Gransnet forums

AIBU

Helicopter parenting

(97 Posts)
Sago Thu 02-Dec-21 09:52:43

I am not a fan of Facebook but look at our local community page occasionally.
Today there is a mother asking for a work experience placement for her daughter for next April.

When our 3 had to do their work experience they made a list of appropriate companies and emailed them.

We would have under no circumstances put out a plea or asked friends who had businesses, it was entirely up to our children to find their own.

I fear we are not preparing the next generation to be independent.

Marjgran Fri 03-Dec-21 12:37:18

Not a hill I would die on. No idea how helpful their school is, or the circumstances. Maybe just a caring parent?

Jeanieallergy21 Fri 03-Dec-21 12:37:30

Plunger

Maybe the child has tried but failed to get a placement as happened to one of my children. Another wanted to work in a very specific area and fortunately my partner's work colleague's husband worked in that areas: they were very lucky to get such a fantastic opportunity. If you can help I see no reason why not.

Agreed. When my eldest did work experience I left it to the school to organise. The students were asked to say what sort of job they wanted and my son said he wanted to work with computers, so they gave him a placement at Comet (because they sold computers). He enjoyed it and was chuffed with the £20 gift voucher they gave him at the end for being a good worker, but it didn't give him much idea of what it would like to work in I.T. support or programming.
When it was my daughter's turn for work experience she was interested in becoming a pharmacist so I decided not to leave it to chance and asked our local pharmacy whether it would be possible for her to do her work experience there. They agreed and liaised with the school to arrange her placement. She's now fully qualified with an MPharm. and works in critical care at a large hospital. I'm not saying she wouldn't have got there without the work experience but at the time she found it invaluable to help her decide if a career in pharmacy was what she wanted to do.

coastalgran Fri 03-Dec-21 12:38:05

In the latter years as a university lecturer I had to ask parents of 1st year undergraduates to leave the lecture theatre in the first couple of lectures their 18 year old little darlings were attending. One father insisted that he was only sitting in to find out if his daughter would be able to cope with the work load and if she had chosen the correct course. This is becoming more common especially among middle and upper class families.

Frogs Fri 03-Dec-21 12:40:55

I hold my hand up - I helped arrange both my sons’ work experience at the age of 15.
I also had a hand in helping them choose their careers. They both left school at the age of 16 and now in their early 40s have done alright and have no problems making their own decisions. As we couldn’t have afforded to to pay university fees etc and neither of them wanted to run up huge debts they were happy to start work at 16 - they didn’t have the luxury of another five years to make career decisions. Both have gained degrees as mature students - doing it the hard way whilst also working but both had their uni fees funded by their employer….. so doesn’t seem the ‘helicopter’ parenting has done any harm.. I also know when is the right time to step back but we all need to parent as we see best and I don’t blame anyone posting on FB for help - I wish it had been available in my day.

Tempest Fri 03-Dec-21 12:55:28

Every parent in my son's school organised work experience for their children via their contacts. The children wrote the supervised letters to the parents contacts. Unfortunately life is never fair. I have worked in the public sector and in the private sector. No matter what laws are in place, helping family and friends by letting them know of certain available options for employment has always been the case. Maybe it is not so glaringly obvious because of various smoke screens but I would suggest it has always been the way all over the world.

Doodledog Fri 03-Dec-21 12:55:35

coastalgran

In the latter years as a university lecturer I had to ask parents of 1st year undergraduates to leave the lecture theatre in the first couple of lectures their 18 year old little darlings were attending. One father insisted that he was only sitting in to find out if his daughter would be able to cope with the work load and if she had chosen the correct course. This is becoming more common especially among middle and upper class families.

Yes, that doesn't surprise me at all. I don't understand how anyone can think that this level of interference is 'caring' or 'doing the best for their children'. It might ensure that they get a job that the parent approves of, but it doesn't help them to build relationships or make the difficult decisions that fully-functioning adults sometimes have to do. On their own.

ExaltedWombat Fri 03-Dec-21 13:04:39

No. Use any contacts and influence you can muster. Your job is to support a child as much as possible, not just throw them into the system with a 'you're on your own now, sink or swim' attitude.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Dec-21 13:05:51

I suppose that depends on an individual's idea of support.

madmum38 Fri 03-Dec-21 13:06:58

I was surprised that my DD school didn’t do work experience at all, my three other children went to different schools and all did it.
I thought maybe it had stop for one reason or other. She is 18 now and just started university but didn’t get to try out the job she thinks she wants

kwest Fri 03-Dec-21 13:24:10

Are people seriously suggesting that they would not help out in looking for possible placements for their children?
Frankly I don't believe it.

Sago Fri 03-Dec-21 13:26:31

OP here Interesting responses, thank you all.

Something that nobody seems to have picked up on is the fact the parent not the child posted the request.
I could never imagine me not saying to my child NO you put out an appeal.
As an employee, I wouldn’t take on a young person who had allowed a parent to do such a thing!

An interesting anecdote, a couple of years ago I was working on a project at a huge global company.
A party of about 12 pupils came in from a local 6th form college, they were having a tour then interviewing for an internship, there were 6 places on offer.

They were in reception area waiting to get in a mini bus to leave, one young man hung back and said to the employee who had been leading the group around “ We asked our teachers what we should wear and they said dress as though you were coming to college, that was a big mistake, I wish I had come looking smart like the staff here”
As the young men left, the employee said to me he has definitely got a place!

It was so uplifting to witness, I’m sure he will go far.

PaperMonster Fri 03-Dec-21 13:35:02

They’ll probably have done as you suggested and also asked their parent to ask on FB if they’re not on it themselves.

Frogs Fri 03-Dec-21 13:49:05

Sago

*OP here* Interesting responses, thank you all.

Something that nobody seems to have picked up on is the fact the parent not the child posted the request.
I could never imagine me not saying to my child NO you put out an appeal.
As an employee, I wouldn’t take on a young person who had allowed a parent to do such a thing!

An interesting anecdote, a couple of years ago I was working on a project at a huge global company.
A party of about 12 pupils came in from a local 6th form college, they were having a tour then interviewing for an internship, there were 6 places on offer.

They were in reception area waiting to get in a mini bus to leave, one young man hung back and said to the employee who had been leading the group around “ We asked our teachers what we should wear and they said dress as though you were coming to college, that was a big mistake, I wish I had come looking smart like the staff here”
As the young men left, the employee said to me he has definitely got a place!

It was so uplifting to witness, I’m sure he will go far.

Sago - Well I picked up on your point that it was the parent not the child who put on the posting for work experience on FB. Some children under 16 haven’t got a Facebook account. But in any case if it had been the ‘child’ that had posted you can bet your bottom dollar it is the parent in a lot of cases who are behind the child posting the request. I know of a school leaver who got a plumbing apprenticeship through FB - the employer praised his initiative for his posting when I know for a fact it was his mother who composed the posting…. I probably would have done the same but then it pays to be a little be devious and not too up front . ?

Daisymae Fri 03-Dec-21 13:58:10

I once had a request from a parent to attend a work interview with a candidate! With regards to getting in touch with university professors, I would think that there's some point when individuals must be responsible for their own actions. What happens when there's trouble at work? Or with a partner? A parent can't always beat the path ahead.

Doodledog Fri 03-Dec-21 14:03:43

ExaltedWombat

No. Use any contacts and influence you can muster. Your job is to support a child as much as possible, not just throw them into the system with a 'you're on your own now, sink or swim' attitude.

I think there is a huge gap between micro-managing your children's lives, taking over when things get difficult, and 'just throw(ing) them into the system with a 'you're on your own now, sink or swim' attitude'.

IMO, it is our job to bring up our children to be independent and capable, and to give them confidence that they can do things for themselves. This is, of course, a gradual process, but it should be well under way by the time they are 15 and doing a school/work placement that lasts for five days. If it's not the perfect fit they will survive, and may well learn coping skills that will serve them well later on.

Hedgehog2908 Fri 03-Dec-21 14:40:44

We had a young lad on work experience in my office. The first day he read his novel all day and showed no interest in the job. The second day his mum rang up and said he wasn't coming in for the rest of the week as he didn't really like it. We no longer offer work experience

PamQS Fri 03-Dec-21 14:44:16

This used to drive me mad when my sons were doing work placements. The system at their school was that the school found a placement, unless parents suggested an alternative placement. Both my sons ended up in primary schools, as those placements seemed to be the most plentiful. Many of my friends’ children ended up placed in businesses owned by their friends.

Mind you, thinking about it with hindsight, my eldest son did several years as an agency teaching assistant to make ends meet as a new graduate, and is now a on dairy school teacher. And the younger one was intrigued by the disruptive children he encountered in the school, and what caused their behaviour, and he went on to study sociology! So maybe the school placements were more inspiring than I realised!

PamQS Fri 03-Dec-21 14:46:04

Sorry about the garbled post - my spellchecker insists on inserting phrases that are nothing to do with what I’m trying to write. My eldest son is now a secondary school teacher - nothing to do with dairies at all!

Calistemon Fri 03-Dec-21 14:49:01

I'm not a helicopter parent but I wouldn't allow a child to put out a request like that on Facebook and I hope that any of my grandchildren wouldn't be allowed to, simply because of safeguarding issues.
I know my DC did go and find themselves jobs when they were at school or college but it was locally and through recommendations of friends, or through knowing someone local.

The school should be arranging the placement if it is an official one.

Treetops05 Fri 03-Dec-21 14:49:41

I am on a Uni site, and many parents seem to micromanage their children totally. From writing 'their' personal statement, taking their entire student loan and giving it back weekly as their child is dreadful with money...how will they learn to do it? One even phoned her DS tutor as she didn't think the course content was age appropriate - far too hard for a child! I asked if her son was a prodigy going to Uni early, no he was an Army cadet aged 19...

She wasn't alone and I started to wonder if I was the weird one...

Doodledog Fri 03-Dec-21 15:02:20

Yes, Treetops, it's depressingly common, and has got worse over the last few years. It's quite rare now for students to come to open days unaccompanied - when I was a student we all went to open days on the train, then (probably when more families had cars) parents would drive them to the city and disappear for a couple of hours so that their children could go to the tours and talks on their own, but now they arrive as a family and it is the parents who ask the questions.

People complain that graduates are not what they used to be, and blame the courses, but as often as not they are far less resourceful and competent as parental coddling has meant that many have not grown up beyond the level of school leavers when they leave university. They have a graduate's academic knowledge, but not the maturity and independence that living away from home used to give them in the days when there was limited contact between home and student.

icanhandthemback Fri 03-Dec-21 15:39:03

None of the schools my kids were at provided placements or details of placements. Some of our kids needed initial input from us, others were independent. All of them have grown up to be independent with exception of the one who managed to find her own work experience but suffers from anxiety now. I think it is unfair to judge parents in these circumstances because kids all develop at different rates.

Nanny27 Fri 03-Dec-21 15:59:20

At the school where I worked for many years students were given access to a list of local businesses who were happy to take a student on work experience. The student, having selected a placement had to then phone the business and arrange an interview. He or she would be given the time off school to attend the interview. An excellent experience for the student and a good way the ensure that the placement was appropriate. Only special needs students were allowed to gain work experience with a friend or family member.

Doodledog Fri 03-Dec-21 16:30:27

I think it is unfair to judge parents in these circumstances because kids all develop at different rates.

That's a fair point, Icanhandthemback. I'm talking about trends rather than individual cases, but of course you are right.

Doodledog Fri 03-Dec-21 16:31:20

Nanny27

At the school where I worked for many years students were given access to a list of local businesses who were happy to take a student on work experience. The student, having selected a placement had to then phone the business and arrange an interview. He or she would be given the time off school to attend the interview. An excellent experience for the student and a good way the ensure that the placement was appropriate. Only special needs students were allowed to gain work experience with a friend or family member.

This seems to me to be an example of good practice that should be followed by more schools.