Gransnet forums

AIBU

Next door's garden

(32 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 16-Sep-21 11:54:33

I’d think it was up to the church, too. I would have a chat to your local vicar or whatever denomination owns it.

Teacheranne Thu 16-Sep-21 11:20:44

Have you contacted the letting agency? Most tenants are required to maintain the garden and I believe can have their deposit with held when they leave if it’s a mess - that was I was told when we let out mums house.

However, we decided to keep paying for the gardener as mums garden was beautiful and we added the cost to the rent so hopefully we won’t have any problems.

Septimia Thu 16-Sep-21 09:56:27

Contact the diocese. If the vicarage is still owned by the Church then the diocese should be responsible, although the letting will no doubt be through an agent.

It should be easy enough to find out which diocese you're in, if don't already know, then find the webpage and you should be able to get some contact details.

Silverbridge Thu 16-Sep-21 09:55:01

Try the Environmental Health Department of your county council. If any of the following weeds are not being controlled, they can issue a notice to the landowner under the Weed Act 1959: Spear Thistle; Creeping Or Field Thistle; Curled Dock; Broad-Leaved Dock and Common Ragwort.

glammanana Thu 16-Sep-21 09:49:57

ExDancer Is the Vicarage let out to different tenants who have decided individually that they are not responsible for the upkeep of the garden.
Can your Local Council not help you at all finding out who you contact rather than your very unhelpful Parish Council.

JaneJudge Thu 16-Sep-21 09:49:28

Is the vicarage owned by the Church? Have you seen this?

ExDancer Thu 16-Sep-21 09:41:24

I live next to a village vicarage with a huge garden. It isn't used as a vicarage and the church leases it out to tenants, none of whom attend to the garden.
It is a huge garden, one that needs an army of gardeners to care for it and it's encroaching into mine, the sun shines across the gardens from my direction
Even though there's a good strong wall between us, raspberry canes shoot up in my lawn, brambles tumble over the wall and send suckers over into my space, ivy and other creepers I don't know the names of, invade along with that pink flower called, I think, Rose Bay willow herb, and weeds are everywhere.
And don't mention dandelions.
I have a fairly large garden too, which I manage to keep tidy on my own by sowing it down to lawn and getting someone to mow it for me. I'm 82. Most flowers are in tubs which I look after myself.
I complained to the Parish council who said it was not their problem, but sent in a couple of boys to mow the lawn, which resembled a hayfield, as a gesture of goodwill'.
Once.
No-one can tell me who is responsible.
As I sit in my tidy garden I watch the thistle and dandelion seeds float over in clouds and there's nothing I can do. I could weep.
Help!