Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are you irritated by incorrect grammar.

(209 Posts)
Quizzer Wed 12-Jan-22 10:01:45

I am all for regional accents, even though some can be mildly irritating.
However what really annoys me is blatantly incorrect grammar. On the news this morning I heard a senior politician using the phrases “you was” and “we was”. Unfortunately my brain automatically reduces my perception of the speaker’s IQ by about 20 points.
Am I alone in this, or are there any other glaring errors which really irritate you?

Yogamum Sun 16-Jan-22 12:16:44

I particularly dislike “somefink” instead of “something”. As previous poster said above, my estimation of the person’s IQ drops significantly. My very big pet peeve.

When reading, the blatant misuse of your and you’re or they’re, their, there also drives me bonkers.

I can somewhat understand the confusion of definately for definitely but when someone uses defiantly for definitely, it makes my eyes hurt.

JenniferEccles Tue 18-Jan-22 23:23:39

Pacific instead of specific is another very common one.

GrannyRose15 Wed 19-Jan-22 00:04:20

less/fewer

amount of /number of

greengrocers' apostrophes

I/me

All drive me crazy.

GrannyRose15 Wed 19-Jan-22 00:08:07

My daughter once brought home a printed list of spellings to be learnt for the following week - one of them was spelt incorrectly!!

Witzend Wed 19-Jan-22 09:50:30

The two ‘best’ I ever saw were both on the same day, in a local Asda. Both were printed, not handwritten, signs!

‘New Zeeland chedder’ and

‘Rasers are now in the shampoo aisle.’

What really gave me a start was that they’d spelt ‘aisle’ correctly! I’ve seen ‘isle’ in that context so many times.

giulia Wed 19-Jan-22 10:17:02

Quizzer: just came across this thread and must admit I agree with every word you wrote probably because I have been teaching English to Italians for over thirty years.

My profession (before giving it up to be a full-time mother) was that of trilingual executive secretary. In that capacity, I had great fun for several years arguing with my various American bosses about the correct use/spelling of the language: armed with my Oxford Dictionary and my boss with his Webster's. The misunderstandings and the laughs!

Have become fascinated by the subtlety of the English language when used correctly. Just think how Churchill used it to assassinate/amuse his opponents or friends.

Coastpath Thu 20-Jan-22 09:49:25

I've just returned to this thread and want to thank FannyCornforth, Marydoll and Doodledog for your kind and very supportive comments.

Poppyjo Sat 22-Jan-22 21:01:01

My pet irritation when chefs especially say “add a little BIT of water”. Should be drop, spot, etc., growing up we were always corrected to say the right words. It annoys my son ?