Gransnet forums

AIBU

Calling adult sisters 'the girls'

(156 Posts)
Beswitched Fri 01-Oct-21 11:03:22

I have a friend who is single and so is her sister. She was telling me yesterday how they both absolutely HATE being referred to as 'the girls' by family members. They are both in their early sixties, have held down responsible jobs, bought their own houses, one lived abroad for several years, and they feel a bit insulted at being referred to as if they're two young siblings living at home.

I do sympathise. My neighbour has two sibling nieces who are single and in their late 40s. She too refers to them as 'the girls' 'and I've seen a rather irritated but resigned look being exchanged between them a couple of times when she's done this.

People seem to do this far less where one or both sisters are married. AIBU to think it's a bit demeaning to refer to middle aged women like this?

Their elderly parents I would forgive as we all remain children in our parents eyes I suppose smile.
But can other relatives not just refer to them as Helen and Grace or whatever?

Tooting29 Fri 08-Oct-21 16:59:31

I'm the youngest of 3 sisters and we were always referred to as the girls. Can't understand why this is a problem

Beswitched Thu 07-Oct-21 21:22:15

No 'old maid' and 'spinster' have thankfully dropped out of usage. They were so derogatory towards unmarried women, judging them and putting them down in a way that batchlor never did.

effalump Thu 07-Oct-21 17:53:47

They can call me whatever they want, except "old maid". I don't think that term has been used in decades though. One thing I hate is when I speak to a (very) young shop assistant and they go "Aw bless!". That sounds so demeaning to me. angry

Margomar Wed 06-Oct-21 17:07:06

My son calls his three older siblings the sisters” , as in “Will the sisters be coming?”

Smurf52 Tue 05-Oct-21 16:25:09

I’d love to be referred to as the girl. I’m 69 and still feel much younger!! grin

Lilylaundry Tue 05-Oct-21 15:59:17

I was the sixth child of ten. People used to refer to us as 'Oh, she's one of Williams'. We're weren't real children, we were just one of Williams. Our mother was never mentioned, she was just one who kept us clean, read to us, cooked for us, cleaned, washed, ironed, praised, chastised occasionally, encouraged us all to do our best. William barely spoke to us, he wasn't unkind in the general sense. Mum asked him to talk to us, he asked 'what about?'.

Lizbethann55 Tue 05-Oct-21 14:23:01

"The girls" from work are going out for a meal tonight. I can't because I am babysitting my DGD. I am not sure what else I would call them.

Lemontart Tue 05-Oct-21 09:06:57

I think it's ok for parents/ grandparents but I hate it in game shows when presenters talk about "the girls" v "the boys". I wish they would say Men and Women or Ladies and Gentlemen or use their names.

Magrithea Mon 04-Oct-21 16:42:03

I think they need to get over themselves!! I still refer to my 3 brothers (59,61 and 64) as 'the boys', have a 'girls day out' and refer to meeting up with friends (all of us now in our 60's) as meeting 'the girls'.

tinaf1 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:39:29

Saetana

I have no issue with "the girls" if its coming from another woman. I have serious issues if it is a man saying it as that is patronising.

How do you feel if it’s woman calling men boys ?

Saetana Mon 04-Oct-21 14:25:42

I have no issue with "the girls" if its coming from another woman. I have serious issues if it is a man saying it as that is patronising.

f77ms Mon 04-Oct-21 10:31:35

8 female cousins, sadly no males who meet up once a year for our cousins conference ?.! We call ourselves the girls, oldest 70 youngest 45. I don't think it's demeaning at all.

Daisydaisydaisy Mon 04-Oct-21 06:03:00

Imo..
Its terms of endearment...really no big deal.smile

Mamma66 Mon 04-Oct-21 03:11:10

My brothers were referred to as ‘the boys’ by our parents (inevitably I guess). Mum died in 2012 and we are almost at the first anniversary of Dad’s death. Even though my brothers are 58 and 53, Dad always referred to them as ‘the boys’. It amused my brothers greatly. Now that Dad has gone I expect they would love to be in the position to be called ‘the boys’ once more. I actually think it rather endearing within families. I still refer to my nephews and nieces as ‘the kids’ even though they range from 30 to 23.

BlueSky Mon 04-Oct-21 00:38:45

nanna8

Ooh I’d be delighted and flattered personally. Those were the days ….

Same here Nana8! wink

Beswitched Sun 03-Oct-21 20:50:26

Greciangirl

Surely, that isn’t offensive.

‘The Girls’.

Can’t see a problem with that myself.

I suppose the point is that some people find it offensive, when used by family members long after they have moved beyond normal 'girl hood' age.

Hadn't occurred to me that it might be offensive, but having heard from some of those in that situation that it can be, will take it on board.

kwest Sun 03-Oct-21 19:59:59

My friends and I have lunch once a month and refer to each other as the girls. We are all in our 70s and don't feel at all old.

M0nica Sun 03-Oct-21 19:11:54

Surely, context is all. When my parents referred to my sisters and I as the girls, it was with love and affection. When referring to us as a group, 'our daughters' sounds so formal, 'the children'? I prefer 'the girls'

In the wrong situation. In a shop or cafe, it is off-putting and patronising and should not be used, but, as I said, with so many words, context is all.

payens1 Sun 03-Oct-21 18:37:05

Slightly different, but during a hospital stay my husband was constantly called by staff "young man". He's obviously not young so what the **, and use his name.

Alis52 Sun 03-Oct-21 17:58:58

My group of university friends all refer to each other collectively as ‘the girls’. It’s how we first knew each other and affectionate - nothing demeaning about it. Rather nice we all see past the wrinkles and grey hair to who we still are! Not all of us are married either or have a partner.
But if you’re being referred to as ‘the girls’ without respect for you as grown women then that’s a rather different matter altogether.
It should be noted my boy and my girls will always remain just that and my husband and two brothers are always referred to as ‘the boys’. It doesn’t have to be a derogatory term at all.

Musicgirl Sun 03-Oct-21 17:57:46

As The Lancet has a headline referring to women as Bodies With Vaginas and elsewhere we are Cervix Havers, l much prefer girls.

tictacnana Sun 03-Oct-21 17:45:41

My two older sisters were always ‘the girls’, I was ‘the little one’ and my little brother was ‘our lad/son/ boy.’ It lasted until our parents died. No one minded. It’s just how it was .

Carolpaint Sun 03-Oct-21 17:30:29

‘Sted’ mentioned it before, if it is in a professional setting it is demeaning. In social situations and family it is just gentle and rather affectionate. What worries me is if it is a creeping in from USA about calling Afro-Americans girl or boy when they are adult? Do not mind at all myself but I am a Brit and too held high office.

Greciangirl Sun 03-Oct-21 17:26:22

Surely, that isn’t offensive.

‘The Girls’.

Can’t see a problem with that myself.

V3ra Sun 03-Oct-21 17:13:06

We had a builder working on our house who used to refer to my son (32 at the time) as "The Bab," which made me grimace. But it's a local colloquialism for the youngest member of the family, of whatever age. Just not one we've ever used, not being locals originally!

When I was a teenager people would refer to their parents as "the old man" and "the old lady," which I always felt was rather disrespectful ?