Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sitting on my own at theatre

(124 Posts)
Beswitched Sun 07-Nov-21 10:40:54

I don't know if I'm being a bit childish here.
I arranged to go to the theatre with 3 friends on Friday. As we were at the theatre door I realised I'd left my covid certificate in the car. I told the others to go on in while I ran back to get it. When I arrived back in, a person we know, who had come on her own, was sitting in my seat.

I assumed she'd just come over to say hello, but when the play was about to start she said 'oh the other seat is just back there' pointing to a seat several rows behind. Not only was it not as good a seat as the ones I'd booked (although same price) but it also meant I was sat on my own. However the lights were going down so I just went quickly to the seat.

There were three short plays being shown with a 5 minute interval in between and I could see them chatting away during those intervals while I was just sitting there on my own.

At the end this woman called over to me "we're going for a quick drink in the bar, do you want to come?".
The other two made an apologetic face behind her back and one of them texted me yesterday.

AIBU to feel this woman was cheeky and rude in her behaviour.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 12-Nov-21 18:30:52

Pepper59

That's why I never get too involved with neighbours. Your friend will never get rid off her now and she better be prepared to hear all the future 'woes'. Good fences make good neighbours is a very true saying. My neighbour moved, the neighbour who moved in unfortunately is exactly the same. Tells all her life story to anyone who will listen. I avoid her as much as possible. At times it's like being a prisoner in your own home. Im convinced she watches for me going out, it's too often to be coincidence. It's like Im pounced on and can't stand it. These people have no self awareness and never seem to realise we all have our problems.

HaHa..yes. This was 25 years ago, but you’re right, she could still be living next door?. I have run into this friend on a few occasions, but never thought to ask. I will next time?

MissAdventure Fri 12-Nov-21 16:43:10

You'd think my psychic powers would have told me I was on the wrong thread blush

MissAdventure Fri 12-Nov-21 16:41:51

That'll be £45 please.
Thank you!

MissAdventure Fri 12-Nov-21 16:39:42

I wonder how many people could "take" my reading.
You have been feeling a bit down lately, and the minor health niggles you've had haven't helped, however you are now getting them sorted out.
You've had some worries too, about a younger family member - they are a little more 'fragile', and this tends to play on your mind.
Don't worry though, they will be fine.
I'm getting an older lady who is already in spirit.
She has her hair pulled back in a bun, and was small in stature?
She is always with you; she was a no nonsense kind of woman who had quite a hard life...
Am I getting a john? Jim?
He has a little dog with him, and I think he passed over with heart problems...

Pepper59 Fri 12-Nov-21 16:32:19

That's why I never get too involved with neighbours. Your friend will never get rid off her now and she better be prepared to hear all the future 'woes'. Good fences make good neighbours is a very true saying. My neighbour moved, the neighbour who moved in unfortunately is exactly the same. Tells all her life story to anyone who will listen. I avoid her as much as possible. At times it's like being a prisoner in your own home. Im convinced she watches for me going out, it's too often to be coincidence. It's like Im pounced on and can't stand it. These people have no self awareness and never seem to realise we all have our problems.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 12-Nov-21 15:46:37

I would definitely have made sure she moved...curtain or no curtain. More entertainment for the audience I say!

However, I do think most people are more like you...and your friends. You feel embarrassed and awkward, and in the heat of the moment, don’t know what to do.

It reminded me of a time a friend invited me for lunch, when my last child started school. She wanted to ease me into the day.

When I got there....her neighbour, who’d only been there about a week I think...was unloading all her tales of woe about her husband, who she’d just found out was cheating on her.

She sat there...chain smoking and crying, with absolutely no regard for me or my friend. My friend had told her I was coming, and would speak to her after I left. She shouldn’t have let her in really, but she was too nice, and felt compelled.

In the end, I got up and said I was leaving. I told this neighbour I felt sad for her, but she shouldn’t have monopolised our time together. She was just selfish.

Later on, my friend phoned to apologise, and explained she just felt awkward, didn’t want to offend this woman.

I was just left feeling she was happy to offend me. I didn’t see her much after that. No idea what happened to the neighbour.

Katie59 Fri 12-Nov-21 15:21:06

Very rude and unacceptable

A heads up for me!
We are going to the theatre tonight, so checked up, no we don't need a Covid Pass

DanniRae Fri 12-Nov-21 13:42:06

.......And ask her for a 'double'!!!

Ali08 Fri 12-Nov-21 13:04:12

I'd have accepted her invite for drinks and happily accepted she pay for them!

Beswitched Thu 11-Nov-21 08:07:30

Any chance you could stop turning the thread into an anti vax rant?

Lynderella2 Wed 10-Nov-21 22:25:19

Who would have believed we woukd actually be forst into segregation again ..you could not make this up ..awful ..and the CURRUPT government are the ones pushing this agenda

Lynderella2 Tue 09-Nov-21 19:05:33

Well of course you wouldn't would you..if you have one . I'd go without any of these for as long as it takes. Being penalised for making a choice about our own bodies is disgusting.

Lynderella2 Tue 09-Nov-21 19:00:00

Blast her out of her seat...love it smile

Beswitched Tue 09-Nov-21 12:00:21

I live in Ireland. We have vaccination certs here that have to be shown before you can enter restaurants, pubs, cafés, theatres and cinemas.

MayBeMaw Tue 09-Nov-21 10:35:58

In my sheltered little existence I did not even realise this. I’m still trying to install the NHS app on my phone! blush

monk08 Tue 09-Nov-21 09:14:18

We have Covid passports have been told to show them when going to theatre later this week, mine arrived yesterday DH did them online. They state dates of vaccination and which ones you had booster not included on it.

MayBeMaw Tue 09-Nov-21 08:44:03

bloody Covid passports it's what they are designed to do ..split us up
I fail to see how by any stretch of the imagination you can blame this on the NHS app/certificates/ Covid “passports” (I didn’t know we even had them)

bikergran Tue 09-Nov-21 08:23:21

"just"

bikergran Tue 09-Nov-21 08:23:05

Yes very rude! but at the time you probably didn't want to make a fuss.

When next time you are confronted with anything similar, juts think of this recent episode and try to be bit more assertive , easier said than done if your like me.

Shame there were no water cannons! grin could have blasted her out you seat ! grin sorry.

Lynderella2 Tue 09-Nov-21 08:02:03

The person that took your seat was either stupid or rude ..I'd have been fuming ..as for the others they should have told her it was your seat , you had arranged to come out together . As for the drink ..what a cheek ! They are not friends.a friend would not see you sitting on your own .
(bloody Covid passports it's what they are designed to do ..split us up )

DanniRae Tue 09-Nov-21 07:59:37

I don't think that your friends had a pleasant evening either. They would be aware that you had been treated badly by the interloper and also be feeling guilty that they had let you down!

Kryptonite Mon 08-Nov-21 18:16:29

Dreadful and weird behaviour! Sounds like there's something wrong with her. I would have been very upset indeed. You were put in a terribly awkward position too. I'd like to think I'd insist on having my own seat and show my ticket, like people do on trains (though even some ofvyhem won't budge), even if the show had started, but I would probably have done what you did. There used to be ushers for that sort of thing. Sorry your evening was spoilt in this horrible way.

CanadianGran Mon 08-Nov-21 17:11:26

Wow, she's got nerve! It does sound like your friends did their best to try to push her back, but she was having none of it. I really can't believe the cojones of some.

You took the high road, and your friends sympathize, so put it in the past.

Elvis58 Mon 08-Nov-21 17:06:43

Very rude, sorry l would have told her to move, problem solved.

knspol Mon 08-Nov-21 16:17:34

Even if difficult to say anything as the lights were going down either you or your friends should have said/done something during the first 5 min interval. Don't think much of your friends but very sorry you had such a miserable experience.