Gransnet forums

AIBU

Baby girls in india

(35 Posts)
Sallywally1 Thu 18-Nov-21 17:55:32

Just read an article about a five day old baby girl in India left to die in a drain. Luckily she was found and is now in hospital and doing well. I had my lovely nearly three year old granddaughter this afternoon, she is the apple of her parents eye and simply delightful. I look at her and cannot understand the attitude to girls some countries still have.

They must be so desperate and so poor they cannot see any other way, but to me it is incomprehensible.

The article made me want to cry it is so sad.

Hetty58 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:56:31

Babies are abandoned, for many reasons, in the UK too. Often, their mother is watching, from a distance, until she's sure they've been rescued.

Katie59 Wed 24-Nov-21 13:03:20

It’s always tragic, you hear of babies and children being sold because their families have no money for food, mothers have to choose between giving up a child and feeding the rest of the children.
In many countries boys are regarded as future breadwinners, girls as future burdens to the family. Any woman that gives up a child has that pain wondering what happened to it for the rest of her life.

Hithere Wed 24-Nov-21 13:09:31

I wonder how many babies are abandoned because of their gender, disabilities, skin colour, etc but not because of the parents, it is the family pressure forcing them to do that

Boogaloo Wed 24-Nov-21 16:27:05

I forgot to mention in my post above that my husband's friend told him the baby girl was purposely left to die because of her sex. The family did not want female babies.

Many years ago when I was teenager I knew a girl my age who was an immigrant from India. She told me how she wanted 11 children, all boys. I can remember asking her why - in shock at the thought of having 11 sons. She told me that boys look after you financially when you're old and girls are just a burden.

Aveline Wed 24-Nov-21 16:48:31

Not necessarily true. When I was in Bangladesh I was asked if my son was married. I said that he wasn't and they were shocked. 'But who will look after you when you are old if you don't have a daughter in law?' Women can be useful in that respect as well as bringing in goods and cash from their families too. A gender balanced family is ideal.

Kalu Wed 24-Nov-21 17:15:35

I nursed a young Indian woman in the 70s, a regular patient, whom her husband deemed a useless woman. His reason, his wife repeatedly miscarried. Although medically advised to let his wife have sufficient healing time before trying for another baby, the young woman told me he would not allow her time to heal but continue using her until she gave him a son. She was desperately unhappy but had to obey their religious rules.

What a heartbreaking indictment that a baby will only be welcomed into a family depending on its monetary gain. ?

crazyH Wed 24-Nov-21 17:27:24

And think of all the “legal” abortions in the western world ..

pinkquartz Wed 24-Nov-21 17:48:16

It is possible that the longtime outcome of the killing of baby girls has led to the high incidence of rape in India.

Many men cannot marry, there is such a shortage of women as a result of the killing........

Hithere Wed 24-Nov-21 18:41:18

Pink
Rape is about power, not male/female ratio