Gransnet forums

AIBU

Covid Vaccination Opinion

(35 Posts)
maddieb Thu 03-Jun-21 14:59:38

I was excited yesterday to be having my first haircut since the initial lockdown for Covid. As my usual local hair salon isn't up and running yet I managed to get an appointment at another salon.
The usual hand washing facility was available at the door and other than myself and the hairdresser the place was deserted so I felt secure but was a bit surprised the lady wasn't wearing any face covering, I had my mask on throughout.
Halfway through washing my hair she informs me she doesn't believe in the vaccine due to various personal reasons and regales me with tales of heart attacks and strokes after the jab!
I have had both vaccines with no ill effects as have most of my family and friends. I love my haircut but I won't go back... AIBU?

foxie48 Fri 04-Jun-21 09:40:21

Biscuitmuncher

MOnica it's the untestedness of the covid vaccine that bothers me. The fact that the drug companies are immune from any prosecution that really bothers me

But it's not untested and millions and millions of people have now been vaccinated. On a risk based analysis, you are much safer being vaccinated than you are having Covid 19. It was developed quickly because governments put billions of pounds into research programmes that were already working on vaccinations for corona type viruses to enable them to crack on and get a properly tested and effective vaccine. If you mean we don't know if the vaccines will affect people's health in the future, say 5 years down the line, then that's true but there's no reason to believe that it will be different to any other vaccination. what we do know though, is that some people who have Covid can suffer very long term debilitating illness (long covid). I hope you change your mind and get vaccinated.

M0nica Fri 04-Jun-21 09:24:15

Biscuitmuncher The vaccine is not untested. All the COVID vaccines in use in the UK have been through all the same testing procedures that every other vaccine and medication on the market has to go through to get approval for use in this country.

Of course, the vaccine has been developed faster and the testing completed more quickly than normal, there was a pandemic on that was killing tens of thousands. It does not mean that corners were cut, testing was limited. There have been precedents. When there was an outbreak of Ebola in Sierra Leone, about a decade ago, they produced a safe vaccine within a year. Much was learnt from that. Technology has come on leaps and bounds and the methods of developing and making vaccines for COVIDuses methods that were not available when the ebola vaccine was developed.

DH was part of just one cohort of 25,000 who volunteered to test the AZ vaccine, I think his test was Phase 3. He is 77, overweight, has Type 2 diabetes in remisssion and high blood pressure. previous Previous phases tested the vaccine on young healthy volunteers, Phase 3 looked at people who were over 50 or had health problems.

The vaccine was tested on possibly as many as 50,000 people plus, all volunteers, and including those with medical problems.

What is the evidence that drug companies are immune from prosecution. Such companies have been prosecuted and bankrupted before when releasing drugs that were nor fully tested. Every vaccine has side effects and makes some people ill. I had no side effects from COVID, but when as a teenager I had the BCG for tb, I had a festering sore on my arm for over 6 months. I am allergic to penicillin, as are many others, but compared with the millions of lives it has saved.

No medication or vaccine is 100% effective or does not cause problems for a few people, but compared with the millions who have died from COVID for a lack of a vaccination

maddieb Fri 04-Jun-21 09:07:28

Thank you all for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.
Monica, your post struck a chord because my own daughter initially was very worried about having a vaccine due to it being relatively new. I had the conversation with her regarding vaccines we had in childhood that have saved many lives, happily this changed her views and she has had her first vaccine and due her 2nd dose next week. It gave me food for thought that her age group (early 40's) had different views from a generation that remember when people were left severely disabled or died from what we now think of as simple childhood illness.

Mollygo Fri 04-Jun-21 08:51:54

Well said Foxie48. I hope I would have the sense to do the same. I’d certainly not go back and say why. I told my DH, but he said “You were so desperate for a haircut you would’ve gone if she’d been in the nude!”

Biscuitmuncher Fri 04-Jun-21 08:51:15

MOnica it's the untestedness of the covid vaccine that bothers me. The fact that the drug companies are immune from any prosecution that really bothers me

M0nica Fri 04-Jun-21 08:26:21

By the way, my hairdresser wears mask and vizor.

M0nica Fri 04-Jun-21 08:25:06

I understand anti-vaxxers, by which I mean I know they are generally conspiracy theorists and immune to reason.

I do not understand the ''I really wish I understood the point of the vaccine then' ers. I mean surely they have at least heard or read of the devastating and fatal epidemics of polio and measles that we used to have before universal vaccination against those diseases, but have no more. or know that small pox has been wiped out completely by the universal use of vaccine. Why should a COVID vaccine do other than exactly the same thing, reduce the incidence of the disease and make any case of it mild. No vaccine totally stops you getting a disease, but it certainly stops you getting it badly.

Despite vaccination one of my children had measles and both had whooping cough, The measles consisted of a temperature for a few days and a rash in the mouth for a similar period, With whooping cough one coughed and was sick - once and the other whooped - once.

Remembering these diseases from childhood, My sister missed a terms school with whooping cough and a close friend has damaged lungs and has had a lifetime of respiratory infections as the result of the same disease in childhood.

How can anyone faced with several hundred years of evidence of the effectiveness of vaccines in limiting death and disablement from a range of diseases that for thousands of years had brought fear into every parents heart when they had a child diagnosed with those diseases say 'I really wish I understood the point of the vaccine then' of the (COVID) vaccine.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 04-Jun-21 07:57:30

EllanVannin

It's the idiots who must have their holidays abroad who I blame.
Our airports have never fully shut down for fear of losing money----which this is what it's all been about, LOSS. So what ?

And look what's happened !

?. Yes, pull up the drawbridge if you don’t like them, if they’re’ nice’, there’s no risk, so leave it down!! Completely mad!

EllanVannin Thu 03-Jun-21 20:34:07

It's the idiots who must have their holidays abroad who I blame.
Our airports have never fully shut down for fear of losing money----which this is what it's all been about, LOSS. So what ?

And look what's happened !

varian Thu 03-Jun-21 20:33:20

I would not just avoid this hairdresser in the future, if I were you I would tell her why you will not be coming back in no uncertain terms and tell her that she should obey the rules which are based on scientific guidance if she wants to continue in business. That woman needs educating as she is a danger to her customers.

lemsip Thu 03-Jun-21 20:28:29

Biscuitmunche,

such ignorance.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 03-Jun-21 20:21:57

I second that foxie too. With this hairdresser’s attitude we wouldn’t have had the success with controlling the pandemic so far which we’ve had.

MayBee70 Thu 03-Jun-21 20:10:17

foxie48

I'm not prepared to pay for any personal service from anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated and yes, I do ask. If they have the "right" to refuse vaccination, I have the "right" to take my business elsewhere. Just to clarify, it's not because I feel I am at any particular extra risk but I want people to realise that being vaccinated is a contribution to the safety of everyone, not just the person being vaccinated.

Well said foxie!

rosie1959 Thu 03-Jun-21 20:05:36

My hairdresser wears a visor but cant honestly see they do any good.
Myself and her alone in the salon I can then remove mask

Lollin Thu 03-Jun-21 19:06:17

It is wrong of her to not inform people when they book. I would have wanted to leave immediately.

Santana Thu 03-Jun-21 18:27:58

My hair salon has unannounced visits from the local council to check their procedures.
It isn't just about the masks and visors, it's about sanitising each 'station' ready for the next client. Even the coats were separated by a piece of plastic on a hanger.
Not such a relaxing experience as it used to be, but I'm doing my best to put some money back into the economy!

Blossoming Thu 03-Jun-21 18:25:18

YANBU, I wouldn’t be going back.

foxie48 Thu 03-Jun-21 18:09:25

Biscuitmuncher

Esspee I really wish I understood the point of the vaccine then

Probably the most important reason to get vaccinated is to prevent the virus mutating to a variant which is both highly transmissible, causes mortality in a high percentage of cases and against which our current vaccinations has little or no effect. We are already seeing new variants ripping through non vaccinated communities, it's only a matter of time until we get one which is really dangerous to everyone, vaccinated or not. The Spanish Flu pandemic killed millions and the young were at most risk, older people had a higher recovery rate. I honestly consider it a civic duty to get vaccinated but appreciate that no-one should be bullied into having it done but I sincerely hope that explanation and reason will win people over.

midgey Thu 03-Jun-21 16:58:39

If you have been vaccinated you are unlikely to be severely ill or hospitalised with the virus.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 03-Jun-21 16:55:02

Biscuitmuncher

It’s a really good start, but it’s not 100% affective. Some people will still catch it. It’s better than nothing though, and will hopefully aid us in beating this virus.

maddieb Thu 03-Jun-21 16:53:32

Thank you foxie48 and Esspee. I need to be more assertive with these things!

Biscuitmuncher Thu 03-Jun-21 16:52:03

Esspee Thu 03-Jun-21 16:34:30

Well said foxie48. I think I shall follow your example.

foxie48 Thu 03-Jun-21 16:31:35

I'm not prepared to pay for any personal service from anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated and yes, I do ask. If they have the "right" to refuse vaccination, I have the "right" to take my business elsewhere. Just to clarify, it's not because I feel I am at any particular extra risk but I want people to realise that being vaccinated is a contribution to the safety of everyone, not just the person being vaccinated.

maddieb Thu 03-Jun-21 16:11:24

Biscuitmuncher

Perhaps she's exempt from wearing a mask. And if you've had your vaccinations why does it worry you if she doesn't have a mask?

I am in Scotland in an area that has only recently gone to level 2 from level 3, also not too far from a level 4 area so even fully vaccinated myself there are still risks. Also many people in the area have only had their first vaccine.