Gransnet forums

AIBU

Facebook users who document their wonderful lives.

(119 Posts)
Quizzer Wed 03-Nov-21 20:38:39

One of my Facebook “friends” posts at least daily with news and pictures of her culinary successes. Also she posts all her charitable works, her husband’s wonderful gifts and treats (I think he is creepy!).
However she is one of the first to post nasty criticism about others.
I don’t follow her any more, but can’t “unfriend” her as I have to work with her.
Is she just needy, wanting all the ‘likes’ or does she genuinely think that her friends - some 400 of them - are interested in her daily menu?

JaneJudge Thu 04-Nov-21 08:13:56

I try not to let what other people post bother me too much. I actually like looking at people's photos too smile maybe I am strange? I can imagine for some people going through difficult times it can be quite challenging though. Do whatever makes you feel better and try not to think about it too much.

Grannynannywanny Thu 04-Nov-21 08:24:57

This gave me a chuckle a few weeks ago when Facebook was down for a few hours ?

MerylStreep Thu 04-Nov-21 08:36:43

Grannynannywanny

This gave me a chuckle a few weeks ago when Facebook was down for a few hours ?

Love it ?

AGAA4 Thu 04-Nov-21 08:44:43

I signed up to Facebook years ago. Decided very quickly this was not for me.

Elegran Thu 04-Nov-21 08:44:55

You can block her posts without unfriending her, and without her being aware that you no lnger see every golden word she writes.

PinkCosmos Thu 04-Nov-21 08:51:09

I look on FB but don't post. It is usually funny pages like 'Things with Faces' and interior design/gardening stuff

We have friends who post almost every day. We just don't get it.

Our issue was that they posted photographs on FB with me and my DH on them. This was without our knowledge and was after we had been out with them for a walk, meal etc.. They take photos constantly but we didn't realise that they were all going on FB. They even posted dozens of photos from my DH's birthday party - and named names. This was all a couple of years ago now.

When we found out, we had a word with them and said that we didn't want to be plastered all over FB. In fairness, since then they haven't put us on FB or mentioned us.

Personally, I think it is quite sad that people feel the need to put pictures of their dog, their glass of beer etc on FB almost every day.

PinkCosmos Thu 04-Nov-21 08:55:02

FB is good for holiday info. I joined a couple of groups which discussed specific holiday destinations and gave recommendations. I found it very useful.

Mary10 Thu 04-Nov-21 09:47:05

I enjoy looking through Facebook and keeping in touch with my lovely ex colleagues now that I'm retired. I have found it especially useful during lockdown when it was impossible to get together with people.
I tend to ignore and scroll past posts that I do not wish to comment on. It is up to the person posting what they
choose to post and as someone has already said, we often do not know what is going on in someone's life to make then feel the need to post what to others seems mundane.
I hate it when Facebook is used as a source of gossip though. I have a family member who is constantly gossiping about what people have posted and I find that so sad to be honest. You don't like it, then ignore it!
Like OP, I have unfollowed people whose posts I find offensive. I have also unfriended and even blocked people who I feel post entirely inappropriate posts on social media that I have no wish to see. If others are happy to, however, then that's up to them. How you use (or not as the case may be) social media, is entirely up to the individual both in what they choose to post and what they choose to read.

Marmight Thu 04-Nov-21 10:11:21

I use FB for many reasons - to keep up with friends & family, for information about local events, exhibitions & much more. Sometimes I post a lot, sometimes not at all. I live on my own and in a way, particularly recently, FB has been almost a lifeline. Yes, it’s sad that people post the minutiae of their lives, but who knows what problems or insecurities they have? I’m ‘guilty’ of occasionally posting photos of amazing food I’ve eaten and have shared my delight. Why not? It’s simple, if you don’t like it then don’t use or read it! The same reason I often hang back from Gransnet. I’d rather not get involved in unpleasant posts/posters, so avoid them. There’s always the proverbial ‘off’ button. Each to her/his ownwink

Baggs Thu 04-Nov-21 10:21:04

Quizzer

One of my Facebook “friends” posts at least daily with news and pictures of her culinary successes. Also she posts all her charitable works, her husband’s wonderful gifts and treats (I think he is creepy!).
However she is one of the first to post nasty criticism about others.
I don’t follow her any more, but can’t “unfriend” her as I have to work with her.
Is she just needy, wanting all the ‘likes’ or does she genuinely think that her friends - some 400 of them - are interested in her daily menu?

If you have unfollowed her on FB, what's your problem? Unfollowing someone means you don't see their posts.

How do you even know how many FB friends she has (I mean why have you looked that up?)? Seems to me you're the one with a problem, not her.

SuzieHi Thu 04-Nov-21 10:33:58

I look at Facebook every day & enjoy seeing where friends are & what they’re doing! Even like some of the advertising. Enjoy posts from various groups I’ve joined.
Just like gransnet really - a social networking site. Difference is you can ask for anonymous help on here.
Also, have one friend in particular who posts every day- I regard it as ‘showing off/ attention seeking’. Tend to ignore most of her posts. I know her life is not all roses!! She’s always trying to make herself feel better & look good She’s thick skinned - aka lacking emotional intelligence?
Another friend posts 2 x a day- as does her husband. They even like & comment on each other’s posts!
My advice is -
just scroll past anything you don’t enjoy. Also make sure you go into Facebook settings to make your pages etc private. Then you won’t get random friend requests.

VioletSky Thu 04-Nov-21 10:41:55

I've always seen Facebook as a bit of a scrapbook of memories and pictures..

Some people just really like scrapbooking I guess.

Much better than the days when someone got out 3 photo albums of their holiday and you had to smile and coo at "here is us at {insert location}. You can just scroll past now after the first picture lol

Calistemon Thu 04-Nov-21 10:50:41

VioletSky

I've always seen Facebook as a bit of a scrapbook of memories and pictures..

Some people just really like scrapbooking I guess.

Much better than the days when someone got out 3 photo albums of their holiday and you had to smile and coo at "here is us at {insert location}. You can just scroll past now after the first picture lol

That reminded me of when we used to visit some of DH's older relatives and his uncle would get out his projector, the lights would go out out and we'd have a jolly evening watching slide shows of their holidays.

Calistemon Thu 04-Nov-21 10:51:43

out out

We were out rather than out out ?

Blossoming Thu 04-Nov-21 10:58:32

Chewbacca

^I'm old enough to have eaten a meal, that hasn't been photographed first.^

Funnily enough I was thinking the very same thing! There's a chap on our local Facebook who uploads a photograph of his evening meal every single day. Why would anyone feel the need to do that? confused

I have a friend who does this. Like me, he has a brain injury. His memory was severely affected. He posts pictures of his meals so he knows he’s remembered to eat.

Kate1949 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:02:23

I'm not on FB but some of my family are. Don't be fooled by what people post. Someone I know was telling me what a fabulous life a colleague had according to FB, and how she felt envious. He posted pictures of his lovely, perfect children, glamorous wife, fantastic holidays. Sadly he took his own life so things must have been far from perfect.

nanna8 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:14:19

It is what it is and what you make of it is up to you I guess. Good for keeping I. Touch with very distant relatives and friends

MaggieMay69 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:24:19

I love fb for the competitions lol, Look maybe she's lonely, maybe she's not as happy as you think and this is her way of living a fantasy life, you can unfollow, you can mute, so leave her be! One mans meat is another mans poison, who is she hurting?
Saying she might upset others who don't lead such an exiting life, or that others with disabilities might be jealous is daft...we all have our crosses to bear and we make our way round them as best we can.
Someone elses fb post isn't going to make a blind bit of difference, unless it actually forces people to take a good long look at their lives and ask 'Am I only hating this because maybe I want to be that happy?' x

Missiseff Thu 04-Nov-21 11:29:37

Wow. In the great scheme of things, given the tragedies happening every day, is this really an issue? Are any of us so perfect that we have the right to critisize others? Anyone can post whatever they want, we're all individuals. Each to their own. You say you've unfollowed her. That's your perogative. Bleating about it to total strangers on another site such as this says more about you than her.

Paperbackwriter Thu 04-Nov-21 11:32:16

DanniRae

I joined Facebook and straight away I got 'friends requests' from men I didn't even know shock I then removed myself from it! ^Definitely not for me!^

You don't have to take any notice of those!
I like Facebook and I can keep up with what my daughters are doing and enjoy photos. (they live 250 miles away). Really, you decide what you want from it and ignore or block the rest. It's all your own choice.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:32:34

I love facebook, but I rarely post anything about myself, who'd want to know about my mundane life? I never say i'm away from home - that leaves a security problem. Your friend is leading a sad life and trying to spice it up on facebook!

icanhandthemback Thu 04-Nov-21 11:32:39

Well said, MaggieMay69.

GoldenAge Thu 04-Nov-21 11:32:43

Quizzer - you don't need to unfriend your 'friend' to not have her unwanted posts coming across your facebook - simply click on the three dots to the top right of her next post and you will get a drop down menu asking if you want to snooze that person for 30 days, or indeed giving you some other options. If you snooze her you won't see anything and at the end of the 30 day period when she starts popping up again you can repeat the action. But really, do you want this person as a friend - she sounds to be a little narcisstic - full of self-promotion and criticism for others.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 04-Nov-21 11:35:55

I think there are two kinds of people in this world, those who adore facebook and those who only use it to trace old schoolfriends or keep in touch with a very few friends.

I personally do not understand why schoolfriends of my great-nephews send me requests to be friends on Facebook, and I would never dream of becoming friends with a child whose parents I did not know , either on the Internet or in real life.

I have always assumed, unkindly perhaps, that those who post photos of their baking, holidays etc. are people with far too little to do, or who for reasons such as ill health cannot get out and about.

Unkind of me? Probably!

GrammarGrandma Thu 04-Nov-21 11:36:23

I am on and off Facebook all day. Love it. But lately all my posts are to a group I'm in about a member who has died. I think Instagram is the place for your friend's meal photos.