Gransnet forums

AIBU

to resent the census requiring details of employer from years ago

(133 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Tue 22-Jun-21 10:07:02

In 2011 and 2021 the census required, on pain of £1000 fine if not done, everyone not in employment but who have ever had paid employment (their bold type) to write down the name and address of their most recent employer, regardless of how long ago it was, maybe many decades.

The letter, that included the part about being fined, ended with Yours sincerely Sir name.

So anybody made redundant or losing their job unfairly has, for the rest of their life it now seems, to be shackled in the census to an employer, as if they are not a free person but just "allowed to have their time".

I felt quite resentful about this and wonder if others do too.

I cannot understand how that information about most recent employment many years ago is in any way needed for the supposed reason for the census of planning for the future.

Someone might have lost a good job through redundancy and then, doing their best to support themselves and any dependents they might have by taking whatever job they could get, so now they are branded with that job.

Someone made redundant due to the pandemic then needed to write down the name and address of the former employer.

This was not an optional census question.

It seems like bureaucracy gone into an Orwellian nightmare.

ElderlyPerson Fri 25-Jun-21 02:07:13

I am not trolling, this is entirely genuine.

In hindsight I am thinking that instead of asking AIBU, to seek an answer, perhaps I should have just started a thread saying "I am upset and hurting, I feel powerless about it. Is there anybody out there willing to listen to what I want to rant about and be sympathetic please."

Chewbacca Thu 24-Jun-21 23:34:51

Completely agree with you AmberSpyglass! Takes all sorts though eh? grin

AmberSpyglass Thu 24-Jun-21 23:21:59

chewbacca I know, it just seems…. Forced? Like a cliche?

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 22:48:41

Definitely not!

Best avoided then.

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 22:17:46

Elderly person is on another thread extolling the virtues of
Veganism, which brings inner peace…this is not apparent however on this thread

Chewbacca Thu 24-Jun-21 21:23:43

Don't think so AmberSpyglass; ElderlyPerson has posted before and has started a couple of other threads, so no trolling.

MawBe Thu 24-Jun-21 21:21:08

WHAT have we done to have Eurovision inflicted on us? ???

AmberSpyglass Thu 24-Jun-21 20:54:22

Pretty sure this is a troll, GNHQ

ElderlyPerson Thu 24-Jun-21 19:03:35

Some beautiful music.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl6WH-3I_gM

MawBe Thu 24-Jun-21 19:01:00

You have got so much out of proportion on this issue- as I said my strong feeling is that there is more to it.

ElderlyPerson Thu 24-Jun-21 18:54:22

MawBe

Let’s face it ElderlyPerson this is not about the fairness or otherwise of Census questions but some long buried grudge you have about a previous employment which has been reawakened by the Census questions.
This is another matter altogether and one which you might benefit rom talking over with a suitably qualified person.
Your views on slavery, on dubious practices by a previous employer or about the job you ended up doing after being made redundant or suffering constructive dismissal - all of these have nothing to do with the Census.
And no, it is not “disgusting” for questions of this type to feature and Yes you are being totally unreasonable if not obsessive.

It is about both.

Certainly if I had not been made redundant and had retired normally with pension straightaway then I might have just filled in the answer to the question.

But the question is still unfair.

I don't feel so bad about the original redundancy now. I have the pension now - not as much as it might have been but for redundancy, but more than if I had never had that job, and it was very enjoyable and satisfying until all the restructuring exercise started. It was a long commute that I had started when much younger and it was a bit of a trek in some of the winters and so I avoided over ten years of commuting. Maybe I would have survived, maybe I might have been in a bad accident. Maybe as I got older I would have become worn out. Maybe not. I have attended courses that I could not have attended otherwise.

Maybe there are other census questions that upset other people due to their circumstances that just passed me by.

Did they ask if people were divorced for example?

Someone who is divorced is legally single, and some employers record them as that unless in the appropriate situation someone specifically requests being recorded as divorced, perhaps to show that their children were born whilst the person was married. Similarly with widows.

I think it wrong that some government forms insist on married or single. They should allow people to put widow or widower, treating them the same as single, but why should a widow or widower be required to answer single.

A nasty thing they do too is treat partner as including spouse, when partner and spouse are two different statuses.

So they ask Do you have a partner? Then define partner as including spouse. So why should a married person be required to answer yes to having a partner when they are married.

I consider that it is disgusting to ask about name and address of former employer decades later. How does that help plan for the future?

But I asked AIBU and you have replied, so thank you.

MawBe Thu 24-Jun-21 17:46:07

Let’s face it ElderlyPerson this is not about the fairness or otherwise of Census questions but some long buried grudge you have about a previous employment which has been reawakened by the Census questions.
This is another matter altogether and one which you might benefit rom talking over with a suitably qualified person.
Your views on slavery, on dubious practices by a previous employer or about the job you ended up doing after being made redundant or suffering constructive dismissal - all of these have nothing to do with the Census.
And no, it is not “disgusting” for questions of this type to feature and Yes you are being totally unreasonable if not obsessive.

Doodledog Thu 24-Jun-21 17:33:27

You do realise that if you wanted you could have put a different employer's details, and nobody would be any the wiser? do you honestly think that anyone has time to check out every census entry, and to contact the named employers, many of whom would have gone out of business years ago?

I think your suggestion that this is as bad as slavery is misguided at best, to be honest. I am trying hard to be sympathetic, as I realise that just because something doesn't bother me is not to say that it won't bother someone else, but I'm struggling a bit now.

ElderlyPerson Thu 24-Jun-21 17:08:42

AmberSpyglass

This is a very odd thread - it sounds like you’re bothered by your last job before you retired and don’t want to fill it in on the census? And then you compared it to the disgusting indignity of slavery and you completely lost me. There’s no nice way of saying it, but based on this and your previous thread, you might want to start putting things into perspective.

My point about slavery was that after it was abolished, instead of giving people a fresh start, perhaps offering them a choice of surnames they were locked in to the indignity of the name of their oppressor.

Likewise, I no longer work for that employer that wanted me to tell lies, no connection whatsoever, no pension or anything like that, no connection, so why am I saddled with it decades afterwards simply because it was the most recent paid employment that I had. Apparently the telephone directory of at least one country in the Caribbean lists many instances of the surname of a previous so called slave owner, as the descendants of those victims of slavery still have that name.

The census only started asking for name and address of a PREVIOUS employer in 2011. Disgusting.

To which previous thread are you referring?

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 17:01:07

MawBe

I am confused.
You were a store detective?
A hitman?
A professional shoplifter?

You are talking in ever decreasing circles and you know what happened to the jub-jub bird* don’t you?

* it flew round and round in ever decreasing circles

Rather like the fkawi bird…

AmberSpyglass Thu 24-Jun-21 15:56:01

This is a very odd thread - it sounds like you’re bothered by your last job before you retired and don’t want to fill it in on the census? And then you compared it to the disgusting indignity of slavery and you completely lost me. There’s no nice way of saying it, but based on this and your previous thread, you might want to start putting things into perspective.

ElderlyPerson Thu 24-Jun-21 15:18:05

Thanks for that, I well might,
But first must think, what to write

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 24-Jun-21 14:30:23

A second poem whilst I was typing! You really do have a gift. Could you be the next (gentleman) Pam Ayres?! (I have probably mis-spelled her surname.). Please post more poems!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 24-Jun-21 14:26:13

I’ve just been reading this today Elderly Person, and I hope you genuinely do feel better. I enjoyed the poem, you have a talent there. I’ve been researching my family history over the years (a very absorbing hobby which I can highly recommend) and the censuses are very helpful. However there was a time when people were required to state how many years they had been married and the ages of their children, the age of the eldest child not infrequently equalling or exceeding the number of years of marriage. I reckon that might have been a little embarrassing for the illiterate people who had to give that information to the enumerator to write down for them! And of course many poor souls were just listed as ‘inmates’ of a workhouse or asylum. I think none the less of them for that or indeed anything contained in each decennial snapshot. Honest work of whatever kind is no shame. Please don’t worry about all this when you complete the next census, or indeed at all - as they say, the past is another country! If it comes to mind send it packing back where it belongs and find something pleasant to do or think about. Enjoy the here and now; it is finite and we are so very lucky to have it.

ElderlyPerson Thu 24-Jun-21 14:06:23

The question is, what to do
When census questioning bothers you
To me the answer seems quite plain,
Write a poem, ditch the pain!

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 13:44:41

You should have written "Poet" on the census form, *ElderlyPerson"

wink

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Jun-21 13:07:56

Ha ha!
Well done!

ElderlyPerson Thu 24-Jun-21 12:46:28

I posted the above, but the thread did not appear on the active list.

So, try again.

ElderlyPerson Thu 24-Jun-21 12:29:50

NotSpaghetti

ElderlyPerson
I assure you that you are not the sum of your last (miserable) job experience. You are beyond that now and have survived. Good for you!

If you are really really bothered by it maybe you could do a week or two proofreading for someone or maybe write poetry and attempt to get it published in the next 10 years for example. Maybe you can become a self-employed artist or craftsperson? I don't know your skills...
If you really want to I think you may be able to "overwrite" this bit of your past with a one-off short term job.

Otherwise, please try to be pleased you are out! I left one job where my manager was both horrible and incompetent - I'd be happy to put that job on the census to be honest.
It was a miracle I survived!

Thank you all for being so kind
Your kindly posts help me unwind
Sharing your stories has helped me
To forget what happened, that's the key!
I've shared my story with all of you
I hope that has been helpful too
A kind suggestion brought me cheer
I've written a poem - now published here!

M0nica Thu 24-Jun-21 06:57:29

When I registered the death of an uncle, I put his occupation down as 'civil servant', which he was for 40 years, and quite a senior one, despite the fact that after he retired, he had worked on the assembly line of a shoe factory because he disliked not working and wanted to understand what life was like for those who did jobs like that. He made life long friends.