Gransnet forums

AIBU

Who is Kate Middleton?

(83 Posts)
Mallin Fri 28-Jan-22 18:54:12

Am I alone in being truly fed up with Prince Williams wife forever being described by her maiden name in newspapers and magazines?

ShazzaKanazza Fri 28-Jan-22 18:58:59

I agree with you there Mallin I keep saying the same.

Birdie1 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:07:12

I don’t get it either ? - have never read or seen the reasoning for it - someone enlighten us please

GG65 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:09:21

Argh, I was just thinking about this. It’s unbelievably rude and disrespectful.

paddyann54 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:13:00

there are more women who keep their maiden name than not nowadays .I dont think its either rude nor disrespectful.Of course I think titles are a medieval concept that should have been left in the middle ages.
The way things are going we can hope that will be the case sooner rather than later .Let then monarchy end when Lizzie dies ,end the class system and the biggest divide in the UK

Anniebach Fri 28-Jan-22 19:23:18

Easier to type / write than Catherine Duchess of Cambridge?

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:23:58

Lazy reporting, quicker to type Kate Middleton than Catherine Duchess of Cambridge.

Casdon Fri 28-Jan-22 19:30:02

paddyann54 I checked because it seemed unlikely that you were right - according to research reported by the BBC:
‘ In the US, most women adopt their husband’s family name when they get married – around 70%, according to one of the largest data analyses in recent years. For British women, the figure is almost 90%, according to a 2016 survey, with around 85% of those aged between 18 and 30 saying they still follow the practice.’

Lizbethann55 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:30:30

I agree Mallin. It is disrespectful. And if Anniebach is right then it is just plain lazy! I am not sure which is worse.
Princess Diana was never known as Diana Spencer after her wedding.

Calendargirl Fri 28-Jan-22 19:32:00

Lizbethann55

I agree Mallin. It is disrespectful. And if Anniebach is right then it is just plain lazy! I am not sure which is worse.
Princess Diana was never known as Diana Spencer after her wedding.

Often still referred to as Lady Di though.

GG65 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:33:37

paddyann54

there are more women who keep their maiden name than not nowadays .I dont think its either rude nor disrespectful.Of course I think titles are a medieval concept that should have been left in the middle ages.
The way things are going we can hope that will be the case sooner rather than later .Let then monarchy end when Lizzie dies ,end the class system and the biggest divide in the UK

The fact that more women keep their maiden name nowadays is irrelevant.

If she has taken her husband’s name then of course it’s rude and disrespectful to constantly refer to her by her maiden name.

Alegrias1 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:44:47

Kate Middleton is just like us though, isn't she. Lovely Kate. Nice ordinary English girl. Could be our daughter. Good old Kate.

Whereas Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge is a bit posh and a bit distant. Not the sort of person who'd be friends with us. The sort of person who wears a tiara and rides in gilded carriages. She'd be too far above us.

Manipulation of the adoring public.

GG65 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:52:45

Alegrias1

Kate Middleton is just like us though, isn't she. Lovely Kate. Nice ordinary English girl. Could be our daughter. Good old Kate.

Whereas Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge is a bit posh and a bit distant. Not the sort of person who'd be friends with us. The sort of person who wears a tiara and rides in gilded carriages. She'd be too far above us.

Manipulation of the adoring public.

Ah, I never thought of it like this.

Interesting.

Kate1949 Fri 28-Jan-22 20:06:29

Why Kate? Why not Cate? There is no K in her name.

MiniMoon Fri 28-Jan-22 20:09:41

When Prince William is speaking of her, he always calls her Catherine.
It is very disrespectful to refer to the Duchess if Cambridge by her maiden name, let alone be Kate.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-Jan-22 20:11:07

Lazy sloppy journalism, looking for click bait/sound bites

Alegrias1 Fri 28-Jan-22 20:14:17

Not lazy or sloppy, I think.

Very deliberate.

Lizbethann55 Fri 28-Jan-22 20:17:37

Calendar girl. Quite right. Sorry. Forgot about that!!

MissAdventure Fri 28-Jan-22 20:18:47

Perhaps she wanted to keep her own name.

Anniebach Fri 28-Jan-22 20:32:43

Ex duchess of York was referred to as Fergie

Kate is often used to shorten Katherine , Catherine

Iam64 Fri 28-Jan-22 20:35:16

I still have the name I was registered, then Christened under. Been married forty years. Never felt the need to adopt my husband’s name.. he didn’t want to take
Mine either
It’s a strange British thing this giving up your name on marriage

Josieann Fri 28-Jan-22 20:59:44

I assume Kate was what she was called at school because one of her teachers at Marlborough College called her by that name when she was interviewed. Maybe it stuck with her at uni too because there's the famous quote by William, "Kate's hot!" when she wore the see through dress. Also Meghan referred to her as Kate at least 3 times in the Oprah interview.
Grace Kelly was always referred to as such, not Grace Grimaldi. Carla Bruni didn't become Madame Sarkozy. Meghan Markle etc. Maiden names ames stick, especially in reporting. I don't think there is any significance.

MayBee70 Fri 28-Jan-22 21:05:34

I always think of her as Kate Middleton.

Deedaa Fri 28-Jan-22 21:09:44

My son in law took my daughter's surname when they married. She and her brother were the last two people in this country who could pass this name on whereas my son in law was one of 13 children.

Grace Kelly was normally referred to as Princess Grace.

poshpaws Fri 28-Jan-22 21:33:58

I can't honestly find the energy to care what's she's called.