Gransnet forums

AIBU

Delicatessen and cafe staff who can't make a wrap

(74 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 17-Jan-22 13:42:54

Aagh! Once again I have come home with a wrap from a deli to discover it has been folded into a square instead of rolled and wrapped the way it should be. As a result half the filling falls out everytime I take a bite.
Surely if you work in a place that sells wraps you should learn how to make them properly? It's not difficult.

Beswitched Tue 18-Jan-22 14:21:26

Millie22

Hmm interesting ... not. I'm going back to the ghosts.

Gosh, yet another person who took the time and trouble to comment on a thread they have no interest in whatsoever.
Do people do this in real life? Join voluntarily in a conversation to tell the participants that it's boring and they have no interest in the topic under discussion?

Callistemon21 Tue 18-Jan-22 14:53:41

Baggs

GraceQuirrel

The most boring thread in MN history!

My philosopher dad's response to anyone who said something was boring was this: Nothing is boring; people are bored.

Think about it.

???

That's why I added my very interesting story about egg sandwiches to the thread even though I don't like wraps.

I don't like them because they always taste undercooked to me.

Callistemon21 Tue 18-Jan-22 14:55:54

Who mentioned nappies?

Would the wraps be better with a nappy pin holding them together?

Beswitched Tue 18-Jan-22 15:05:17

You can toast them Callistemon. The cheese goes all melty and delicious.

Millie22 Tue 18-Jan-22 15:35:31

Ok so wraps are really interesting. Anyway I found some of the ghost stories a bit creepy so I'm back.

I'm more of a sandwich person myself but whichever it is should be made properly ?

JaneJudge Tue 18-Jan-22 15:47:27

I think they are lovely toasted x 2 flat in a pan with a filling and then shared between two

Blossoming Tue 18-Jan-22 15:49:35

I love wraps! I prefer eating with my fingers grin Mine usually fall apart due to too much hot salsa.

Blossoming Tue 18-Jan-22 15:51:26

Millie22 are there any ghost stories involving wraps?

Deedaa Tue 18-Jan-22 16:09:42

Fortunately we didn't make wraps when I worked in an M&S cafe, but I was always pulling some of the newer servers up for holding cups by the rim instead of the handle. They were always surprised by the idea that customers might not like it.

Millie22 Tue 18-Jan-22 16:11:37

Not that I can see Blossoming but who knows as kitchens were dangerous places to work in years ago!

marionk Tue 18-Jan-22 16:17:46

Not a wrap issue but we ate at a German restaurant in London last week, lots of things missing from the menu due to ‘supply issues’ apparently. Help me understand this though - my DH wanted potato salad with his meal, apparently that was unavailable also but he could have roasted baby potatoes ??‍♀️ Surely if they had potatoes and a chef worth their wages they could produce potato salad??

Dickens Tue 18-Jan-22 16:38:03

Beswitched

Millie22

Hmm interesting ... not. I'm going back to the ghosts.

Gosh, yet another person who took the time and trouble to comment on a thread they have no interest in whatsoever.
Do people do this in real life? Join voluntarily in a conversation to tell the participants that it's boring and they have no interest in the topic under discussion?

... I've never understood this - why people insist on telling you that what they are reading and commenting on, is boring them.

They do it a lot on Facebook, too. Say things like "who cares - boring", often with lots of silly emojis.

I can only assume it satisfies some need to be heard - even if it is a pointless comment. I think the best response is... well, none really.

The only 'wrap' I ever had was back in the 70s in a Greek cafe - ''Souvlaki", small pieces of grilled lamb with salad rolled in a pita bread and lemon slices as garnish. Don't think it was called a wrap, but it was absolutely delicious.

... and years before that - in the 50s - I went to a Turkish club for ex-pats (had a Turkish friend) and ate lamb STEW in a pita bread - my goodness, that was messy..

Beswitched Tue 18-Jan-22 19:38:00

That souvlaki sounds delicious. Even though I've just had my dinner I'm starving for one smile

LuckyFour Tue 18-Jan-22 19:45:49

Lost the plot on the tortilla issue so made myself a sandwich.

Callistemon21 Tue 18-Jan-22 23:21:07

Mummer

? personally I think it's a couple of generations who never learned how to do the 4 different ways to fold a Terry nappy depending on whether baby girl/baby boy !!!?

The kite way of folding was the vogue when mine were in nappies.

That way was supposed to be better, never worked loose and contained any filling well.

Perhaps wraps should be folded like a kite nappy.

effalump Fri 21-Jan-22 16:56:33

I think I'd be useless at folding a wrap but I know I'd be good if I worked in a chippy. If I wrap used food in newspaper before putting it into the bin, I wrap as though it's fish and chips.

MerylStreep Fri 21-Jan-22 17:19:25

effalump
You shouldn’t be putting food and newspapers in the same bin, naught naughty ?

MayBeMaw Fri 21-Jan-22 17:57:41

Our food waste goes into a pGreen food/garden waste bin and I was advised to line the bottom with newspaper to keep it cleanish.
So yes, depending on your local recycling policy, you can wrap food in newspaper to put in a green bin.

Elizabeth27 Fri 21-Jan-22 18:14:59

Every week I have a coffee in a local cafe, I ask for a black coffee and they always ask if I want milk or cream.

People that comment on the TV thread make me laugh, the programme is in the title so they know what it is about but go on it comment they do not watch the programme.

Queenie77 Sun 23-Jan-22 20:50:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MissAdventure Sun 23-Jan-22 20:54:07

grin

Beswitched Sun 23-Jan-22 21:36:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Beswitched Sun 23-Jan-22 22:03:35

Interesting first post actually. I smell sock puppets.