Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbours extension

(96 Posts)
Hels001 Sun 13-Jun-21 17:13:35

Since moving in our new neighbours have built a large extension right up to the building line. We are in a semi detached bungalow. They did get planning permission. To do the brick work the builders took down the fence between us and used are garden for access to do this. DH mentioned to them it would have been nice to have been asked about this. They didn't seem at all bothered. We are out at work all day and have come home on several occasions to damage to our property- Indian stone patio slabs 3 smashed and concreted back together like crazy paving 2 terracotta pots broken with the roses in broken. We drew there attention to this they said it would be sorted. The build is now finished builders gone. They've replaced a piece of guttering ours about 2 foot to join to extension in black it was originally white there also cut the fascia board to slot theirs in but left it short they've now told us there's a 6ft fence going up but they are putting one down side of the extension wall. To stop us growing anything up it they said. So they will once again have to come into our garden can they legally do this? Its going to cost up to up right what they've done to our property or to get legal advice. Money we can't really afford. Any thoughts please. Will try attach a photo so you can see. The brick wall to the left is right up to the building line anything to the right is ours. I've been prescribed antidepressants since this all started. Its getting so bad I now very rarely go out into the garden and keep the blinds of the conservatory closed.
Thank you in advance

FlexibleFriend Fri 18-Jun-21 13:51:07

Dollydinkum
Yes of course the fence was reinstated in it's original position.

Dollydinkum Fri 18-Jun-21 10:18:45

Hels001

Looking at the picture, they shouldn’t have their guttering attached to your property. It also looks like they are using your drainpipe to get rid of their rainwater via your land. That’s besides the damage they have incurred to your property.
My understanding is that you can’t prevent reasonable access to your land if the neighbour needs remedial maintenance work on their existing building be done. However, you can refuse if it’s for an extension.

Dollydinkum Fri 18-Jun-21 10:06:07

FlexibleFriend

When we had our extension built our next door neighbour was quite accommodating and easy going. Our builder removed the existing fence and rebuilt it a metre into the neighbours garden. That enabled them to build the wall and point it neatly which benefitted us and the neighbour, as they were the ones who had to look at it. The fence being built meant all the dogs stayed in their respective gardens and the builders didn't interfere with the neighbours daily life. I thought this was normal practice to be fair and also our builder was lovely and I'd defy anyone to fall out with him. The only problem we ever had was the guttering when our extension was modernised last year and the new guttering was much larger than the existing so the existing had to remain on the boundary. I can't see it and tbf the neighbour can only see the new one if they look back towards the house from their garden. I can't see the point in withholding access for the sake of it, just set the ground rules and stick to them.

Did your builder reinstate the fence back to the boundary line once the extension was completed? Otherwise you’ve got exceptionally accommodating neighbours giving up a metre strip of land. smile

Yorki Wed 16-Jun-21 01:39:09

Hels001... I feel so sorry for you, it upsets me how people think.tbey have the right to walk all over others feelings.. They sound like they're encroaching onto your property at will. You need to get in touch with your local planning advisor, they'll come and look at what has being done and disgust your grievances whilst telling you if your neighbours have acted unlawfully.. If they haven't, there isn't much you can do. I wouldn't be able to get along with people like that. It's sad, but I would have to move. I say this, because I've been in a similar situation. and moved, but not without having my say.

Hels001 Tue 15-Jun-21 22:01:15

Aww bless you all for your advice. I fear it will be a long drawn out and probably expensive procedure.
Tictacnana I don't blame you for not allowing them onto your property there's no way I'm letting them on ours not since it seems we don't have to. The six foot fence will be quite welcome so long as its in their land. I will keep you all posted - no pun intended as to how this pans out. Thank you all once again.

tictacnana Tue 15-Jun-21 17:56:15

My appalling neighbours did this st my first house. I didn’t let them come onto my property to point the side elevation of the extension and there was nothing they could do about it. During the build they took down the fence and their huge fog had the run of both gardens. They knew my terror of dogs so my action was payback. Childish, I know, but I begged them to keep their dog in so that I could go out to garden or put washing out but I was told NO. I don’t think they can demand to be on your property but the law may have changed since my experience. Good luck !

Newquay Tue 15-Jun-21 09:30:51

I really feel for you. We live in a semi and the young couple in our other half need to extend at the back. They showed us the plans, had told architect to make it as convenient for us as possible. It WILL be different and will stop the sun coming round til later but we can live with that. Hope you get satisfaction from all advice given here.

Sarnia Tue 15-Jun-21 08:22:15

mokryna

Hels001 Please let us know what happens. We can all remember of Honeycrock Farm in Salfords, Surrey.

Oh yes. That's very close to me. What a long drawn out fiasco that was.

mokryna Mon 14-Jun-21 22:35:34

Hels001 Please let us know what happens. We can all remember of Honeycrock Farm in Salfords, Surrey.

joysutty Mon 14-Jun-21 22:10:58

Yes, our house insurance has Legal for free. You can't get advice + the solicitor that they use will be able to type a letter for you to them expressing your issues + concerns + costs of the damage issues. The other place that is very helpful is The Land Registry department, who will come down to visit you, measure any spaces, areas, border lines etc. As we had them down when our newer neighbours tried to claim 6 inches of land when taking down fence that was between us bith, and putting a new one up in its place. Found out we were correct as we had plan of our property/land for proof + the Land Registry brought the plans with the guy of both gardens and he paid them a visit + all was resolved amicably.

piano0156 Mon 14-Jun-21 19:16:49

You should have been consulted before the work started and I think you should have objected as soon as the work began and asked for details. Sure it's illegal. Good luck.

Hels001 Mon 14-Jun-21 18:48:27

Thank you so much for all your advice. Your right we haven't been as firm as perhaps we should. I think DH was intimidated by the builders and when he approached the neighbours found them to equally as intimidating. I will be looking into the plans and giving building inspector a call as my next step. I thought they couldn't just come and put posts into our land even if it was to put a panel up to protect their wall. Thank you all once again as always when we grans get our heads together we can work it out!

Ydoc Mon 14-Jun-21 18:20:45

It sounds to me very like you are being bullied. They seem to be dictating to you everything. You need to firm up, they are walking all over you, awful people.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 14-Jun-21 17:25:15

In December 2019 our neighbours put in for planning permission to build a vast extension and they were going to remove the boundary wall to do so. We took legal advice and found that they could only build unto about 2 or 3 feet (can't remember which) up to the boundary as their foundations could not go onto our land. Also they or the builders could not come onto your land without permission.
So I would say go to your local council and get the plans checked out and speak to Building Control. In the meanwhile with a note from you or the solicitor telling them no posts on your land.

Mosie Mon 14-Jun-21 16:49:44

My sister had a similar problem with her neighbour. Apparently after 7 years they can claim the land where they have breached the boundary. Try to have a direct conversation with them, presenting them with a bill for the damage already done. If they do not recognise your concerns Make it clear to them in writing that they do not have permission to come on to your land. Also make clear that they cannot put a fence up on your side of the boundary, again in writing and that you will arrange to have the fence removed if they do so.
It also helps to illicit support from other neighbours.
I know though how upsetting this all can be but it is important to stand your ground.

katy1950 Mon 14-Jun-21 16:36:55

Some people are so thoughtless I hope you get it sorted out. We live right by the canal our bedroom is quite literally on the towpath there are no other houses for atleast 500 yards either side of us but canal boats moor their boats right by our bedroom are they thick or what

CarlyD7 Mon 14-Jun-21 16:21:15

You've had a lot of good advice already. the only thing I wanted to add is that where I live it's not permitted to build right up to the boundary (a gap has to be left) so I would certainly check that out. Agree that you've obviously been far too lenient about this from the start and they clearly think that you're pushovers and they can do what they want. As for anyone-else facing this problem in the future, can I advise them to keep a diary and take photos, and get advice as fast as possible when these situations start? (I used to work for Citizens Advice).

durstonc Mon 14-Jun-21 16:18:40

If you have buildings insurance most cover free legal advice, I would check with your insurer. I know how you feel we have just gone through the same situation, broken Ariel, damage to our drain cover and inner pot, render knocked off our garage. I complained to the builder and asked when it’s going to be put right, his reply “ain’t going to happen”, he’s now left the sight. They are now having problems with French doors and want my husband to fix them, it’s his line of work. He’s told them to get the builder out. They’ve built a raised decking 1.5 meters bigger than allowed, moved the access to it, and are refusing to put up privacy screens on both sides. They have a we can do what we want attitude. However, someone has reported the raised decking to the council so I expect something will get done about it.

FlexibleFriend Mon 14-Jun-21 16:02:30

When we had our extension built our next door neighbour was quite accommodating and easy going. Our builder removed the existing fence and rebuilt it a metre into the neighbours garden. That enabled them to build the wall and point it neatly which benefitted us and the neighbour, as they were the ones who had to look at it. The fence being built meant all the dogs stayed in their respective gardens and the builders didn't interfere with the neighbours daily life. I thought this was normal practice to be fair and also our builder was lovely and I'd defy anyone to fall out with him. The only problem we ever had was the guttering when our extension was modernised last year and the new guttering was much larger than the existing so the existing had to remain on the boundary. I can't see it and tbf the neighbour can only see the new one if they look back towards the house from their garden. I can't see the point in withholding access for the sake of it, just set the ground rules and stick to them.

Torbroud Mon 14-Jun-21 16:01:48

Go and see planning, they have the drawings and specifications for what was agreed, they cannot put up a fence on your ground they have built to the boundaries. But go and see planning

Dixsy Mon 14-Jun-21 15:40:22

I know exactly how you feel since losing my husband I've had nothing but trouble with my neighbours everything they have built they have been right up to the boundary..I haven't a problem with that but they think it's there right for there builder to come onto my property to point it and its me in the wrong for not letting them... Same round the back of the house where they have a garden shed .They pull the hedge up but instead of going half way they came the full length of the hedge so now it's on my property something I let go ..Until there roofing felt blow off and the guy who was repairing it had to stand on my fence to repair it as there isn't any gap to do it from there side..They even called the police on me for not allowing it..

Semiruralgirl Mon 14-Jun-21 15:33:58

Just read your post, and shown it to my husband who is an architect. He advises that you should go to a solicitor who may advise you to speak to a ‘party wall’ surveyor, but will suggest what you should do next. It sounds really bad that your neighbours have trespassed, and ignored you. Hope you get some satisfaction after all this.

Annlilyoliver Mon 14-Jun-21 15:32:32

I was in almost exactly this position and it cost me 2K to get it sorted out legally which I could not reclaim although I tried. My advice would be rip out anything that is on your property and sling it back over the fence Trespass is the best defence for you after that. I speak from bitter experience I had to sort this out because I wanted to sell. There was no problem declaring re conveyancing as I had sorted out the problem which everyone agreed was a complete diabolical liberty which sounds like you have here unfortunately

Daftbag1 Mon 14-Jun-21 15:31:31

I don't have any suggestions but wanted to just say that I'm really sorry, I would be devastated and feel unsafe though I acknowledge that's not a rational response. I suppose that I can only suggest CAB and maybe talk to the neighbours on the other side?

Midwifebi6 Mon 14-Jun-21 14:51:25

We have moved six times in our 50 years of marriage at one address we lived in a 5 bedroom semi detached house, we had new neighbours move in after they had been there two weeks they wanted to know would we sell them our driveway so they could make the semi into a terrace. We told them no we would not agree to it. The driveway was long enough for five cars number to bumper. They then got planning permission to build an extension onto the back of their house, whilst we were at work they had 25,000 bricks stacked onto our driveway plus bags of cement cement mixer portable toilet and other stuff, then we had the scaffolding and roofing materials all on our driveway. We had, had enough after months of builders and mess so we had the house valued to sell and we were told it was worth £350,000 we decided to put it up for sale for £450,000. As expected those next wanted to buy it for their “extended family” . We told them the only reason we were selling was because of the disruption and upset they had caused us but we would not sell to them unless they paid us £475,000 they agreed. We paid off our mortgage with the extra money. Looking back on it it was very stressful so we made them compensate us. As it turned out they made two houses into one big house. .