Gransnet forums

AIBU

Have you ever seen a Ghost

(214 Posts)
Msida Sun 16-Jan-22 19:39:40

Just before my Nan died she said she could see my grandad, she said he had come back for her

Have you ever seen a ghost..

AGAA4 Mon 17-Jan-22 16:14:58

There is still a lot we don't understand and too many people have strange experiences that can't be explained.
On my birthday 8 months after DH had died I was woken with a kiss and his voice saying " Happy Birthday Darling". Maybe it was just imagination but it felt very real.

Msida Mon 17-Jan-22 17:27:54

This is an amazing thread apart from were people are calling it a load of rubbish

It's fine if you don't believe

But its hurtful calling it a load of rubbish

Sassanach512 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:00:43

I agree Msida there is so much we don't understand and can't explain yet and like Nanee49 said, electricity was always there and just needed someone to discover it. People shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as rubbish when so many have had experiences. One thing is certain, we'll all find out if it's true one way or another when our time comes

giulia Mon 17-Jan-22 19:03:13

We booked into a B&B, an old house set in the woods of a deep mountain valley in Piedmont. My daughter had the room next to us, which contained a very old and large double-doored wardrobe whose doors were very difficult to open and close. That night we had to hammer them shut with our fists.
Next morning, I peeped into my daughter's bedroom to tell her to get up and noticed both cupboard doors wide open. Thought it strange but went back to our room without commenting. Two minutes later we heard my daughter screaming. She too had just seen the open wardrobe and was terrified. She then told us that during the night she had heard hammering and scratching, thought it was the B&B owners doing stuff outside her window; yelled at them from her window to be quiet and jumped back into bed. Now
she was convinced the noises she had heard were, in fact, somebody trying to get out of the wardrobe and succeeding.
We then discovered that this old house was set by a railway line and was where Jews had been imprisoned overnight before boarding the train that would take them to Germany.

MerylStreep Mon 17-Jan-22 19:08:22

AGAA4

There is still a lot we don't understand and too many people have strange experiences that can't be explained.
On my birthday 8 months after DH had died I was woken with a kiss and his voice saying " Happy Birthday Darling". Maybe it was just imagination but it felt very real.

How lovely ?

MerylStreep Mon 17-Jan-22 19:10:34

Msida
It doesn’t hurt me, and I’m sure many others because we are 100% sure of what we saw.

Witzend Mon 17-Jan-22 19:37:03

Sassanach512

I agree Msida there is so much we don't understand and can't explain yet and like Nanee49 said, electricity was always there and just needed someone to discover it. People shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as rubbish when so many have had experiences. One thing is certain, we'll all find out if it's true one way or another when our time comes

Can you imagine, say 100 years ago, if anyone had said that in less than 100 years you’d be able to buy a small device called a Kindle, smaller than a small book, where you could touch a little button, and within seconds an entire book of your choosing would have whizzed through the air into that device, for you to read? And that you’d be able to store umpteen books on that device, to read whenever you wanted?
How many of us would have believed that, even 50 years ago?
I’m not sure I would!

Sassanach512 Mon 17-Jan-22 20:32:17

You'd have been locked up in a ghastly asylum Witzend smile and probably burnt at the stake for such devilish ideas not much further back but see how quickly technology developed in 100 years, who knows, in another 100 years maybe someone will prove that there is an afterlife and it becomes normal to talk to our loved ones in their dimension, now wouldn't that be a wonderous thing? smile

Msida Mon 17-Jan-22 20:52:00

AGAA4 that is such a lovely lovely story ?

Msida Mon 17-Jan-22 20:54:19

These stories are so interesting

In a way I think our departed husbands are lucky,, up in Heaven or hopefully on the way and we still here struggling being alone and trying to cope

Pammie1 Mon 17-Jan-22 21:05:46

Msida

In a way I think our departed husbands are lucky,, up in Heaven or hopefully on the way and we still here struggling being alone and trying to cope

I hope my late husband is up there safe and sound. I wouldn’t wish what I went through after he died on anyone, let alone him.

Witzend Mon 17-Jan-22 21:19:28

Pammie1

Msida

I hope my late husband is up there safe and sound. I wouldn’t wish what I went through after he died on anyone, let alone him.

??Pammie1

Msida Mon 17-Jan-22 22:06:21

I feel the same Pammiel smile he always said he would not want to live alone, that's why I say aswell that they are lucky because they never had to live alone. It is quite brutal and for some reason it makes me feel like a looser. I wish I knew whyy

pea007 Mon 17-Jan-22 23:22:35

I’m from a farming background. My Mum used to say that she and my Dad were out in the car one day and they passed a woman leaning against a gate on the side of the road. My Dad said to my Mum “oh there’s Sara Jane ……” and added the name of the farm where she lived. My Mum also saw the woman and nodded in agreement; it took them a few seconds to remember that Sara Jane had passed away a few years previously.
My Mum believed in ghosts but my Dad didn’t and when asked about the incident he said he couldn’t explain what he’d seen.

Hetty58 Tue 18-Jan-22 00:49:07

pea007, that's the problem - when you don't believe but can't explain, you have to conclude that it's just something we don't understand.

NanWise Tue 18-Jan-22 01:30:48

About 20 years ago I worked as full time Parish Verger in a London church. One evening, having locked the main doors, I was getting my coat at the back of the church, and saw someone in a cloak glide down the aisle in the direction of the altar, & disappear. I wasn’t in the least bit frightened. On the following Sunday, I mentioned this to the Churchwarden, a very sensible & intelligent man. He wasn’t in
the least surprised, & simply said ‘oh yes, I know’.

Coastpath Tue 18-Jan-22 09:57:26

Msida I always enjoy your posts and you sound anything but a loser to me. flowers.

This is a very enjoyable thread and I have another story to offer. When I was at college I had a part time job as a general dogsbody to a couple who were renovating this old house which was practically a ruin at the time. Everyone who worked there said they felt a presence but I never saw anything. The lady of the house had seen a ghostly woman around so often she talked to her as she went about the place as though she were an employee.

There was a carpenter working at the house who was very dismissive of all our spooky tales and goings on. One day he was working away in the room which he'd set up as a workshop when I heard a crash. He shouted and ran from the room, straight past me looking terrified. He got in his van and wouldn't come back. We had to drop his tools round to his house.

He said he had been standing at his bench when a 'hand' swept across it pushing all his tools off onto the floor.

Pammie1 Tue 18-Jan-22 10:10:30

Msida

I feel the same Pammiel smile he always said he would not want to live alone, that's why I say aswell that they are lucky because they never had to live alone. It is quite brutal and for some reason it makes me feel like a looser. I wish I knew whyy

You’re definitely not a loser Msida. You’re right, losing your life partner is brutal - you don’t just lose the one you love, you lose a whole way of life. I felt as though everything familiar had been taken from me. Everything looked the same - same house, same car, same neighbourhood, same friends and family, but suddenly everything’s so different. There’s a grey cast on everything. But you do learn to live again - the colour will come back into life and you can be happy again, although I’ve redefined what happiness means to me now. You’ve faced up to and accepted your loss - that’s the hardest part, and you’re surviving. That’s a lot to be proud of.

Bellanonna Tue 18-Jan-22 10:24:28

Lovely post, Pammie1

Petalpop Tue 18-Jan-22 10:35:13

No as I don't believe in ghosts.

Roddi3363 Tue 18-Jan-22 10:39:17

As a teenager I sang in the church choir. We had an annual meal at one of the parish's benefactors. It was a very old house.
I went upstairs to the toilet accompanied by the Jack Russell Terrier who stopped just before the landing and growled. I was aware of something grey floating across and it being cold. Needless to say the dog and I shot back downstairs very rapidly and I didn't use the toilet. Never told anyone at the time either.

When I worked in PNG the people there were very much closer to their ancestors and would never give a pet a human name because it would confine their spirit to the earth. They also believed that fireflies were these earth locked spirits....

Sparklefizz Tue 18-Jan-22 10:42:13

My Mum came back to see me several times after her sudden death. And my much-loved cat came back to see me on the evening after he'd died. A friend was with me and I was crying when we heard his meow and he came to sit with me. I was glad my friend was there to verify it. It was very comforting.

Seeker2022 Tue 18-Jan-22 10:43:10

Thanks for all the sharing. I'd recommend a fascinating book, Hello from Heaven, by Bill Guggenheim and Judy Guggenheim, recording the experiences of 2,000 people with ADCs (After Death Communications experienced directly by people, not via a medium). If you search for it online, there's a brief Wiki entry, a YouTube interview with Bill G, and an excerpt from Chapter 1 on Random House's site.

If you want to buy it, Hive Books has it as an E-book, and UK Bookshop.com sells the paperback but it's O/S. (Both of these support local independent bookshops, yet are often cheaper than the big stores. Also, Hive offers a Senior Discount.) It's O/S at Waterstones. If you want a hard copy in a hurry (and don't mind funding a very rich man and his space tourism), Amazon UK has it in several different editions - at a wide range of prices. Or maybe order it from your library?

There's also the "Uncanny" series currently on Radio 4 (and on BBC Sounds), but it focuses on negative paranormal experiences - impressive though some episodes are.

Brewteaful Tue 18-Jan-22 10:43:31

Yes, twice.
I went to visit my partners Gran and I looked through the window as we were parking up. There was a lady sat in the chair by the far window and his gran was sat in her usual chair. We walked in and only his Gran was there! I asked her if she’d had any visitors and she said no. Not long after, his Gran passed away and I was taking to a family friend about what I’d seen and she said that’s her deceased sister, Mary! Exact description, sat in same chair etc. I’d never met or heard about this sister prior to this.

Another time, I saw my neighbour in her porch but she’d passed away a few months earlier. I moved house and about a year later was passing so thought I’d call and see how her husband was doing. The granddaughter opened the door and said he’d passed away that morning ?

Susiewakie Tue 18-Jan-22 10:46:07

I've had a few experiences...my Dad died and I was woken by a hard shove at 4.45am .Cried out my DH woke up too then the phone rang he had just passed. A flat we lived in had a presence daughter was only 10 got home from school run all her toys scattered across the room ..she's very tidy .Lots of incidents in the flat coats thrown on floor etc etc shoes all in the bathroom. We moved to a bungalow and I was decorating the bedroom looked into the hall and a elderly man put on a overcoat and hat tipped his hat and smiled at me then vanished .Few weeks later neighbours showed us old photos of the area and a picture of the front garden had same man in ! .Can't explain any of it but wasn't scared felt warmth from whatever was there