Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gardener takes my tools and equipment without asking

(69 Posts)
25Avalon Mon 01-Nov-21 12:04:28

Why do gardeners feel they can just hunt around and use any of your tools they feel like without even asking? Dh doesn’t like people using his tools so puts them away somewhere safe. I’m not so worried about my tools but I have a polypropylene wheelbarrow which is awaiting a new wheel. The tyre is flat and cannot be pumped up. So there they are dragging it around my large garden. AIBU to feel annoyed?

Tizliz Mon 01-Nov-21 12:09:07

I talk to my gardener (when he comes, but that is a different problem ), and ask him what he needs then get it out for him. Some tools he brings himself as he likes his own, but it is pointless him dragging his mower about when we have a better one. It’s good to talk!

Sago Mon 01-Nov-21 12:11:56

My cleaner was using my vacuum in other people’s homes.
She the purchased the same model herself and just took all my Hoover bags!

eazybee Mon 01-Nov-21 12:12:30

Would you expect cleaners to provide their own mop and bucket, hoover and cleaning materials? I now some of the larger companies come fully equipped, but they charge for it too?
Transport is the problem, I would imagine.

Calmlocket Mon 01-Nov-21 12:13:28

I dont get why you are just watching them and geting annoyed, I presume your paying for the gardeners so tell them to leave the barrow where it is as its awaiting repair!

kittylester Mon 01-Nov-21 12:18:02

Our gardener uses our tools and her own tools and will ask to borrow stuff if it will help on another garden. And it works the other way.

Our cleaner brings all her own stuff everytime. I am happy with both ways.

Bodach Mon 01-Nov-21 12:22:37

Calmlocket

I dont get why you are just watching them and geting annoyed, I presume your paying for the gardeners so tell them to leave the barrow where it is as its awaiting repair!

Absolutely right. Your garden; your barrow; your rules.

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Nov-21 12:25:05

Why don’t you speak to them instead of getting cross?

25Avalon Mon 01-Nov-21 12:35:54

It’s blatantly obvious it needs repair. It will hardly move!
I haven’t gone outside to tell them as it’s absolutely pi**ing down and I would get drenched. Plus I don’t want to seem a mean curmudgeonly person. I am not cross but annoyed they don’t ask. I can live with it but I don’t like them searching and helping themselves to whatever.

I take the point about the cleaner. I would expect them to use my vacuum for example. I’d prefer it then it would only have my dirt. Outside in the garden is a bit different.

ExDancer Mon 01-Nov-21 12:42:01

Is he using your husband's tools for other people, or is he just using them in your garden? If your DH doesn't want them used by the gardener at all - well either say so or find a safer 'safe place'.
If he's taking them from your property and using them elsewhere, that's not on and you must tell him so.

Riverwalk Mon 01-Nov-21 12:48:10

Apart from the wheelbarrow are we talking expensive power tools here - or hoe's, rakes, etc?

Unless I'm missing something, he's using your tools to attend to your garden, so what's the problem?

sodapop Mon 01-Nov-21 13:00:12

That's what I thought Riverwalk I don't see a problem either.

Kim19 Mon 01-Nov-21 13:07:58

Presumably you discussed tool usage at time of entering into contract? You can't speak to them as you'd get wet??? Seems to me you need a whole new contract with a new set of gardeners and establish your requirements right from the outset. Wow!

25Avalon Mon 01-Nov-21 13:24:41

Dh’s tools are not an issue as he puts them away safe. Gardeners here are very difficult to find and they all want £20 per hour. This guy set up in the summer at £15 and I grabbed him to cut the grass as I had no one else. Now he has employed another guy and charges £30 an hour for the 2 of them.

If I have the builders in they don’t use my tools or wheelbarrows so why do gardeners do it?

M0nica Mon 01-Nov-21 13:24:56

Jaxjacky I have lost count of the number of times I have suggested to someon on a thread, 'try speaking to someone tell them what you want, do not want, what information is needed etc.' Yesterday someone was outraged I had hurt a sensibility she had never mentioned she had before.

MaizieD Mon 01-Nov-21 13:30:47

If I have the builders in they don’t use my tools or wheelbarrows so why do gardeners do it?

My builder (who is utterly brilliant and has done loads of work for us and our friends) has helped himself to a wheelbarrow or bucket on occasion, but I forgive him because he's so good)

Why don't you put on a raincoat and hat, or take an umbrella, and go and talk to him?

Riverwalk Mon 01-Nov-21 13:31:31

This guy set up in the summer at £15 and I grabbed him to cut the grass as I had no one else. Now he has employed another guy and charges £30 an hour for the 2 of them.

So it's still £15 per hour (man hours)?

Teacheranne Mon 01-Nov-21 13:33:52

Why not put a lock on your shed or garage door, wherever you store your gardening equipment? Than they would need to ask first when they get the key.

Personally I think it’s a bit rude and condescending to say you don’t want to go out to speak to the men because you will get wet, I guess you don’t mind that they are getting wet? At least they are prepared to work in the pouring rain.

Lucca Mon 01-Nov-21 13:35:40

I am bemused. Gardener is there to garden, using garden equipment so unless you have told him he must bring all his own stuff why shouldn’t he use what is there ?

Gwyneth Mon 01-Nov-21 13:59:30

Me too Lucca. Seems very strange. If I had a gardener I would expect he/she to use the tools in situ. Obviously I would expect them not to be removed. If there was a particular tool that I didn’t want used I would put it safely away or ask the gardener not to use it.

25Avalon Mon 01-Nov-21 14:18:42

The thing is I didn’t mention the wheelbarrow as I didn’t think anyone would take it with a flat tyre. When they did I was not peeved enough to go out in the pouring down rain. It was their choice to garden in the rain which a lot of gardeners do to get the money. I wouldn’t have minded if they hadn’t come.

Anyway the general consensus on here seems it is quite reasonable for gardeners to take your tools and equipment and use them without asking, and IABU to mind when they do.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 01-Nov-21 15:40:30

We don't have a gardener but if we did I don't see why they shouldn't use our gardening tools. That's what they're there for, to do our garden. If someone is just starting up a gardening business I imagine it would cost them quite a bit to buy all their own equipment. And you're getting it done for 75% of the going rate!

BlueBelle Mon 01-Nov-21 15:54:59

I don’t have a gardener but if I did I would expect them to use my tools and put them back where they got them from same if you have a cleaner

MerylStreep Mon 01-Nov-21 16:03:59

When I started doing my 2 gardening jobs I took all my own tools but both customers said oh no, you don’t have to bring all that But I still take all my small tools and my loppers and broom.

Elizabeth27 Mon 01-Nov-21 16:51:56

If you don not say anything how can he know it is a problem.