Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think this is odd in view of what’s already been said

(166 Posts)
Pammie1 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:16:46

News has just broken that Prince Andrew has settled out of court with Virginia Giuffre Two things puzzle me. Andrew has vehemently stated his innocence and opted for trial by jury (although Virginia Giuffre opted for this as the plaintiff, so I don’t think he had much choice) so what does he have to gain by settling ? And Giuffre has always been adamant that it wasn’t about money, but that she wanted to prove that no one was above the law. What do we think changed ?

Beswitched Mon 28-Feb-22 21:20:46

M0nica

I think we forget that PA's behaviour caused collateral damage in his own family. His daughters have had to see all the sleaze and details of his unseemly life plastered all over the papers.

I think it remarkable that these daughters of two such totally dysfunctional adults they seem to have turned out, so very well and face up to the world with such equanimity.

They seem to have inherited the steely self-possession when confronting disaster that the Queen has.

I often think that about Princess Margaret's children. She and her husband seemed to have little or nothing in the way of morals, and mixed with a pretty sleazy crowd. Margaret was also unbelievably arrogant and self entitled.
Yet their son and daughter appear to be stable, modest and grounded people, who keep out of the limelight and make no big deal out of their royal connections.

nadateturbe Mon 28-Feb-22 10:51:36

NDA (No Debate on Andrew): MPs blocked from investigating whether public money was used to fund Duke of York's £12m settlement by ancient custom barring discussion of royals in Parliament.

Atqui Mon 28-Feb-22 09:50:56

Bridgeit

This particular unsavoury behaviour upsets us because we expect better from men, especially those who have power & wealth,……. Even more so if they have daughters of their own….
It is unforgivable to treat another human as of no consequence.

I think most of us don’t know what goes on with wealthy and powerful men ( even with daughters of their own!) Aren’t there hundreds of prostitutes all over the country? Who are their clients? What goes on at corporate events where attractive young women are bought in for entertainment ? Best not to dwell on it.

nadateturbe Mon 28-Feb-22 09:27:08

Indeed.

JaneJudge Mon 28-Feb-22 09:18:16

hmm convenient ancient laws

nadateturbe Mon 28-Feb-22 09:09:24

www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10558775/amp/MPs-blocked-investigating-public-money-used-fund-Prince-Andrews-12m-settlement.html

Bridgeit Tue 22-Feb-22 20:34:11

This particular unsavoury behaviour upsets us because we expect better from men, especially those who have power & wealth,……. Even more so if they have daughters of their own….
It is unforgivable to treat another human as of no consequence.

M0nica Tue 22-Feb-22 19:28:18

Petera What is known as the age of consent is 16 in the UK. At that age it is accepted that a person can give informed consent to sexual intercourse or other activity with another person over that age as well. The exception is where one of the two parties involved has some authority over the 16 year old - a teacher or guardian or the like, in which case it is illegal until the person is 18.

Here is a link to what ages children are entitled, or allowed to do various things lawstuff.org.uk/at-what-age-can-i/at-what-age-timeline/

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 14:57:49

Petera. You are conflating the issue here. Whether someone is classed as a child until 18 or 80 it’s irrelevant when discussing whether it’s criminal to have sexual relations with a girl of 17 in this country. It isn’t and to do so doesn’t make that person a paedophile. Therefore, as I stated upthread, in law it does matter.

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 14:37:02

No the papers are wrong to use the word paedophile, and the NSPCC is also wrong if they're conflating the definitions.

JaneJudge Tue 22-Feb-22 14:36:40

I have posted the correct definitions on the other page

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 14:33:21

The NSPCC are, in this instance, wrong if those two definitions are intended to be conflated. I was engaged to my first husband at 17. He may have been many things but paedophile wasn’t one of them.

Petera Tue 22-Feb-22 14:28:04

Germanshepherdsmum

No. Definitely not in this country.

So can you then reconcile these statements, the first from several dictionsries, the second from the NSPCC (or are the NSPCC wrong)?

Paedophile: someone who is sexually attracted to children

Child: in England someone who has not yet reached their 18th birthday.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 14:21:14

No. Definitely not in this country.

Petera Tue 22-Feb-22 14:19:48

Smileless2012

I'm sure we are all aware of the definition of a child Petera as we are all aware that it is not an act of paedophilia to have consensual sex with an untrafficked person between the ages of 16 and 18.

So back to the question then: in this case, are newspapers correct in using the word paedophile?

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 14:12:10

I'm sure we are all aware of the definition of a child Petera as we are all aware that it is not an act of paedophilia to have consensual sex with an untrafficked person between the ages of 16 and 18.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 14:11:11

Under English law the age of consent for consensual sex is 16 but the age at which one ceases to be a minor and achieves majority is 18. A ‘child’ has various definitions under different statutes.

Petera Tue 22-Feb-22 13:46:11

tickingbird

*The age of consent and the age when you stop being a child are two different things*

Not in law.

Yes in law. I'm sure GSM, as an ex-lawyer, can confirm.

And I repeat in even more detail:

^England

In England a child is defined as anyone who has not yet reached their 18th birthday. Child protection guidance points out that even if a child has reached 16 years of age and is:

living independently
in further education
a member of the armed forces
in hospital; or
in custody in the secure estate

they are still legally children and should be given the same protection and entitlements as any other child (Department for Education, 2018a).^

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 13:38:49

Exactly Petera they are different, so they should not be conflated when talking about paedophilia and consensual sex. Anyone having consensual sex with someone of the age of 16, who has not been trafficked, is not breaking the law so cannot be classed as a paedophile.

MissAdventure Tue 22-Feb-22 13:38:01

I didn't imagine you would be defending him, tickingbird. smile

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:35:55

The age of consent and the age when you stop being a child are two different things

Not in law.

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:33:03

Miss Adventure. I’m not defending PA

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:32:01

and actually tickingbord I can as it breaks GN guidelines to single out a specific ethnic group (especially when it has nothing to do with the discussion)

It had everything to do with the discussion when someone quotes a law stating that a child is classified as such until the age of 18. I quite correctly asked why that can only be interpreted when discussing PA being a paedophile and why it isn’t causing such outrage when it’s common for Roma and other ethnicities to marry and have children when far younger, IN the UK.

Petera Tue 22-Feb-22 13:31:43

Smileless2012

The UN's definition of a child is immaterial Petera when in the UK the legal age of consent is 16.

I agree MissA that the age of someone known to have been trafficked for sex is irrelevant, because that is an illegal act.

Arghh..the definition in England is 18.

The age of consent and the age when you stop being a child are two different things.

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 13:28:22

Yes, good point tickingbird.