Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think this is odd in view of what’s already been said

(165 Posts)
Pammie1 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:16:46

News has just broken that Prince Andrew has settled out of court with Virginia Giuffre Two things puzzle me. Andrew has vehemently stated his innocence and opted for trial by jury (although Virginia Giuffre opted for this as the plaintiff, so I don’t think he had much choice) so what does he have to gain by settling ? And Giuffre has always been adamant that it wasn’t about money, but that she wanted to prove that no one was above the law. What do we think changed ?

Jaxjacky Tue 15-Feb-22 16:25:24

I would guess they both told lies.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Feb-22 16:28:26

I don't think anything has changed.
His payment is an admission of guilt, as far as I'm concerned, which is what she wanted.

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:32:20

I think you're right Jaxjacky when it comes to honesty, both are questionable.

If she really wanted him to be seen as being guilty MissA and he is, then why settle out of court.

Aveline Tue 15-Feb-22 16:33:45

I don't think he's guilty but just wanted to bring this to a full stop. Now she can go after all the men involved but who aren't high profile enough to be embarrassed into settling.

Pammie1 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:37:23

MissAdventure

His payment is an admission of guilt, as far as I'm concerned, which is what she wanted.

Hadn’t thought of it that way. It just seems a surprise after all the media coverage, interviews, etc. It was only a short time ago Andrew was denying any memory of ever having met Giuffre and now, as you say, this seems to be an admission of guilt on some level. I wondered whether some other evidence had come to light that his legal team weren’t too keen on being made public.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Feb-22 16:37:27

I think because she realised she can't compete with his lawyers and all the various means he has used to hold her at bay, to obstruct the case, to hide away, etc, smileless.

AGAA4 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:37:33

He has taken the easy way out. The RF wouldn't have wanted this dragged through the courts with a guilty charge at the end.
Although settling makes him look guilty there is always a shadow of doubt.

Petera Tue 15-Feb-22 16:37:52

MissAdventure

Also his payment is to her charity. I expect she'll be able to access this for reasonable expenses in running the charity; but it's hardly the bonanza that some people were claiming she was after.

Bridgeit Tue 15-Feb-22 16:38:18

What does PA gain by settling ? …..an end to this sad drawn out episode for all concerned…… although I’m probably being optimistic by using the word ‘END ‘

Pammie1 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:40:37

Aveline

I don't think he's guilty but just wanted to bring this to a full stop. Now she can go after all the men involved but who aren't high profile enough to be embarrassed into settling.

He didn’t think through the interview he gave with Sky News and if what you suggest is the case, he didn't think this through either because it implies guilt.

VioletSky Tue 15-Feb-22 16:42:42

If I was innocent with the very best lawyers at my disposal there is no way I would settle.

None.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Feb-22 16:43:38

In my vast experience of legal processes (meaning I watch a lot of youtube videos, so have none at all! ) civil cases are often the only redress people have, with regards to getting some sort of an admission, when the legal system is against them.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 15-Feb-22 16:46:52

It saves the case overshadowing the Queen’s Jubilee Year.
However VG said she wouldn’t settle - I suspect the famous photo suddenly having been lost, so not available for expert scrutiny, is not unconnected with her sudden willingness to settle. It brings her credibility into question once again.

Bridgeit Tue 15-Feb-22 16:47:31

It is draining & damaging to many others caught up in this , time to settle & move on.
There are only two people who know the absolute details .

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 15-Feb-22 16:47:55

VS if your mother was HM you might VS.

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:49:24

If it implies guilt it also implies deception on her part IMO. Why has she settled?

It appears as if one thing that has damaged her case is the disappearance of that photograph that PA's team are no longer able to have examined with regard to its authenticity.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:50:10

Germanshepherdsmum

It saves the case overshadowing the Queen’s Jubilee Year.
However VG said she wouldn’t settle - I suspect the famous photo suddenly having been lost, so not available for expert scrutiny, is not unconnected with her sudden willingness to settle. It brings her credibility into question once again.

No that is wrong. Windsor commends her bravery and accepts that she is a victim.

The reason for out of court settlement is because he was never going to court.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Feb-22 16:52:28

Why wouldn't she settle?
It's a civil case.
He isnt going to be dragged off to prison.
A lot of families of murder victims settle after the legal process has been found lacking.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 15-Feb-22 16:53:19

I don’t agree wwm, as I have just said to you on the other thread.

Peasblossom Tue 15-Feb-22 16:57:08

I think it means the photo was a fake and she knew that her case wouldn’t stand up in court.

And he knew that even if he could win against her a raft of other undesirable details would be made public.

They are both nasty pieces of work but I suppose you could say they’ve both got what they wanted.

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:58:00

Yes, he "accepts that she is a victim" but not his victim, there's a big difference.

VioletSky Tue 15-Feb-22 16:58:20

Germanshepherdsmum

VS if your mother was HM you might VS.

I wouldn't behave the way he does in general

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 15-Feb-22 17:00:40

Nothing has been proved, nor will it now.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Feb-22 17:01:28

Only in people's minds.
Which was the point, I think.