Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that Kurt Zouma should be banned from keeping animals after abusing his cat?

(291 Posts)
DeeJaysMum Fri 11-Feb-22 17:08:06

Just that really.

I know someone who used to be a (hobby) cat breeder and had trouble with local kids who poisoned/killed a couple of their cats.

They involved the rspca who, because they couldn't 'prove exactly' which youth had done it, prosecuted them for not keeping their cats safe (despite them being on their property, in a locked pen and behind 2 locked gates).

The rspca seized this person's cats, went to court 9 months later, asked the court to make the breeder pay boarding fees for 14 cats for 9 months and to give them a ban. Fortunately the boarding fees weren't upheld but a fine and a ban for 5yrs was imposed.

This was a respectable breeder who followed all legislation and GCCF (cat version of Kennel Club) rules and did absolutely nothing wrong.

When I look at the abuse that Zouma committed, then compare it with this breeder, imo he deserves, at the very least, the same punishment handed down to the breeder.

The fact that he is a famous footballer should not mean that he or his pets should be treated any differently to the rest of us. His pets deserve to be treated with respect (the same as yours and mine) and he deserves to be punished in exactly the same way as anyone else would be.

Thoughts..

Shinamae Sun 20-Feb-22 11:47:52

Urmstongran

It’s brilliant isn’t it Shinamae! ?

I imagine it went hey heyyyyy zouma l wanna nooooooo why you kicked that cat… and that is the perfect song for it…

Sarnia Sun 20-Feb-22 12:48:12

My team play West Ham in the FA Cup on 2nd March. I sincerely hope I can rely on my fellow supporters to give Zouma hell.

Iam64 Sun 20-Feb-22 14:03:43

I’m speculating unkindly here but I hope his ‘illness’ last week was fear of facing the chants. Football chants can be so accurate and entertaining. I can’t see any opposing team not thoroughly enjoying singing to him

Shinamae Sun 20-Feb-22 20:48:21

Iam64

I’m speculating unkindly here but I hope his ‘illness’ last week was fear of facing the chants. Football chants can be so accurate and entertaining. I can’t see any opposing team not thoroughly enjoying singing to him

You reap what you sow….. goodness me there’s me sounding a little bit religious there ?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 21-Feb-22 08:34:57

I didn’t think for a moment that he was ill, just scared. Cowardly bully.

Smileless2012 Mon 21-Feb-22 14:51:43

Shows that the weight of public opinion being against him id having the desired effectsmile.

Gongoozler Mon 21-Feb-22 15:31:40

Just glad to see this thread still running.

Callistemon21 Mon 21-Feb-22 15:38:36

I wonder how the cat is.

I hope it didn't have any broken bones.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 21-Feb-22 15:39:32

I would be amazed if it hadn’t been injured by the kick.

Iam64 Mon 21-Feb-22 16:55:29

The cats were removed as part of the RSPCA investigation. At the time, the RSPCA confirmed they could be returned at a future date. I posted on an earlier thread, I wouldn’t be surprised if previous/current injuries were found. It’s also possible the cats are not at ease around people.
No one smacks a cat out of his small child’s arms, the kicks and chases the terrified creature ‘for entertainment’ unless psychologically they’re extremely flawed. I still don’t believe this behaviour is a one off

Smileless2012 Mon 21-Feb-22 16:59:18

Surely if there's evidence of previous injuries Iam they wont be returned?

Iam64 Mon 21-Feb-22 17:02:48

And I hope he’d be prosecuted Smiles
I hope he’s prosecuted for the assault on that cat
I hope his child and partner are safe

Smileless2012 Mon 21-Feb-22 17:03:57

I have the same hopes Iam and would add that he's never allowed to own an animal again.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 21-Feb-22 18:20:03

If he's prosecuted, and I sincerely hope he will be, I doubt that on the evidence we currently have he will be given a lifetime, or anything approaching that, ban on keeping animals. I know that's what we would all like, but judging by past cases of cruelty and neglect (sometimes I wish I wasn't an RSPCA supporter as I see some dreadful things) I think that, realistically, it's very unlikely. The court may even order the return of the cats. I really, really hope they don't.

Shinamae Mon 21-Feb-22 21:38:03

I really don’t understand with the video evidence how the RSPCA can possibly return the cats to his “care” I have read quite a few bad things about the RSPCA, I think I said up thread about a lady who worked for them for many years and then came away from them because she did not like the way the money was being used and she set up her own little animal rescue and she’s still going… seems like the RSPCA might be a toothless tiger..

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 09:25:24

They can only keep the cats if he agrees or a court orders it. He is clearly guilty but you may depend he will have a good lawyer.

Iam64 Tue 22-Feb-22 09:45:31

Prosecutions for animal abuse or neglect are vanishingly rare
I believe without the public pressure as a result of the video shared on line, the RSPCA would have done nothing

Shinamae Tue 22-Feb-22 09:49:28

Germanshepherdsmum

They can only keep the cats if he agrees or a court orders it. He is clearly guilty but you may depend he will have a good lawyer.

But surely even the best lawyer cannot argue with the video evidence GM? I believe you were a lawyer so you obviously do know more than me but it’s just astonishing if a lawyer can talk his way out of this with the evidence in front of his eyes ?‍♀️?‍♀️

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 09:58:29

He's definitely guilty, no lawyer could argue otherwise shinamae unless he were found to be insane, or unable to control his actions, which obviously isn't the case with a world class footballer. But then comes the clever plea in mitigation in order to make the sentence as painless as possible - including what happens to the cats.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 09:59:48

I agree Iam. It's only public pressure which will get the RSPCA to do anything. I sometimes wonder why I support them and am seriously reconsidering the legacy I'm leaving in my will.

Shinamae Tue 22-Feb-22 10:01:42

What’s a lawyer going to say? “He was only stroking the cat with his foot”…..?‍♀️

Shinamae Tue 22-Feb-22 10:03:05

Germanshepherdsmum

I agree Iam. It's only public pressure which will get the RSPCA to do anything. I sometimes wonder why I support them and am seriously reconsidering the legacy I'm leaving in my will.

I am leaving some money to dogs trust it’s not a lot but that’s who I would leave mine to if not that it would be cat protection

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 10:08:09

shinamae, a good lawyer will say what a devastating effect this has had on the whole family, how remorseful Zouma is, how the scales have dropped from his eyes and he will never do such a terrible thing again, how the family are totally broken and the children's lives will be irreparably damaged if they are deprived of their beloved pets. Etc etc etc. And that's just off the top of my head as a lawyer who didn't do criminal work. He will probably employ a QC who does this sort of thing every day, pulling rabbits out of hats.

Shinamae Tue 22-Feb-22 10:20:25

Germanshepherdsmum

*shinamae*, a good lawyer will say what a devastating effect this has had on the whole family, how remorseful Zouma is, how the scales have dropped from his eyes and he will never do such a terrible thing again, how the family are totally broken and the children's lives will be irreparably damaged if they are deprived of their beloved pets. Etc etc etc. And that's just off the top of my head as a lawyer who didn't do criminal work. He will probably employ a QC who does this sort of thing every day, pulling rabbits out of hats.

I would say the children were irreparably damaged when they witnessed the abuse of the cat and having the cat slapped out of a child’s arms but I bow to your superior knowledge GM. Let’s just keep the pressure up even if it’s only on our little thread on Gransnet…

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 10:25:38

I would agree with you shinamae but the lawyer will be paid to say how devastated they all are, how they haven't been able to sleep without the cats, all sorts of rubbish.