Gransnet forums

AIBU

Delicatessen and cafe staff who can't make a wrap

(74 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 17-Jan-22 13:42:54

Aagh! Once again I have come home with a wrap from a deli to discover it has been folded into a square instead of rolled and wrapped the way it should be. As a result half the filling falls out everytime I take a bite.
Surely if you work in a place that sells wraps you should learn how to make them properly? It's not difficult.

Pammie1 Mon 17-Jan-22 18:46:57

Baggs

Pammie1

I get the thinner tortillas and place one over the other until it resembles a figure 8. Place the filling in a line just short of the middle, roll once and then fold in the ends. Roll up tightly and wrap in clingfilm for about an hour - makes it easier to eat.

I think I need a diagram, or several, to understand how this works, Pammie. By "resemble a figure 8' do you mean the tortillas overlap a bit?

Then I couldn't work out what the line just short of the middle meant. Sorry!

Yes, put the tortillas overlapping until they look like the number 8. I’m trying to find a better way of describing where to put the filling - not quite in the middle, but closer to where you start to roll it up, if you see what I mean. Put it in a sort of line - a bit like you’re making a sausage roll and don’t overfill. Roll once and then fold in the ends, then continue to roll quite tightly and tuck the end under. I find that if it’s a cold filling, it helps to wrap in cling film and chill for a while to firm up before eating. I’ve also discovered Old El Paso tortilla pockets - they’re like little cups made of tortillas and take the work out of it - good for hot fillings too.

Baggs Mon 17-Jan-22 18:48:59

Thanks, Pammie! I will experiment.

Nannashirlz Tue 18-Jan-22 10:45:41

Actually you supposed to fold bottom a little so to have a fold and then roll tight and if done correctly it shouldn’t unfold sounds like you had one done by someone who can’t be bothered or not trained at all. If anyone came into my shop and told me it was a mess when got home I’d ask who served them and give them a freebie and also staff member would be retrained and spoken to. I was in a cafeteria at one of my sons and young lass was struggling behind counter and I told her how to do it. She could not believe how easy it was. She obviously hadn’t being trained correctly.

Beswitched Tue 18-Jan-22 11:06:21

I know. It's a very easy thing to do when you're shown how. Charging people 5 pounds fifty for a wrap and then preparing it in a way that makes it impossible to eat without cheese and coleslaw falling all over the place is daft. Just spend a couple of minutes showing her how to do it properly.

elleks Tue 18-Jan-22 11:18:13

Baggs

I make them with three folds and an open top. It works pretty well held together with a couple of cocktail sticks (which I re-use ad infinitum) until I pick it up to eat. Don't have spillage problems.

While Minibaggs was home over xmas hols if I made them for her and she wasn't ready to eat them I wrapped them in cling film. She didn't have a spillage problem either.

I just looked at the video showing how to roll them after three folds similar to mine. Might have a go but it would mean biting through several more thicknesses of tortilla so I'm not convinced it's better than my method.

That's how I wrap fajitas at home-fold one side in, fold base up, then the other side; leave top open.

vickymeldrew Tue 18-Jan-22 11:20:33

Absolutely agree with you Beswitched. If people are working in these jobs, then surely they should be trained . I’m sure they will have health and safety and food hygiene regulations so the rest should follow.
A pet hate of mine is to ask for a ‘white coffee’ and be given a mug full to the brim with black coffee and nowhere left to add the milk!

4allweknow Tue 18-Jan-22 11:21:06

Pammie Is this the Krypton Factor test on wraps? I too am lost.

blubber Tue 18-Jan-22 12:12:22

I agree felice. A minor inconvenience. My pension would not run to a wrap or anything else from a deli. What's wrong with making a sandwich at home.

Beswitched Tue 18-Jan-22 12:15:24

blubber

I agree felice. A minor inconvenience. My pension would not run to a wrap or anything else from a deli. What's wrong with making a sandwich at home.

There is nothing wrong with making a sandwich at home. Neither is there anything wrong with occasionally buying a takeaway sandwich from a delicatessen occasionally if funds allow. And when I do, I would actually like to be able to eat it without half of it falling everywhere.

nipsmum Tue 18-Jan-22 12:25:48

I can't say it's a problem I have ever had. I very rarely buy take away food from anywhere, except of course Fish and Chips. They are always wrapped well.

GagaJo Tue 18-Jan-22 12:35:58

Beswitched, ignore the grumps.

The clues in the name really, isn't it? Wrap

3nanny6 Tue 18-Jan-22 12:44:14

I made chicken wraps for tea last night. No fancy ways to tell you, I put the chicken to one side of the wrap and just roll over the wrap. Nothing fell out they were easy to eat and absolutely delicious. I buy my own wraps and cook whatever filling I want to use.

Robin38 Tue 18-Jan-22 12:48:22

Beswitched

Also I can never understand why people don't simply ignore threads that they consider trivial and not worthy of their attention, rather than posting rude and supercilious comments.
There are plenty of serious threads about important things where you can air your opinions. Some of us, sometimes, want to rant or chat about ordinary everyday things that annoy us, without receiving I'll mannered put downs.

Hear hear from me too!

Mummer Tue 18-Jan-22 13:04:02

? personally I think it's a couple of generations who never learned how to do the 4 different ways to fold a Terry nappy depending on whether baby girl/baby boy !!!?

Mummer Tue 18-Jan-22 13:08:14

vickymeldrew

Absolutely agree with you Beswitched. If people are working in these jobs, then surely they should be trained . I’m sure they will have health and safety and food hygiene regulations so the rest should follow.
A pet hate of mine is to ask for a ‘white coffee’ and be given a mug full to the brim with black coffee and nowhere left to add the milk!

It's all down to lazy bosses/owners who simply can't be bovverd to train staff, probably as staff may not stay long?
Wrap: filling in middle line :fold up bottom to cover filling half way: roll whole thing like Swiss roll to secure filling in middle: can tuck both top and bottom à là spring roll too?! Dear simple but why don't they just show them what to do, they'll never learn anything!

GraceQuirrel Tue 18-Jan-22 13:21:25

The most boring thread in MN history!

Callistemon21 Tue 18-Jan-22 13:26:41

GraceQuirrel

I was just thinking of adding to it ? but I don't like wraps anyway!

Actually, years ago we were in a cafe which was in a complex and next to a supermarket. They claimed they made the sandwiches fresh.

DH asked for egg sandwiches but they said they couldn't make him any because they had run out of egg filling. He pointed out there was a supermarket selling eggs about 5 metres away. No could do!

(not in the UK, btw)

Purpledaffodil Tue 18-Jan-22 13:38:59

Oh yes Mummer those hard won origami nappy skills?After 2 boys I tended to give DD boys’ nappies too. ?

Millie22 Tue 18-Jan-22 13:44:13

Hmm interesting ... not. I'm going back to the ghosts.

JaneJudge Tue 18-Jan-22 13:46:19

Did you take a photo? smile

I am rubbish at rolling wraps too but I don't work in a sandwich shop

EMMF1948 Tue 18-Jan-22 13:47:51

felice

1st World problems in a BIG way, who cares, there are many people who would be happy with what is 'falling' out of your wrap.sad

1st World problems

The 1st response of the arrogant! There are many topics on which I can't be bothered to respond as I don't have my personal virtual signalling scoreboard.

Craicon Tue 18-Jan-22 13:56:34

GraceQuirrel

Oh, I’m so very grateful that you took the time and effort to post your esteemed opinion on this thread and deemed it the most boring in MN history.

Will you be posting on Mumsnet later to tell them about their most boring Gransnet thread too? ??‍♀️

Baggs Tue 18-Jan-22 14:00:29

GraceQuirrel

My philosopher dad's response to anyone who said something was boring was this: Nothing is boring; people are bored.

Think about it.

Oldwoman70 Tue 18-Jan-22 14:02:39

Have you complained to the deli or cafe - perhaps you could offer to show them how its done smile

Beswitched Tue 18-Jan-22 14:17:06

GraceQuirrel

Well feel free not to read it. Just as I don't read, or indeed post comments on, threads that bore me.
Life is too short for that.