Gransnet forums

AIBU

Facebook users who document their wonderful lives.

(119 Posts)
Quizzer Wed 03-Nov-21 20:38:39

One of my Facebook “friends” posts at least daily with news and pictures of her culinary successes. Also she posts all her charitable works, her husband’s wonderful gifts and treats (I think he is creepy!).
However she is one of the first to post nasty criticism about others.
I don’t follow her any more, but can’t “unfriend” her as I have to work with her.
Is she just needy, wanting all the ‘likes’ or does she genuinely think that her friends - some 400 of them - are interested in her daily menu?

DC64 Thu 04-Nov-21 13:05:30

Gave up on Facebook a couple of years ago as it was getting ridiculous and annoying! It’s not as popular as it was when it started. Far too intrusive these days - and trying to take over the world with their new META !!!
- as for your post you should look up about the theory of ‘Projection’ - Projection is a defense mechanism that involves taking our own unacceptable qualities or feelings and ascribing them to other people.
I think a lot of keyboard warriors have issues like these. Bambi’s mum had the right idea - if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all.

MayBee70 Thu 04-Nov-21 13:07:41

I often post something just so I can refer back to it. An advert popped up for a ring the other day. I don’t wear rings these days but it was so gorgeous I shared it in my page so I didn’t lose the advert. I know I should have changed the settings to me only but couldn’t be bothered.

Tina1957 Thu 04-Nov-21 13:23:23

Have never used Facebook and never will,have better things to do with my life.

MarilynneT33 Thu 04-Nov-21 13:23:45

I have several people on my FB that post nearly everyday with stuff like flowers from hubby and meals they've made etc. My DH has two nieces. One post's pics of her children nearly every day. I don't like the idea of putting pics of children for all to see especially when they are only half dressed. The other sadly had to have a termination a few months ago. It was a sad thing as it was discovered the baby was badly deformed and wouldn't have lived long. The thing is now she is posting stuff all the time about it. My BIL and his wife had a tattoo each with the baby's name and posted the pic on FB along with a little shrine in the corner of their lounge. My SIL didn't attend a funeral recently because the daughter was having a bad day but the daughter went to a party a night or two later. I sympathise with the situation but must people plaster it all over FB all the time.
Another irritating one is when someone's dog is having a birthday.....Rover is 1 year old today. Then people post endlessly Happy Birthday Rover. Can dog's read FB posts???

Baggs Thu 04-Nov-21 13:27:26

Better things than connecting with people one was at school with and hadn't kept in touch with? Better things than hearing from a university student who was 25 when I knew him 25 years ago (I was a uni librarian at the time and a good deal older) that he and his partner had a baby boy (their first) after all this time?

I doubt it.

Baggs Thu 04-Nov-21 13:29:08

MarilynneT33

I have several people on my FB that post nearly everyday with stuff like flowers from hubby and meals they've made etc. My DH has two nieces. One post's pics of her children nearly every day. I don't like the idea of putting pics of children for all to see especially when they are only half dressed. The other sadly had to have a termination a few months ago. It was a sad thing as it was discovered the baby was badly deformed and wouldn't have lived long. The thing is now she is posting stuff all the time about it. My BIL and his wife had a tattoo each with the baby's name and posted the pic on FB along with a little shrine in the corner of their lounge. My SIL didn't attend a funeral recently because the daughter was having a bad day but the daughter went to a party a night or two later. I sympathise with the situation but must people plaster it all over FB all the time.
Another irritating one is when someone's dog is having a birthday.....Rover is 1 year old today. Then people post endlessly Happy Birthday Rover. Can dog's read FB posts???

If you are irritated unfollow them.

Nannapat1 Thu 04-Nov-21 13:31:56

I agree that people are not very likely to post the bad stuff ( you can use your 'story' for that as it vanishes fairly quickly ?) and that maybe she posts for her own record as much as anything else.
I post a picture plus journal entry to a different social media site which is based on the photography really and I share it on FB. Some friends don't look at all, some just look at the photo and some follow the link and read the journal. Of course it's lovely when one's photos are admired, but honestly the journal is for me my family and close friends and has been a means of touching base with them during the past 18 months particularly. I value the record of time passing and have done especially since the pandemic came along with that first lockdown.
My advice? If you don't like, don't look!

2mason16 Thu 04-Nov-21 14:25:30

Well I'll admit I enjoy it! On certain groups of our town, getting in touch with old school friends with class photos. Another group of crafters sharing 'makes'.
Friends from days past when DH played cricket. Which also created reunions. I'm happy to keep in touch via Facebook!

inishowen Thu 04-Nov-21 14:47:29

My family and friends rarely post on Facebook. I use it to follow my interests, gardening, knitting, books, frugal tips. I belong to these groups and love it.

ninathenana Thu 04-Nov-21 15:14:19

It's useful for what's happening locally, traffic news and posts from our local councillor.
I don't post much but I like to read the various groups such as the local history one. Some fascinating stuff on there

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 04-Nov-21 15:37:18

I find Facebook useful for things like a local history group I follow, charity motorcycle rides I take part in, and for some of the wicked humour which is posted!

However, I really don't get why people put pictures of their meals on there - who cares what they're eating?

eazybee Thu 04-Nov-21 15:38:28

I had friends who used facebook to check on what their daughters were doing by using false names. I found that rather unpleasant; why would you do that?
All three daughters recognised their mothers pretty quickly and blocked them.

crazyH Thu 04-Nov-21 15:44:12

FB has allowed me to connect with people I went to primary school with. All of us left our home town to move to far off lands and this is the only way to see their lives, their families. I love FB

sazz1 Thu 04-Nov-21 16:24:27

One of my DDs friends posts loads of soppy romantic pics and comments about her husband on FB. Also wonderful things about her eldest daughter.
The truth is she has had many arguments and break ups with DH and considered seriously divorcing him. The DD she has never bonded with, and can't wait for her to leave home and sever all contact. She really doesn't want her and sadly never has.
FB just gives people an illusion of people's perfect lives. All that glitters is not gold.
I use FB mainly to help people. Eg I post lost dogs, road closures, flooded areas, missing people, charity appeals, amusing jokes etc etc. It also helps me keep in touch with family.

GrauntyHelen Thu 04-Nov-21 16:25:01

And here you are on another social media site bitching about your colleague !

Ginpin Thu 04-Nov-21 16:57:21

I use FB.

Posted a photo of us, our 3 girls and husbands, our then 4 grandchildren all in Lapland 3 years ago.

Such a wonderful holiday.

Other events too, like the weddings of our daughters and the births of our grandchildren .

Have a new baby grandaughter, lots of black hair ( her just 2 yr old sister is blond), 9lb and just 10 days old ! smile Just in case you are interested! grin

BUT, other people's food is so boring !!! roastchicken

Ginpin Thu 04-Nov-21 17:03:33

Also, my FB picture is just an afternoon picture, many hours since I had combed my hair in the morning ( I don't wear make up) on holiday, with eldest grandaughter.
Just captured the moment of happiness at a miniture pony centre.
Just love that photo because I remember what a happy day / holiday it was, all of us camping together. {smile}

LinkyPinky Thu 04-Nov-21 17:27:24

DanniRae

I joined Facebook and straight away I got 'friends requests' from men I didn't even know shock I then removed myself from it! ^Definitely not for me!^

Do you play’Words with Friends, DanniRae? It’s similar to Scrabble and I do love it, but there’s a chat function, and my goodness, such sad, sad men trying to flirt. I suppose I should feel sorry for them though.

Shropshirelass Thu 04-Nov-21 17:44:55

I use FB for interest. I don’t post personal information and only have a handful of friends who are people I have known for years. I don’t want or need hundreds of friends or likes. As for meals, before FB we didn’t go round to our friends with photos of everything we cooked did we? Strange old needy world we live in.

Galaxy Thu 04-Nov-21 18:01:34

But there are threads every few days on here about what people are having for dinner.

sazz1 Thu 04-Nov-21 18:06:23

GrauntyHelen

And here you are on another social media site bitching about your colleague !

Was this for me? The person isn't my colleague!!

Zoejory Thu 04-Nov-21 18:15:02

Why do people get FB accounts and then complain if they end up getting friend requests?

You have to make your profile private. It's so easy. Then nobody can contact you.

Tusue Thu 04-Nov-21 18:16:50

I’ve never done Facebook because it’s a hiding to nothing,sorry but WHY do people want to let the world know what they are eating,where they are etc.
I am a nurse and was talking to a young lad recently who was suffering with poor mental health,he said to me “why is my life not as good as everybody else’s like on Facebook ?”
I said facebooks NOT real life,they don’t post when they are having a crap day,arguing ,worrying about cash etc ,kids or family driving them mad,they post only good things.
Life’s just not like that -sorry Facebook fans !

Zoejory Thu 04-Nov-21 18:20:52

Life’s just not like that -sorry Facebook fans !

Do you believe that people who use and enjoy FB are all believing everything they see?

As others have mentioned, there are brilliant groups on FB for people with different interests. And the amount of lost pets that get found thanks to FB is heart warming.

And it's very unusual for young lads or lasses to be on FB these days. It's definitely the older generation who use it now.

Juliet27 Thu 04-Nov-21 18:21:45

DanniRae

I joined Facebook and straight away I got 'friends requests' from men I didn't even know shock I then removed myself from it! ^Definitely not for me!^

Ditto DanniRae