Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think

(85 Posts)
OldHag Sun 12-Sep-21 13:05:35

AIBU to think that fashion in the UK is SO boring these days? I'm 62 and feel that there is nothing new or exciting these days. I see the occasional thing pop up online that I get excited about, only to find that the companies that advertise them are either rip off merchants, or the quality is rubbish, etc., and end up really disappointed.

Is it just me, or do you know of anywhere that sells bright, exciting styles these days, or have I just reached an age where I've seen it all, even the colours are dreary and boring?

Elegran Mon 11-Oct-21 20:31:41

I have just bought a very nice top (Cobalt/Lime Floral Crush Pleat Blouse) from Chesca, " a luxe fashion brand designed for the curvy woman founded by Jacqui Green size 20" chescadirect.co.uk/ Most things are in sizes 12 to 26

Smurf52 Mon 11-Oct-21 20:06:00

Ulla Popken.

Ethelwashere1 Sun 19-Sep-21 08:50:01

Give me the charity shops anyday. However ive bought a couple of tops from next, not exciting but suitable for work. Asda george has nothing now that i like, i used to go to george often. I also go to M&S for something lasting but most clothes nowadays are too expensive for me

Lilyflower Wed 15-Sep-21 14:20:44

Gosh, I agree. All those frumpy, flowery, long sleeved dresses. They do nothing for anyone. Even pretty women with nice figures look as dull as dishwater and their nice figures are hidden by billowing, shapeless cotton.

Deedaa Tue 14-Sep-21 23:42:36

We've got a very good charity shop that sells some lovely clothes. I've bought tops by Fat Face, East and White Stuff and a wonderful red Per Una maxi dress. eBay has come up with a long skirt from Seasalt and a dress and a top from Joe Brown. Definitely getting more colourful. I reckon that at 75 if I don't wear some bright stuff now I never will do.

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Sep-21 23:20:37

We’re so lucky to be able to dress as we want, whether it be classic, colourful or bohemian. There’s so much choice out there, and no need for anyone to be forced into clothes they don’t like. Most new fashion is aimed at the young, and rightly so, but there’s nothing to stop us joining in if we want to. My DDs are currently floating round like something out of Little House on the Prairie though - an adorable look on them, but if I tried it at my age I’d look as though I’d escaped from a home, so I’ll pass. grin I’m trying these days to use and adapt what I already have, rather than adding stuff I don’t need. But I’ve bought a couple of cheerful things in the sales this Summer from Joules and Gudrun S. - they’re well made and will be used a lot.

Dinahmo Tue 14-Sep-21 22:09:20

I forgot the name. It's called Style Arc.

Dinahmo Tue 14-Sep-21 22:08:54

OldHag

Thank you all for your suggestions and input. I've had a look at most of the recommendations, and have found one or two items that I've liked. Joe Browns style seems like the sort of thing I might like, although I need to lose a bit more weight to buy from them, but at least I've found a little inspiration, and have also come to the conclusion that as I knit and sew, maybe I should just have a look for fabrics and yarns in colours I like and perhaps commit to making my own style.

There's an Australian company that has a small range of patterns. most of which are quite simple. And the range isn't too large. They send everywhere but you can also download the patterns.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 14-Sep-21 16:49:24

I like Gudron and White Stuff. Sahara are great if you stick to their sales! I recently bought a purple tunic from them, much reduced, and put it away for the winter. Kin at John Lewis are good too. A little unusual and I have to buy a size smaller as the dresses and tops are very baggy. Seasalt are interesting and do dresses, leggings and coats, all in bright colours.

maytime2 Tue 14-Sep-21 16:43:52

The current fashion for very full dresses with tiers and flounces only really look good on youngsters and those who are size 12 or under.
I'm sorry but anyone who likes that style but is larger is deluded if they think it makes them look younger or slimmer. Why buy something that it deliberately going to make you look bigger than what you are.
I feel the same way about winter jumpers. Any thick, chunky jumper is going to add inches to your body.
Of course, at the end of the day, everyone will wear what they like.

helgawills Tue 14-Sep-21 10:52:41

Fashion, haha. Stopped after the 1970s, 80s style was awful, sort of Thatcherite. Trying to be sustainable and buy very little, only essentials. T shirts from charities, ie Rainforest Trust, RSPB etc. For other items try Natural Collection, People Tree etc. Or Charity Shops. Oxfam run annual Second Hand September Campaign.
The 'Fashion Industry' is one of the biggest contributers to climate change.
When my daughter graduated from Edinburgh Vet School 3 years ago, I wore a skirt over 20 years old and a top over 40 years old.

dragonfly46 Tue 14-Sep-21 09:04:44

Having just looked at Zara it would appear baggy is in this year. Is it because we have all grown larger over Lockdown!

MayBeMaw Tue 14-Sep-21 08:52:15

MayBeMaw

What are we complaining about? Look at these-
Traditional Afghan dress compared with women students wearing what the Taliban are imposing.
“Fashion” may be trivial but it can also express your personality and choice in your life.
So wear what you like- enjoy every bit of variety, colour or style - and spare a thought for young women who do not enjoy even the freedom of their own choice of clothes.

Trying again

MayBeMaw Tue 14-Sep-21 08:42:42

I used to buy a lot of Sahara but they have got even more pricey. I usually get a classic in their sale - or for a real treat, pre-pandemic, used to love their twice-yearly “pop-up” sale off Pall Mall packed full of bargains.

RillaofIngleside Tue 14-Sep-21 08:34:27

I always go to White Stuff, Fatface, Joules and Seasalt Cornwall. I refuse to dress like my mum and mother in law did at my age (I'm 65). I have a collection of bright, on the knee or just above, cheerful dresses. I know what you mean about the adverts, some of those clothes look gorgeous, but in reality are cheap and poorly made. I wish a real good quality manufacturer would pick them up and sell them in the UK.

MerylStreep Tue 14-Sep-21 08:30:21

Elvis58

Pop up ads online ate a rip off!
Online shopping" is fraught with disappointment " my wise friend says.

Your wise friend isn’t that wise
Many of us have been shopping online for years with reputable companies.

Lizzie72 Tue 14-Sep-21 08:28:13

And this one
instagram.com/sarahlondonstyle?utm_medium=copy_link

Lizzie72 Tue 14-Sep-21 08:19:13

instagram.com/superkombi?utm_medium=copy_link

instagram.com/judith_notjudy?utm_medium=copy_link

Browsing Instagram, I came across these two (older) women, showing what they wear. They are in Australia in fact, but I suspect many of us grans here dress very similarly to this?

MayBeMaw Tue 14-Sep-21 08:12:48

Maybe now?

MayBeMaw Tue 14-Sep-21 08:10:20

Gremlins or maybe the Taliban don’t seem to want me to post the pics

MayBeMaw Tue 14-Sep-21 08:08:21

What are we complaining about? Look at these-
Traditional Afghan dress compared with women students wearing what the Taliban are imposing.
“Fashion” may be trivial but it can also express your personality and choice in your life.
So wear what you like- enjoy every bit of variety, colour or style - and spare a thought for young women who do not enjoy even the freedom of their own choice of clothes.

Hetty58 Tue 14-Sep-21 01:10:31

Dig out your favourite clothes - and make paper patterns from them (I used a roll of thin lining paper) by drawing around the shape and adding seam allowances.

Get some lovely material and make copies in different colours. They fit perfectly and you're bound to like them!

justwokeup Tue 14-Sep-21 00:19:56

Bazza lovely recommendation- the first on this thread I like besides Seasalt. One of those is going on my wish list! Or rather I buy it and say ‘you bought this for me, great choice’.

Lizzie72 Mon 13-Sep-21 21:28:05

BBbevan

Toast is good. Innovative and not too colourful

But very expensive!

BBbevan Mon 13-Sep-21 20:40:04

Toast is good. Innovative and not too colourful