Gransnet forums

AIBU

Binned

(61 Posts)
User7777 Thu 29-Jul-21 16:52:13

Am I unreasonable. I like to put my recycling boxes near fr door ready for next day. Just incase I need to add more stuff. Some damn fool keeps taking it and putting it out early. 3pm previous day and collection not till next day. Adverse weather can blow it everywhere and foxes and other animals can feast and make a mess. The distance between door and bins is 25ft. I dont walk very well. Cant seem to catch the culprit

Minerva Sat 31-Jul-21 11:11:41

Are you my neighbour? Shall I stop trying to help?

Lollin Sat 31-Jul-21 11:13:09

Germanshepherdsmum

Such a shame that someone who’s obviously trying to be helpful and remaining anonymous so not seeking thanks is called ‘a damn fool’. There aren’t enough of those kind people around. If OP was my neighbour I might be that damn fool.

Said what I was going to.

Carolpaint Sat 31-Jul-21 11:14:27

My friend had it worse a neighbour told the bin men that the recycling bin was not needed any longer, so it was taken away. It took two months before it could be replaced. Same neighbour told the visiting ten year old grandson of friend that he must not play outside on a concrete communal path. Think I prefer the kind neighbour.

Oofy Sat 31-Jul-21 11:14:56

My parents used to keep the wheely bins for recycling and general rubbish on the “landing” halfway up their front steps, as they didn’t want to wheel mucky bins through their terraced house. They were also on “assisted collect”. Mum died and Dad came to live with us 2 hours away, temporarily till we sorted things out. We got a letter threatening a fine from their local council about the wrong stuff being put in recycling, when no-one was living there to generate any rubbish. Somebody realising no-one was home had come into the garden and put rubbish in their wheely bin. Wouldn’t have minded, though a bit of a cheek, if they’d used the right bin. Council good as called me a liar when I rang up to tell them what was happening

4allweknow Sat 31-Jul-21 11:16:25

You can lock a bin store.

nipsmum Sat 31-Jul-21 11:24:56

That sounds as if someone is trying to be helpful. I often put my neighbours recycling out on the pavement on collection day. Is there a reason you leave it at the door so early. Why don't you just put it out in time for collection yourself . Problem solved !!!

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 11:30:19

It's best to check what will actually help someone, rather than deciding for yourself what you think will.

annodomini Sat 31-Jul-21 11:51:15

My house is an end terrace, so the residents in the next two houses have to wheel their bins round my house for collection at the front. My deeds stipulate that I must allow 'wheelbarrow access' which, nowadays, is interpreted as wheelie bins. My bin is often taken out and brought back by a very helpful neighbour.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 31-Jul-21 11:58:14

There are things you didn't think to mention. Do you have your own front door/ back door where you leave these boxes?

If others in the building are using the same entrance and exit to the building, I can well understand why they move the boxes that to them are cluttering the place up. The boxes could too be in the way for them getting in and out.

Surely, even although you do not walk well, it makes more sense to take the recycling right out to the bin once, thus solving the problem. If you are on your own, or just you and your husband, I imagine you usually have the same amount as we do, which can quite conveniently be thrown out in one go.

Daisydaisydaisy Sat 31-Jul-21 11:59:49

25 Avalons idea is perfect smile

Alioop Sat 31-Jul-21 12:01:12

Maybe your neighbour thinks they are being helpful so best leave a note to explain you would rather do it yourself. I put out bins for 2 elderly neighbours every week and spray the handles at the minute cos of Covid. One of them gave me a box of chocolates and a wine gift bag and inside it was a bleach spray which we both roared with laughter at. They can't thank me enough for doing it for them.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Jul-21 12:10:28

I don’t agree over this missadventure it’s hardly interfering to see a bin waiting, know the neighbour can’t walk much, and put it out for her My friends neighbour always does that for her, automatically when he does his own bin He doesn’t ask permission and she’s very grateful He brings it back too
I think user is really making a mountain out of a molehill
I don’t think foxes or cats are going to bother with a recycling bin and as others have said surely between 3 pm and 8 am the next day you haven’t made mountains of recycling

I actually can’t work out the logistics of users hall / bins etc etc she spoke of her recycling being moved but in the second post it’s the food bin that’s worrying her ??

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 12:17:46

You don't agree with people finding out what will actually help someone before doing it?
Fair enough.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. smile

Fi59 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:58:17

Minerva

Are you my neighbour? Shall I stop trying to help?

Are they causing an obstruction? Perhaps someone feels they are an eyesore left in (what I assume is) a communal area for longer than necessary.

25Avalon Sat 31-Jul-21 13:04:48

Does your food waste bin not have a “locking” lid to keep animals out? Ours are council provided and once you lower the handle down it locks the lid in place.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Jul-21 13:20:52

missadventure of course I didn’t mean that, we are talking about a specific thing a person who isn’t very mobile leaving her bin near her door and someone when taking their own out thinking they are doing a favour surely that’s not beyond reason or kindness
I m not talking about a neighbour painting her front door or weeding her garden without talking it over it just seems such a small kindness to get in a tizz over

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 13:26:42

It does seem that way, but the point has been made several times that the op values her independence.
It is causing her stress, so I don't think that is particularly helpful, whatever any of us may think.

kevincharley Sat 31-Jul-21 14:42:50

I'm wondering why foxes would want to feast on recycling?

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 14:44:33

They tear open any bags they find here.
They don't worry what colour it is.

Pammie1 Sat 31-Jul-21 14:50:15

If you have mobility problems that mean you have difficulty with your bins or recycling boxes, contact your local council to see if they have any, more suitable, alternatives for you. I have a disability and our bin men collect the bins from the passageway at the side of our house, empty them and then put them back. They do the same with the recycling boxes as I can’t manage to carry them. Alternatively, I agree, a polite note asking for the boxes to be left there until bin day is probably the answer.

Pammie1 Sat 31-Jul-21 15:00:52

@MissAdventure. I agree with you. I have a disability and I’m always grateful when some kind person offers to help, but there IS a downside to not finding out what is appropriate and what is not. For example, I have an assisted collection for my bins as I can’t move them - this means that the bin men collect them from outside my back door, empty them and then put them back. When we first moved here a couple of years ago, a kind neighbour put the bins out for me, which resulted in the council stopping the assisted collection because the bin men had reported that the bins were put out as normal at the end of the drive and they assumed I no longer needed the help. It took weeks to put right and I had to provide another lot of medical evidence to back up the request. I’ve also found that on some occasions when I’ve politely declined the help offered and pointed out that I’m better left to my way of doing things, I’ve been regarded as having a chip on my shoulder.

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 15:05:55

I'm glad somebody agrees. smile
What a pain, though, having to provide medical evidence again.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Jul-21 15:09:47

….….but original poster doesn’t have assisted collection ??‍♀️ So not relevant oh blimey it’s such a minor bit of help

Pammie1 Sat 31-Jul-21 15:23:22

@BlueBelle. But the point is, that in a lot of cases random kindness to a disabled person perceived as struggling, is not necessarily helpful to that person. I’m not being unkind or ungrateful but disability is a personal issue and most disabled people have their own way of doing things which may seem unwieldy or awkward to someone able bodied. I’ve been at the receiving end of a few random acts of kindness which have had unintended and difficult consequences. Would far rather be asked, that’s all I’m saying.

GillT57 Sat 31-Jul-21 16:06:39

I am not sure where you live, but if you have a shared hallway or front garden, maybe the person who moves it is being helpful or is fed up with your rubbish sitting about until the last minute? So in answer to your OP, yes you are being unreasonable!