Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thoughts please ...

(119 Posts)
b1zzle Fri 05-Nov-21 12:17:10

During a discussion on a recent Sunday morning programme, it was suggested that the fuel allowance should be taken away from pensioners and given instead to those suffering hardship as a result of the recent Universal Credit debacle ,,,

MissAdventure Fri 05-Nov-21 17:04:48

All the people I know who get it do use it for heating.
I live in a deprived area.

Iam64 Fri 05-Nov-21 17:59:39

It shouldn’t be either or. The govt should have kept the £20 upgrade on universal credit.
Pensioners should all get the £100 fuel allowance. Means testing it would cost more than would be saved. Mine goes to our local charity that helps those in need

rafichagran Fri 05-Nov-21 18:20:08

I do not get WFA, as I am not of pensionable age yet,my partner gets it. I will accept and use the money when I am eligible I definatly against vouchers, I think its demeaning. I can budget my own finances.

Pammie1 Fri 05-Nov-21 18:57:17

BlueBelle

*The fuel allowance is only given to pensioners who qualify for pension credit, and that includes those who are sick/disabled as well as elderly*
Even if you do take the word ‘only’ out it’s still incorrect Pammie it is given to everyone of pension age not just those who qualify for Pension Credit you can be fit well not disabled and have a decent pension but you still get the annual allowance

@BlueBelle. I know it’s given to everyone of pensionable age but my point was that that includes the most vulnerable, including those who are sick, disabled and on pension credit. The original question was whether the allowance should be removed from ALL pensioners in order to give to those who had lost the UC update, and I was trying to point out that as well as giving the winter fuel payment to affluent pensioners, it goes to those who would be put into hardship if they lost it - what’s the point of that ? You’re just swapping one thing for another and not really helping anyone. I didn’t intend to put ‘only’ in the text - wasn’t paying attention to auto correct, but that was what I meant. Jut did it the long way round !!

Forsythia Fri 05-Nov-21 21:29:16

We get the winter fuel payment and it’s used for our energy bills. We’ve worked all our lives, never claimed a single benefit, I’m glad we get it.

Jaxjacky Fri 05-Nov-21 22:10:33

My first year of getting it too Visgirl1 £100 each going to my two children, they need it more than we do.

Hetty58 Fri 05-Nov-21 22:32:38

As others have said, it would cost a lot to means test - let alone check for fraud - so it's sensible to just pay it to all pensioners. Those who don't need it can give it to charity. I do think the Christmas bonus should be dropped, though. £10 is irrelevant, really - and somewhat insulting.

Ali08 Sat 06-Nov-21 10:50:21

I was so confused, I thought OP meant fuel allowance for vehicles!! ??

nadateturbe Sat 06-Nov-21 10:53:46

Mine goes to my husband towards the higher winter fuel costs.

Smileless2012 Sat 06-Nov-21 11:01:49

I always thought it should be means tested but as has already been said, it would be very expensive to do so so best left as it is.

FlexibleFriend Sat 06-Nov-21 11:28:26

I get £200 winter fuel allowance and spend it on my energy usage which seems to be quite high even though the heating is rarely on. So no I wouldn't want it removed.

Oldwoman70 Sat 06-Nov-21 12:15:56

I would be against it being paid in vouchers because (a) it is demeaning and (b) it would mean those not in need of it couldn't donate it to charity.

I wonder if those suggesting it be paid in vouchers would also want UC and other benefits paid in vouchers

Caro57 Sun 07-Nov-21 10:38:25

I have a British friend who lives he Portugal and they get it!! - the system really needs sorting

Calmlocket Sun 07-Nov-21 10:44:36

Caro57

I have a British friend who lives he Portugal and they get it!! - the system really needs sorting

I thought they stopped expats from recieving this allowance years ago!

Daisymae Sun 07-Nov-21 10:51:01

It should go to those in most need. So I would not have a problem with it.

Nannan2 Sun 07-Nov-21 11:05:23

I keep saying that even though i think (most) pensioners should be entitled to this extra heating allowance money, BUT SO SHOULD THOSE ON OTHER BENEFITS AS WELL- like ESA or PIP- or DLA benefits- people who clearly have some disabilities and perhaps therefore cannot move around easily to get warmed up, or have circulation problems- they need extra heating too, not only pensioners, all other benefits get is a paltry £25 if its deemed cold enough by gov't to be necessary! This is outrageous really- No offence, but OAP's are entitled to that as well, on top and its not fair on disabled folk.yes, they can apply for warm home discount, but its not guaranteed, and the £140 on that goes nowhere now fuel costs more(oh yes, and the OAP's are INSTANTLY entitled to that too- on top of all the other extra they get for heating! (They used to get much more, too, used to be £400- then £300 for this winter fuel allowance) I'm not saying they shouldn't have it- I'm just saying that people on disability payments should get it AS WELL! AND for families with children under 5 too! Its not fair to automatically get a lions share of the 'heating allowances' just because you're an old person! -and yes, instead of the Cash they should get it added to their fuel meters, or a fuel voucher, so it doesn't get spent on other things.That should be same for everyone.

Coco51 Sun 07-Nov-21 11:06:20

Pammie1

The fuel allowance is only given to pensioners who qualify for pension credit, and that includes those who are sick/disabled as well as elderly, so removing the WFA from them in order to give to UC claimants is pointless as it just moves the hardship from one group to another.

The winter fuel allowance is not dependent on receipt of pension credit, unless there has recently been a change in eligibility. My partner and I receive it every year

henetha Sun 07-Nov-21 11:10:49

The recent reduction in Universal Credit was disgraceful and I wish they would restore it, and more.
But to many pensioners, including me, the winter fuel allowance is vital.

bear1 Sun 07-Nov-21 11:12:13

makes me so angry that pensioners are seen as being wealthy, i am not i live on my state pension and small amount of savings the winter allowence should pay my winter fuel bill but with the price of fuel going up so much if its taken away and i will have to juggle eating or being warm but i do not think those living abroad should get it or those who are wealthy they dont need it and the savings made would give those in real need maybe a bit more of an allowence

Elvis58 Sun 07-Nov-21 11:13:50

The system is wrong as demonstrated on this thread.
It should be means tested not given out enmasse.
Giving it to charity or children is obscene considering a lot of elderly cannot afford to eat and heat their homes.lf you dont need it give it back to the Government where it can be used for those that do need it!
I even know someone who buys their christmas presents with it and looks on it as a perk!

geeljay Sun 07-Nov-21 11:13:51

I agree with Calmlocket and others. The payment should be in a form that it only payable to an energy supplier..

Alis52 Sun 07-Nov-21 11:14:08

My (Tory voting) parents don’t need any government support and object to receiving the fuel allowance when so many people are financially struggling. They’ve been donating their allowance in full to a suitable charity eg local food bank, homeless centre for years.

Nannan2 Sun 07-Nov-21 11:20:54

Oldwoman70- its NOT demeaning at all- if you truly needed the extra for heating you wouldn't care HOW you got it- so long as you got it! Some folk already get the warm home discount in a voucher simply because they've not got a smart meter- so it can't automatically be added to their fuel meter- the shops don't care, so its not 'demeaning' at all! And no folk can't have their UC or other benefits paid as a voucher as it includes rent payments etc now as well- they used to- it was called a 'giro cheque' remember, and folk collected it at post office, were given cash in exchange, (like pensioners had a pension book, remember the old days?)till gov't changed all that! Good grief some folk are wanting to back to the dark ages just because they could not accept a fuel voucher? if you genuinely were desperate and in need of it to heat your home adequately then you would NOT care about getting it as a voucher, just so long as you got it somehow?

Gabrielle56 Sun 07-Nov-21 11:23:46

My parents used to donate all their "bonuses" to the church as they were comfortable with 2 occupational pensions as well as state pension.. if more 'well off' people did similar the wealth could be shared at grassroots level.direct donation to our own local food banks/salvation army/homeless groups would ensure some middle manager didn't get their grubby hands on it too! Or maybe spend on a hamper of food for food bank at Christmas time? I'm going to .(DH said " ooh good idea, then we can go to food bank and get it all back for free!)????

Gabrielle56 Sun 07-Nov-21 11:24:14

Just because they give you the money , it doesn't mean you have to keep it!!!