Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think it's cruel to have a house cat?

(176 Posts)
snowberryZ Wed 30-Mar-22 10:57:12

The people opposite have a cat who never goes out.
Every day its sat in the front window watching the world go by.
It makes me feel a bit sad that this poor cat is being curtailed from doing what cats should be doing.
OK it will probably have a long cosseted life, because it won't be facing the same risks that a cat with a normal life would face.
But if I were a cat I'd rather risk having a short exciting life than a long boring one stuck indoors, where there's no fresh air or sights, sounds and smells of nature.

My son and daughter in law have an indoor cat and their argument is
"but we've tried letting him out but he gets scared and runs straight back in"

So would I if I hadn't been out for a year!
I can remember feeling institutionalised from spending just 3 weeks in a hospital!
The world was a very scary noisy place at first.
I'm sure animals must get the same way.

Then there are the
"my cat is a rare breed and might get pinched" lot.
So I can kind of understand that, even though I still think it's cruel.

What do others think?

MissAdventure Sat 02-Apr-22 20:08:27

Have you seen the man who is biking around the world with his cat in the basket at the front?

He didnt set out to, but found her dumped at the road side. smile

Callistemon21 Sat 02-Apr-22 20:43:07

MissAdventure

I like to see cats roaming around, being cats.
I think they can have a 5 mile area that they frequent.

Keeping them in is like keeping wild animals as pets, to my mind.

Unless they want to stay in, of course.

The thing about cats is that they do like wildlife.
Particularly bluetits, robins etc

You can tell I'm not a cat lover
I don't mind them but.......

GagaJo Sat 02-Apr-22 21:26:10

When I used to have outside cats, at one point, I had 4. My circumstances changed and I had to move into a rented house. Our neighbour hated my cats. Pooing in his garden etc. Then he realised one of my cats was a ratter who started to decimate the local rat population. Instantly, my moggies could do no wrong.

Other than the time the ratter (who was a big old boy) sat on the radio in the kichen while I was away overnight, and accidentally turned it on. Dance music blasting out for 24 hours. Not that the neighbour believed it was a cat!

Callistemon21 Sat 02-Apr-22 21:35:49

Oh, if only they just caught rodents I'd love them ?

Ning74 Sat 02-Apr-22 22:17:21

Cats are for outdoors not indoors. Their natural instinct is for exploring climbing etc and I consider it unfair on a cat to contain them inside just because that is what their humans want.

MissAdventure Sat 02-Apr-22 22:19:31

It reminds me of those fools who keep monkeys as pets.
Yes, they are well kept, yes, they'll live much longer in captivity, but they are monkeys, not dolls.

Aveline Sun 03-Apr-22 06:35:13

Like us you mean? Humans used to live outside and hunt too? Dogs evolved from wolves. Maybe dogs should run in packs these days as well. Domestication happens. ?

Chardy Sun 03-Apr-22 07:22:44

A lot of these posts seem to be 'Well I think it's not right'.
Does anyone have any actual evidence of cats that have never left the house being miserable?

BlueBelle Sun 03-Apr-22 07:46:23

I hate cats pooing in my garden BUT. I hate more cats being confined to houses Cages in the garden are even worse because they show a cat what they are missing They don’t need fresh air they need adventures, they need to climb, jump crouch, they need to interact with other cats, and yes they need to chase birds frogs etc they need to learn about danger
If you live on a main road or an unsafe area choose a different pet
The exception of course is if you take on an ill or disabled cat
that wouldn’t be able to look after itself outside then you are it’s safety net

Imagine sitting at your window day in and day out watching all your friends having fun outside

A cat needs freedom to follow its instincts and if they have a good home they will stay with you
Yes some will get run over or come off worse in a fight but that’s called life

Those that confine their cats because a b or c might happen are doing it for their own peace of mind not for the good of the animal

Yes Missadventure I totally agree

A cat (nor a monkey) are not humans playthings buy a doll

Aveline Sun 03-Apr-22 10:16:18

Well I disagree BlueBelle! I can only assume you've missed all points made by owners of contented house cats. I've had both ones that went outside and those that don't. All were fine apart from the ones that disappeared.

Ohnoyoudont Mon 04-Apr-22 20:33:06

After losing 3 cats, one was ripped apart by 2 dogs, one got poisoned and the last one got attacked by a dog. I will keep my cats in the house. Also cats wearing a bell means they have to wear a collar and they can be dangerous to the cat. Breakaway collars don't always break.
I am sure there's a part of Australia where cats aren't allowed out.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 20:37:08

I wouldn't have a cat if I lived in that part of Australia.

I don't have a cat now, because I live near a road.

Chardy Tue 05-Apr-22 07:31:59

I clearly remember next door's cat, who I loved and played with as a kid, lying dead and bloodied in the road. I'm a firm believer in having pets to teach children about birth, life and death, but I wouldn't want my DC or DGD to have seen that.
Similarly I remember my friend's children sobbing because they'd found their cat hanged by its collar in the field at the back of their garden.

SuzyG Mon 11-Apr-22 12:44:32

I'm just not sure why humans think they have the right to decide.

Aveline Mon 11-Apr-22 14:48:03

Why do humans have pets? Keep dogs of all breeds, horses, cows etc etc.
What would the alternative be? How dare we mess about with plants and trees?

Blossoming Mon 11-Apr-22 15:16:28

Imagine sitting at your window day in and day out watching all your friends having fun outside

I don’t have to imagine it, I’m living it.

SuzyG Mon 11-Apr-22 16:01:56

Yes, why do they have pets?

AGAA4 Mon 11-Apr-22 16:12:20

My friend's cat brings baby birds into the house. I find it sad but it is their nature to hunt. Her other cat won't leave the house even though he can.
My DD has given a home to an elderly cat who is perfectly happy on the windowsill looking out.

SuzyG Mon 11-Apr-22 16:36:44

I'm so sorry Blossoming. sad

Smurf52 Mon 18-Apr-22 18:37:59

My son’s ex partner in Canada has five indoor cats. She says the local Raccoons can attack and kill cats. I personally don’t think it’s right to have cats just to keep them indoors, as they are outdoor animals.

StoneofDestiny Fri 22-Apr-22 18:53:44

On local sites there are regularly posts about cats lying dead on the street or about cats missing. I guess owners take their choice about how they keep them - but I do wish they'd find ways to keep them from shitting in other peoples gardens - cat nappies maybe?

Spice101 Sat 23-Apr-22 06:03:08

It may well be cruel to have a house cat but IMO it is irresponsible to allow a cat - or any other pet- you own roam freely around the neighbourhood.

AussieNanna Sat 23-Apr-22 13:44:30

Ohnoyoudont

After losing 3 cats, one was ripped apart by 2 dogs, one got poisoned and the last one got attacked by a dog. I will keep my cats in the house. Also cats wearing a bell means they have to wear a collar and they can be dangerous to the cat. Breakaway collars don't always break.
I am sure there's a part of Australia where cats aren't allowed out.

Yes,many parts of Australia in fact.
Council by laws saying cats must be confined to your property, either inside or in a cat run.
Cats are not part of the natural biosystem here and do immense damage to indiginous flora and fauna.

AussieNanna Sat 23-Apr-22 13:49:55

snowberryZ

I wonder why there aren't more house dogs?
Who decided that it's important for a dog not be kept caged up inside a house all its life but OK to do it to a cat?
Cats and dogs all have four legs so surely access to the outdoors is important to both cats and dogs?

Well, probably because most dogs can't scale fences so you can let them out into your garden and they stay on your property.

I have a little dog, mostly an inside dog. We have a dog flap, she can get herself outside - but stays in most of the time anyway.
She does get taken for walks on lead. I guess you could do that with a cat.

Grannie06 Sun 22-May-22 21:19:39

I think it's cruel to keep cats indoors all the time. More so if the family are out all day. My cat only goes in the garden but has a cat flap and can go where she likes. We have a large garden so has plenty of variety.