Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that a trend is starting here

(159 Posts)
Pammie1 Sat 31-Jul-21 15:11:10

I’m trying to put this forward as delicately as I can because I know it’s a difficult subject, and I’m probably going to get flamed however I put it. I have just been listening to the news from the Olympics and it seems that following Simone Biles’ withdrawal from competition, citing her mental health as the reason, several other athletes are now following suit. I have ongoing mental health issues myself so I know something of MH issues. I realise that there are huge stresses on these athletes but am I being unreasonable to think that if you have competed for and gained a place on the Olympic team then you have a responsibility to make sure that you are mentally prepared for it as well as physically ? One athlete has pulled out, citing mental health issues after failing to qualify for a particular event. Mental health issues have rightly been highlighted as a result of the pandemic, and I agree that there is not enough being done in this area, but surely the midst of competition at the highest level is not the right place to consider whether you are ‘in the right frame of mind’ to compete. What do others think ?

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Aug-21 10:49:25

Yes, brilliant news

MerylStreep Tue 03-Aug-21 10:51:00

Lucca

Well done Simone Biles coming back for a great performance on the beam

Wonderful to see her back. ?????

FarNorth Tue 03-Aug-21 10:57:31

Here is a 5-minute programme from two men who are involved in sports, on mental health and the pressures in sport.

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09qwt78

Mollygo Tue 03-Aug-21 12:01:59

Well fine Simone!
I was so pleased for her, though my heart was in my mouth all the way through because I heard she had spatial awareness problems as part of the stress. I’d rather fall over on the floor than the beam!

jeanie99 Wed 04-Aug-21 07:45:20

I have had problems in my life with mental health and the last thing you do is put yourself in a stressful situation. It's just unthinkable you would know you couldn't cope.
Everyone is using this statement these days to get out of whatever situation they are in.

MoorlandMooner Wed 04-Aug-21 16:54:15

Germanshepherdmum "some people have plenty of appetite for it and can even spend time looking up statistics of people who have joined the forces."

I guess some of us are the kind of people who look for facts to inform our opinions and some aren't.

Lucca Wed 04-Aug-21 17:02:20

“ Everyone is using this statement these days to get out of whatever situation they are in.” Everyone ?
Whatever situation ?

PippaZ Thu 05-Aug-21 10:26:03

jeanie99

I have had problems in my life with mental health and the last thing you do is put yourself in a stressful situation. It's just unthinkable you would know you couldn't cope.
Everyone is using this statement these days to get out of whatever situation they are in.

You are at least the second person who has declared they have lived with mental health issues and then castigated others who are trying to resolve theirs.

It's not a good look to be honest.