Gransnet forums

AIBU

Mail addressed to former owners

(84 Posts)
sunseeker Fri 26-Nov-21 12:33:42

I moved 5 months ago - when I moved I contacted the Post Office to have my mail redirected, which has worked very well.

The previous owners of my house said they had done the same but I continue to get post addressed to them. I used to text them when post arrived and they would turn up a couple of days later to collect it. They finally gave me their new address and I re-address the mail and drop it in the post box.

This morning I received a text from them saying an important letter from their bank had arrived late and in future could I ensure I redirect post to them the same day! I re-address post within a couple of days and sometimes make a special trip to the post box. I did reply suggesting they contact the post office as obviously the service they claim they paid for isn't working.

I am really tempted that in future when I get post for them to simply write "not at this address" on the envelope! [grin}

Yammy Thu 17-Feb-22 14:14:24

For at least 5 years after we moved we got post ,not for the previous occupant but the one prior to that. As a relation lived nearby I put it in their post box when I passed.
When one obviously from a hospital came, I thought I should take it round, I got no thanks from the reli. Then an official-looking letter came from abroad. I gave in and took it around. A few days later the chap came and said thank you it had contained a cheque for a considerable amount.
I told him I would be putting all post in future back in the Post box with unknown at this address. We got no more post for them.
Some people are lazy just text them and say all post will be going back in the Post box with unknown on it.

Crochetaddict Thu 17-Feb-22 16:24:39

We moved here to a small hamlet (20 houses) 9 years ago. The previous owner moved a couple of miles away, but didn’t leave a forwarding address, and asked me to give any mail to a neighbour she was in contact with, I did for a year then binned it, including HMRC, letters addressed to her adult son.

Just before last Christmas a parcel was delivered here for her, I didn’t accept it and the courier took it back. 2 weeks later another neighbour came to ask me if I had the parcel, apparently previous owner had text this neighbour (who had had no contact with previous owner for over 8 years) asking her to check if I’d got it.

We also get regular phone calls asking for “Maureen” (not previous owner of house, but previous owner of phone number), including a call from the hospital to say her husband was ready for her to collect (!), several phone calls from her dentist, optician, solicitor and GP!

People are unbelievable!

biglouis Thu 17-Feb-22 22:51:16

I would have texted back "I am not your postal depot" and then blocked their number.

All subsequest mail would be put back into the post marked "gone away" at a time when it suited me.

Over the christmas period I got 4 wrongly addressed mail pieces. 2 Royal Mail and 2 My Hermes. I gave the RM ones to the postie. The other two were for other addresses on my estate but I am mobility impaired. They had to wait a week until a relative came to visit and was willing to drop them off on his way home.

Pepper59 Fri 18-Feb-22 10:02:59

I would be telling them I don't work for Royal Mail and it's not my job. They take responsibility for their own mail. If they have a problem, they sort it. After a year I would not be sorting their mail. It would be in the postbox with a ' not at this address' on it.

biglouis Sun 20-Feb-22 04:41:26

When I was renting I used to gather all the mail that came for former tenants, shove it into a large manilla envelope and post it through the LL's door once every few weeks.

After 6 months I just binned it.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Freya5 Sun 20-Feb-22 09:32:11

The cheek of some people. Expecting new owners of their home to act as their personal postie. Agree with posters on here, tell them it’s their responsibility and put the Mail back in the post box with return to sender on. It’s up to them to chase an important letter, not you. Believe it’s illegal to destroy someone else post.

merlotgran Sun 20-Feb-22 09:47:49

I have the same problem. I moved four months ago and don’t have a previous address for the last owner so I just write, ‘No longer at this address’ and pop it in the nearest post box which thankfully is on Peggy’s walking route.

merlotgran Sun 20-Feb-22 09:51:13

Sorry, that should read, Don’t have a forwarding address for the previous owner.

I’m blaming getting shampoo in my eyes in the shower this morning for posting gobbledygook! ?