

25Avalon Tue 22-Jun-21 09:04:40

Maybe they should add “get less diabetic” to their slogans. They are a big corporation who spend money on advertisements to get more people to buy it and boost their profits. By trying to appear woke it has back fired on them.

NotSpaghetti Tue 22-Jun-21 07:42:38

Sorry. That's red herring.
This thread is about the Cocoa Cola boycott.

NotSpaghetti Tue 22-Jun-21 07:37:17

We have found a couple of decent low/no alcohol beers (continental lagers really) over the last year or two.
They retain quite a lot of the aroma, hop flavours, underlying fruity malt taste. Not the same as the alcoholic version but not bad.

Some are truly horrible though! Many have the mouth-feel totally wrong. Some over-compensate with too much malt or too many hops. Many are vaguely metallic.
I expect they will get better over the years - many of the breweries are making versions now and it's quite nice to have some of their complex flavours and bitter maltiness available alcohol free for occasions when you know you will be driving later.

nanna8 Tue 22-Jun-21 01:20:41

Apparently non alcoholic beer is getting very popular here and they have made it taste much better recently. Depends why you drink it I suppose. Probably healthier than Coca Cola.My dad used to drink it in the war when they added cocaine to it , probably needed it for courage before the missions I suppose. They were also given cigarettes, same reason.

Eloethan Tue 22-Jun-21 00:31:42

It's obviously not a great slogan because nobody understands what it means.

It's a drink packed with sugar and, some say, designed to be addictive. Many other brands of drink are also under the ownership of Coca Cola - Innocent, for instance. It's really quite alarming how some of these huge corporations have swallowed up smaller competitors, often very quietly so that people are unaware of the actual owners.

NotSpaghetti Mon 21-Jun-21 22:57:17

Talullah - technically it’s “alcohol free” but in fact Heineken 0.0 does contain about 0.05% alcohol.
As this non-alcoholic beer is made from the same process as regular beer, Heineken has now clarified “that Heineken 0.0 is strictly for non-Muslims” On their website they also say it’s not for children.

Paul Pogba Is a practicing Muslim. I think it was right he moved it.

Talullah Sun 20-Jun-21 21:57:48

And hats off to the footballer who removed a sponsored alcohol off his press table too. It was alcohol free beer. Never quite seen the point but that's what it was. They need to be careful though, These drink companies pay millions to be sponsors of these tournaments. And these footballers get paid millions, partially by these sponsors. They've been told to stop doing it now.

www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/06/17/europe-soccer-players-told-not-to-move-drinks-at-press-conferences-after-cristiano-ronaldos-coca-cola-snub/?sh=657639b821b8

alchemilla Sun 20-Jun-21 21:39:53

Just dont drink the product. I thought it was great that Ronaldo moved the sponsor Coca Cola off his table when he was doing a press conference. And said just drink water.

the fact most people are using it to clean toilets says enough.

And hats off to the footballer who removed a sponsored alcohol off his press table too.

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Jun-21 11:07:17

witzend
yes full of spunk

????

www.mashed.com/193457/the-real-reason-you-cant-buy-dasani-water-in-the-uk/

vegansrock Sun 06-Jun-21 11:06:03

Coca Cola is horrible and definitely boycott it, but not because of the reasons given in the OP.

Witzend Sun 06-Jun-21 08:23:49

Does anyone else remember the Dasani debacle? IIRC it was a Coca-Cola brand of bottled water due to be launched shortly in the U.K.

Except that it never was, after the revelation that the water came out of a bog standard tap in Sidcup.
I’ve seen it on sale in other countries, though.

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-May-21 23:34:38

greenlady gosh I hope you didn't use proscribed material, that would be a sacking offence...

Ha ha! What a great typo that is!!
Thanks for spotting it!

Sago Sun 30-May-21 16:41:19

It’s very woke to be “ less white “ in training videos.

greenlady102 Sun 30-May-21 16:36:22

NotSpaghetti

I hope you don't mean me Maggie when you say some took it as:

proof positive that Coca Cola employees were not told to look at this training video

Because some trainers probably did tell people to look at it. The article says that they weren't directed to it by Coca Cola.
When I've delivered training I will have used materials suggested/proscribed by my organisation and then supplemented this with not just my own material but often other material I've found elsewhere that I thought was appropriate.

That's what I actually assumed when I read the article.

Training, even in a large organisation, often depends partly on the individual trainer.

gosh I hope you didn't use proscribed material, that would be a sacking offence.

AmberSpyglass Sun 30-May-21 15:52:12

Reverse racism doesn’t exist.

Alegrias1 Sun 30-May-21 15:24:03

From Ms Borysenko's twitter.

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-May-21 15:08:34

I also don't like the language btw

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-May-21 15:07:56

My understanding from reading round this on my American websites is that the "Linkedin" training platform was linked (amongst others) to the actual training in order to provide additional material on a range of issues including diversity and race.

The person "whistleblowing" Karlyn Borysenko, is an activist who supports banning critical race theory. The company training was not using this language.

The course is not a Coca-Cola exclusive as it is available to any company that pays for the LinkedIn training platform. There are about 21,000 people on the learning platform.