Gransnet forums

AIBU

Afraid to speak out.

(191 Posts)
ExD Fri 02-Jul-21 09:58:04

I'm beginning to feel how I imagine German people felt when Hitler came to power, I'm afraid to speak of my feelings.
Emmerdale and Corrie both force fed us 'gay' propaganda this last week in a blatant attempt to make same sex love the new norm.
Whatever you say - it's not the way the majority of the population behave (though many do) and although I'm content for people to follow their natural inclinations in this department - why do TV programmers force feed it to us?
I mean, how many gays can one village (or street) contain as a percentage?
I know I'll be shot down for being homophobic, but I don't feel I dare criticise this policy - which makes me uneasy. I feel the Thought Police are here, and soon our neighbours and family will be encouraged to inform on those who speak out.
This is not an invitation for you to sling mud at me and call me a horrible person, although you can if you wish, I'd seriously like to know how many other people felt uncomfortable with the storylines, and the self congratulatory trend of the writers.

Kim19 Fri 02-Jul-21 10:04:56

I agree with you ExD. I'm not at all uncomfortable with the storylines. Just bored. My same sex friends don't make any declaration. They just get on with it.

NanKate Fri 02-Jul-21 10:15:03

I too agree with you ExD.

I feel sometimes we are not allowed to have an opinion that is different from the the ‘latest thinking’. The ‘Thought Police’ are out there and free speech will soon be a thing of the past.

Grannycool52 Fri 02-Jul-21 10:15:24

Mmmh, I have a number of gay friends, but I don't think the proportion of gay to straight friends is anything like that in Corrie.
Among the regulars we have Billy, Todd, Paul, Sean, James, James's would-be boyfriend, Sophie (on leave at present) and the female barrister, plus all those who have been and gone from the show.
On the other hand, I enjoyed seeing James coming out as a high-profile gay footballer.

Baggs Fri 02-Jul-21 10:38:37

I think the idea is to get people who think homosexual relationships are sinful to get used to the idea that such relationships are 'natural'. This doesn't mean that the majority won't stick with heterosexual relationships which are, after all, still the best way to reproduce.

It's not homophobic to think heterosexual relationships are normal and that homosexual relationships, while natural to some people and not harmful to everyone else, are not "the norm". You only have to look at the rest of the sexual animal world to see that that is true.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 10:42:58

I mean, how many gays can one village (or street) contain as a percentage?

Just the one, I think. wink

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 10:44:04

You only have to look at the rest of the sexual animal world to see that that is true.

www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/gay-male-penguins-steal-lesbian-couple-s-eggs-dutch-zoo-n1244575

Baggs Fri 02-Jul-21 10:46:25

I knew someone would post something like that, Alegrias. That there are cases of homosexuality in species other than humans only supports my argument above: that for some sexual animals homosexuality is 'natural' but still not "the norm".

Baggs Fri 02-Jul-21 10:48:09

When I start seeing evidence of sexual animals other than humans reproducing (IVF) outside of heterosexual relationships, I'll stop thinking as I currently do.

M0nica Fri 02-Jul-21 10:48:53

I haven't seen any soap operas, but I think it is a metropolitan mediasphere bubble, where a disproportionate number of people are very gender diverse and assume that the whole country is as diverse as they are and as obsessed by rights as they expect that society should be shaped entirely in their image.

If they were to get out into the world that the remaining 95+% live in, I think they would get a shock.

DD worked for the BBC for some years in the first decade of the century and she was very critical of an atmosphere where to admit to any religious affiliation, or even worse, support the Conservatives would make you a figure of fun.

JaneJudge Fri 02-Jul-21 10:50:37

I have been wondering about the pigeons, they have SO MUCH sex with one another, especially at certain times of the day. How do they know they are male or female? Some of them look exactly the same, marking wise, which makes me think there must be some male of male pigeon action? I tend to think the female/female pigeon love is more discrete and less in your face

Yes, we are over run with them

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 10:51:24

Yes I know Baggs, I was being facetious, but I had to post something funny or I would have spoken my mind and got into trouble.

Nobody's is preventing anybody from speaking about anything. The jump from "too many gays on Coronation Street" to "its like Hitler's Germany and free speech is in danger" is just too much to take seriously.

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 10:52:13

I think the idea is to get people who think homosexual relationships are sinful to get used to the idea that such relationships are 'natural

But I don't think overkill of any subject does that, it just annoys people and in fact can have the opposite effect.

Our road? Probably one gay couple (may be more, who knows) out of several couples, families, singles, but they are just the neighbours.

Peasblossom Fri 02-Jul-21 10:56:52

Ah, pigeons breed all the year round if the conditions are right. And even if they’re not, they still have a go.

Cockerels are the same?

Does anybody think any soap is meant to represent real life? Good Lord. They’re always in accidents, getting ill or being murdered. And they seem to quarrel and take offence incessantly.

I think you’re getting a bit worked up about a fiction, ExD.

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 11:00:57

Does anybody think any soap is meant to represent real life? Good Lord. They’re always in accidents, getting ill or being murdered. And they seem to quarrel and take offence incessantly.

That's why we never watch them although I did like Corrie in the olden days when Ena, Minnie and Martha used to sit in the Snug and put the world to rights. smile

JaneJudge Fri 02-Jul-21 11:03:50

I've noticed no one does the avon catalogue either. They've had a huge storyline about some pyramid scheme and no one even mentioned avon or how Sally - the pretend avon lady for this example, had a surplus of skin so soft left which she couldn't shift because of Sean and his fake Mercedes and everyone knows how good it is for keeping away the thunder bugs

JaneJudge Fri 02-Jul-21 11:05:11

Interesting re the pigeons and the correct conditions btw. Ours favour a particular fence at 4pm and they even seem to invite friends

Peasblossom Fri 02-Jul-21 11:05:28

They never go to the toilet either.

Oh let’s have a list of everyday stuff that people in soaps never do.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 11:06:20

Leave in taxis and never come back, even for close relatives' funerals.

Pigeons in our garden are always at it.

Peasblossom Fri 02-Jul-21 11:07:04

JaneJudge

Interesting re the pigeons and the correct conditions btw. Ours favour a particular fence at 4pm and they even seem to invite friends

We’ve got a constantly bonking pair on our front fence. I sit on the sofa and watch them at it??

They might be gay, of course.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 11:11:14

TBF, I think we have undermined ExD's OP.

I personally don't have an issue with gay people on TV, irrespective of how many there are or what program they're on. I don't think there is a "policy" to shove it down our throats.

But it is a problem if people think they can't speak out about things, and me (us?) making fun doesn't help.

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 11:12:52

Peasblossom grin

At least one of our pairs probably isn't, as one parent brought their baby to the garden last week.
They both sat there for ages, not moving as Mummy (or Daddy) surveyed the garden and said "this, son (or daughter) is your kingdom. Ignore the humans, they think it's theirs but it's not".

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 11:13:44

Sorry, ExD

What I said earlier is relevant.

JaneJudge Fri 02-Jul-21 11:18:03

I actually think they try and over do things too much. I imagine it is really quite difficult to be a vicar and be openly gay and have rather a lot of relationships. I imagine a lot of parishioners would be quite upset about it. This is re coronation street btw not the pigeons . Of course Jack used to keep pigeons and not once did I hear him say 'they are always at in hole 7 our Vera' not once

Peasblossom Fri 02-Jul-21 11:21:14

Yes, sorry ExD. I don’t watch either so I suppose I can’t really comment.

Is it that it seems out of proportion to “real life” proportions?
But, like I said, soaps are totally out of proportion in all kinds of storylines.

Storylines need things to exaggerated. People watch for the drama.