Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think it's cruel to have a house cat?

(176 Posts)
snowberryZ Wed 30-Mar-22 10:57:12

The people opposite have a cat who never goes out.
Every day its sat in the front window watching the world go by.
It makes me feel a bit sad that this poor cat is being curtailed from doing what cats should be doing.
OK it will probably have a long cosseted life, because it won't be facing the same risks that a cat with a normal life would face.
But if I were a cat I'd rather risk having a short exciting life than a long boring one stuck indoors, where there's no fresh air or sights, sounds and smells of nature.

My son and daughter in law have an indoor cat and their argument is
"but we've tried letting him out but he gets scared and runs straight back in"

So would I if I hadn't been out for a year!
I can remember feeling institutionalised from spending just 3 weeks in a hospital!
The world was a very scary noisy place at first.
I'm sure animals must get the same way.

Then there are the
"my cat is a rare breed and might get pinched" lot.
So I can kind of understand that, even though I still think it's cruel.

What do others think?

janipans Thu 31-Mar-22 17:02:48

The OP could be mistaken about the cat that she sees sitting in the window. It could be like our cat - a house cat by day (her choice - she has a cat flap!) but she will go out all night when she wants to. especially in the Summer.
My daughter has 2 cats - brothers - one goes out a lot, the other only goes out when he has to - again, their choice as they have a cat flap. I'll swear the one that stays in thinks he's human - he watched over the children as they slept in their cribs as babies and is a really loving, soppy cat.

suewoo Thu 31-Mar-22 17:15:30

I'm very happy with house cats - that way neighbours' cats don't come into our garden and c* everywhere! I also prefer birds in the wild. Friends have always had house cats and they have always been happy, contented and long-lived.

Sue450 Thu 31-Mar-22 17:35:37

We live in a 1st floor flat, our Oscar does not go out he has two towers one in the living room by the window and one in the bedroom by the window. Box of soft toys which we play with him with.
We live just off of shooters hill which is an extremely busy road
It goes from kent up to London so we don’t want him going out
onto that road, he wouldn’t stand a chance. He is quite content to look out the window.

Joesoap Thu 31-Mar-22 17:48:54

I have had cats although unfortunately not at present, I feel so sorry for house cats,I think its a cats nature to be outside, and do what cats do, even thought there are dangers lurking.
Let them be free to come and go as they wish, there are cat flaps after all.

Sparklefizz Thu 31-Mar-22 18:04:30

Shinamae

I have just recently got an eight week old kitten, he will be a house cat, since I’ve lived here I have had two cats run over and I am not willing to risk this one, I might let him out in my garden but then I think I would get a run for him …

He's absolutely adorable.

I have had 2 cats run over where I live, despite living in a small cul-de-sac, and couldn't bear to lose my last remaining cat so I've had my garden made secure with an idea I got from the Net. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you more details.

AuntyD Thu 31-Mar-22 18:35:57

I don't think it's cruel. I don't think it's ideal. Cats like being outdoors as a rule but there are those, like one I have now, which are not explorers and prefer indoors. She will venture out for short periods and that's all. Most of my cats (we are currently on numbers 12 & 13) have been free range. One disappeared, one was (probably) lost to a car, and another almost certainly was. Accidents happen and it's heartbreaking but the cats need freedom. Having said that, I have always kept mine in at night (controversial, I know) and I have known cats which were quite happy being indoors all the time. Rescue organisations advise keeping cats which are FIV positive indoors to avoid passing on the virus and these cats often live long and happy lives.

nightwriter Thu 31-Mar-22 19:06:41

domestic cats kill millions of birds each year

Smileless2012 Thu 31-Mar-22 19:13:51

Of course it isn't cruel. Why would people who adore their cats have them as house cats if doing so is cruel?

Fennel Thu 31-Mar-22 19:17:56

I haven't read the whole thread so don't know if it has been mentioned, but there's a new series on tv BBC 4 Dog Tales and Cat tales. First pisode about dogs, next about cats.
When were in France we had a cat who was about 15 when we left. Our piece of land was her home and I thought she will never settle in an urban area. Luckily our new owners agreed to keep her and she befriended their toonie cat. And is still going strong.

Beeb Thu 31-Mar-22 19:39:24

My cat loving friends have www.protectapet.com - cat proof fencing that keeps cats safe within their owners garden - reduces owners anxiety, reduces predation on birds, stops cats pooping in neighbours gardens, keeps cats safe from traffic, dogs, & other cats. A house cat can still live a happy healthy life if the owner puts in the effort taking time to play with them providing stimulation/exercise , and does “catification”of the house with high shelves/walkways/ climbing posts,etc. Cat flap cats make easy pets but is that the best for the cat and the environment? Cats are individuals as are their owners, so one size doesn’t fit all.

leeds22 Thu 31-Mar-22 20:20:57

snowberryZ

Thoro

Nesting birds think house cats are great!

I think cats should be made to wear a bell during nesting season. It would give some birds a chance. If not all.

I think cats should wear bells all year round, particularly my neighbour's predatory tom.

Pudding123 Thu 31-Mar-22 20:40:33

I have a cat who is now 14 when she was younger she wandered into our back garden but never stayed out for more than about 30 minutes,she now rarely ventures out so no I do not think it is cruel to keep a house cat,they are loved and kept warm and safe if indoors.

GreenGran78 Thu 31-Mar-22 21:23:05

It seems that it's a case of 'never the twain shall meet' judging by the entrenched opinions from both sides. I have had many cats, though none for a long time, and they have all been outside cats. They all survived to ripe old age. It seems that some cats are perfectly happy to stay at home, so it's just a case of what suits the animal
I'm Cat Sitting my neighbours' cats for a few days. This involves letting them out in the morning and back in the evening for supper and bed. They have a cosy den in the garden if the weather is cold. They are rescue cats. One is missing a back leg. The other has a neurological condition which means that she walks in a very shaky way. Both can scale the 8ft garden fence with ease, and love to be outdoors.

Shizam Thu 31-Mar-22 21:24:36

Think cats are big fans of indoor life if they’re looked after well. I’m also a fan of them not killing birds. Not their fault, prey drive. But better if birds can get on with surviving and cats looking out of windows. ?

Greciangirl Thu 31-Mar-22 22:21:43

Yes. It’s not natural to keep them cooped up.

If you can’t or won’t let your cat out, then don’t have one.

Seakay Thu 31-Mar-22 23:02:00

It's very easy to spot/hear a cat which is being kept in against their will - they will scratch up everything in sight and yowl incessantly.
Some cats don't want to go out.
Like people, cats vary in their wishes.
Claiming that you know what they would like because "if I were an animal that's what I'd want" is speculative, inappropriate, unhelpful and has no basis in fact.

Alice8soul Thu 31-Mar-22 23:36:31

This is an interesting discussion. I do not live in the U.K. Here it is illegal to let your cat roam. Although one occasionally sees a loose cat, it is strongly discouraged.

Chinesecrested Thu 31-Mar-22 23:54:25

At least if a cat is kept indoors, the local wildlife is safe. Birds, voles, shrews, lizards all live to fight another day if the cats are kept indoors.

Daisydaisydaisy Fri 01-Apr-22 10:58:18

I used to have 2 Ragdoll cats that were quite docile in a good way and yes they could have easily been stolen ..naturally they did go into the garden when We did.smile

tictacnana Fri 01-Apr-22 11:16:45

My late OH’s grandson lives in an apartment block and has a house at. They are out all day. I think that it’s cruel .

Suehappynana Fri 01-Apr-22 16:08:42

My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but pops out to check around. She usually lets herself in and out as she can open doors....when I first got her (as a rescue cat at 9 months old), I had a catflap installed. She took it to bits in about 4 weeks. The replacement was dismantled within a few days and the final one within hours.....at which point the panel was removed and the previous moulded one replaced.
My cat gets very anxious if I am not around to let her back in - it doesn't often happen that she's still out when I have to go out, but on the rare occasions it has, she's at the door as soon as I return home.

snowberryZ Sat 02-Apr-22 18:14:43

Daisydaisydaisy

I used to have 2 Ragdoll cats that were quite docile in a good way and yes they could have easily been stolen ..naturally they did go into the garden when We did.smile

Ragdolls are beautiful ?

ourjude Sat 02-Apr-22 19:47:23

My current cat has almost 3 acres to roam around in - if he so chooses. He rarely does go out - perhaps once or twice a day for about 1/2 hour each time - his choice.

We may be moving (fingers crossed!) to a more rural area and on a cul-de-sac. If we do, the garden will have cat-proof fencing put up. This is because there is a very popular dog-walking area adjacent to the new house and, with it being common land, people rarely have the dogs on leads. So, to be on the safe side, (I have lost a cat to dog attack and the cat was on my property at the time!) I'd rather keep him contained to the garden - although said garden is over an acre in size so I don't think he'll be complaining too much!

I know a lot of people with cats who have either cat-proofed their fencing or built 'catios' for their little 'darlings'. Both, to my mind, give the cat the opportunity to express natural behaviours whilst keeping them safe from theft or accident.

Not sure if I agree with a cat being an indoor cat if it is healthy. I realise that for some (eg FIV positive) it is the only option other than euthanasia but for the rest...

MissAdventure Sat 02-Apr-22 19:51:37

I like to see cats roaming around, being cats.
I think they can have a 5 mile area that they frequent.

Keeping them in is like keeping wild animals as pets, to my mind.

Unless they want to stay in, of course.

Nanawind Sat 02-Apr-22 19:54:08

A man around the corner takes his cats out on leads.