Gransnet forums

AIBU

Queue jumpers

(103 Posts)
Beswitched Wed 07-Jul-21 21:35:49

In my local convenience store there is a system of one queue for all the tills. Invariably someone will just walk up to a till where someone has just paid, ignoring the queue and start unpacking their groceries . The staff never say anything.

This evening there was a very long queue and when I came to the top a woman with a basket full of groceries just started hovering near one of the tills ignoring the queue. When it became free I just walked up past her and put my stuff on the belt. She started making an indignant face and glaring at me. I said politely 'there's actually one queue' and she said 'yes but 2 tills' and I said again 'but one queue' to which she reiterated that there were 2 tills.

Why on earth did she think that 7 or 8 people would all be patiently waiting at one till leaving the other one free?

AIBU to think she was just a cheeky chance?

indispensableme Mon 19-Jul-21 13:25:55

Elegran

This reminds me of a holiday in Austria. We were on a day trip by coach to the salt mines near Salzburg - four coaches full of tourists, and we had a front seat in the first coach, so had a grandstand view. We stopped at the mouth of a one-way tunnel through the mountains - several miles long, so there was a lengthy pause at traffic lights to let the traffic coming the other way get clear before we were allowed through, then more pause to be certain it was clear. Then on our way, but a short distance in we met a lone car heading towards us on the single track - he had obviously jumped the lights at the far end.

Did our driver give in and reverse back out? No fear - all the other coaches would have had to reverse too. He just kept going and the car driver had to reverse for several miles along a narrow twisting tunnel. The tourists waved cheerily to him as we passed in procession.

I had a similar experience with a very short one-way tunnel under a railway line, I entered with nothing coming the other way but as I was about 75% through a car entered from the other end and insisted on his right of way. You would not believe how badly and slowly I can reverse when the need arises, he was, by the time he passed me purple in the face, blowing him a kiss obviously didn't make him feel any better.

dotters Wed 21-Jul-21 10:06:17

As regards the seats at bus stops ..... I always find it easy to speak to strangers outside so will say that I need a seat and will await my turn anyway!