Gransnet forums

AIBU

To have enjoyed watching ‘Grease’ on BBC1 on Sunday afternoon

(126 Posts)
Pammie1 Wed 06-Apr-22 12:41:00

I enjoyed watching the film ‘Grease’ on Sunday afternoon - it brought back memories of a lovely time in my life. I was concerned to find that the following day, according to several newspapers there was a storm of protest on Twitter calling the film misogynistic and all manner of other accusations - ultimately calling for it to be banned from transmission on TV. Is this what we’ve come to ?

Allsorts Mon 18-Apr-22 16:30:28

The one scene in the car was horrible, but I’ve seen the film several times as I liked it, I only discovered in the last few years it was a rape scene, never realised it back in the day.

Grannyeggs Mon 18-Apr-22 16:27:19

No, not unreasonable at all. DH had hardly watched any films before we met 18 years ago ( we are second time arounders). And so I’ve been educating him by watching films made in the 70s and eighties, Grease included. We have also watched Airplane, Trading Places Naked Gun and many more. And yes attitudes have changed but they were set in the past , most of them couldn’t be made now but great fun to watch.

Clawdy Sun 17-Apr-22 19:59:57

As mentioned by a previous poster, at the end they both dress to look different, Danny is wearing a rather geeky cardigan to change his image! Although he does whip it off....grin

effalump Wed 13-Apr-22 11:32:08

Noooo! You're not being unreasonable. I have some feel-good films that I watch when I feel down. There's too many dystopian films on tv these days.

happycatholicwife1 Sat 09-Apr-22 23:41:16

Misadventure, you win Gransnet for the day.?

Pammie1 Sat 09-Apr-22 20:47:39

volver

Is that why it was on an obscure channel on a Friday afternoon? Or because absolutely nobody bothered to think about it?

Actually, come to think of it, I don't think we should ban anything, but I do think people should be aware that just because we thought it was OK 40 years ago it might not be OK today.

Why should they think about it, it’s just a film. People may have been influenced by film stars and what was depicted onscreen in the past, but I doubt that happens now - we’re more likely to be disgusted and outraged at the excesses. Banning things wholesale will eventually rob people of the ability to think for themselves and decide what’s right and wrong - we’ll get to the point where the decision will already have been made for them.

NannaFirework Sat 09-Apr-22 20:18:55

? Grease IS the word!

Gotanewlife20 Sat 09-Apr-22 19:57:48

I think the Pope would batter the DL as he would just stand there and turn the other cheek.

volver Sat 09-Apr-22 17:17:18

Has he watched "Unforgiven" with Clint Eastwood Fanny?

FannyCornforth Sat 09-Apr-22 17:12:18

Oh no. I realise that I’ve put my foot in it (again)
What I mean, is that we (he) will watch a film, and then be surprised by its content.

Blondiescot Sat 09-Apr-22 17:11:36

volver

Is that why it was on an obscure channel on a Friday afternoon? Or because absolutely nobody bothered to think about it?

Actually, come to think of it, I don't think we should ban anything, but I do think people should be aware that just because we thought it was OK 40 years ago it might not be OK today.

I agree with that last paragraph completely. Things may well be of their time - and I don't think they should be banned - but we need to recognise that they often depict things or situations which may well have been considered acceptable years ago, but seem problematic now.

FannyCornforth Sat 09-Apr-22 17:09:59

volver Westerns are my husband’s comfort viewing (alas)
But the misogyny and violence towards women is absolutely off the scale.
DH agrees btw smile
I know that this is a controversial view, but I do think that we’ve come a long way.

volver Sat 09-Apr-22 16:57:24

Pammie1 Sat 09-Apr-22 16:50:53

volver

Couple of weeks ago I was visiting elderly relatives and there was a B&W war film on TV. No idea what film it was. John Wayne was in it as well. But Kirk Douglas was forcing himself on a young woman on the beach, despite her saying no. He was one of the heroes, not a villain.

So yes indeed, let's think of banning all the films that had nothing wrong with them.

But again, the film was of its’ time and has to be viewed in context.

Harris27 Sat 09-Apr-22 16:45:46

Ridiculous I loved it!

volver Sat 09-Apr-22 16:40:59

Couple of weeks ago I was visiting elderly relatives and there was a B&W war film on TV. No idea what film it was. John Wayne was in it as well. But Kirk Douglas was forcing himself on a young woman on the beach, despite her saying no. He was one of the heroes, not a villain.

So yes indeed, let's think of banning all the films that had nothing wrong with them.

songstress60 Sat 09-Apr-22 16:36:51

i love Grease, and fail to see how anyone can be offended by it.
Alot of wussy, marred people in the world that's all I can say, and I am a BIG fan of musicals.

missdeke Sat 09-Apr-22 16:34:09

If they ban Grease they would have to ban virtually every old film with romance in them, they were all mysogynistic in their way. Just made in accordance with their day and absolutely nothing wrong with them. I too sat and watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Mine Sat 09-Apr-22 15:53:29

O my goodness some people should lighten up....I can imagine all teen boys spoke like this in the 70s....Thing is we never had sex at the drop of a hat then...I remember friends asking each other "did he try anything"....Think the film was just a sign of the times...Know I loved it way back then....

Forestflame Sat 09-Apr-22 15:18:01

Love this film and enjoyed watching it on Sunday. You have to take some things with a pinch of salt and not take it too seri.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 09-Apr-22 14:52:30

Blossoming

It is misogynistic, with the central message being that Sandy has to turn herself into a tarty male fantasy to ‘win her man’. A lot of old films are misogynistic.

I don’t like musicals, but it’s your choice if you want to watch it.

But Danny also turned himself into a clean cut college type to appeal to Sandy didn’t he.

Musicgirl Sat 09-Apr-22 14:52:23

I was thirteen when Grease came out and went with a group of friends to watch it at the cinema. We loved the song Summer Nights and wrote to Terry Wogan to suggest it was played every morning on his programme. Our letter was read out and we basked in our brief moment of fame at school. He only played it on his programme once, though.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 09-Apr-22 14:50:05

Pammie1

I enjoyed watching the film ‘Grease’ on Sunday afternoon - it brought back memories of a lovely time in my life. I was concerned to find that the following day, according to several newspapers there was a storm of protest on Twitter calling the film misogynistic and all manner of other accusations - ultimately calling for it to be banned from transmission on TV. Is this what we’ve come to ?

That’s exactly what Martin Kemp wondered after watching it with his son Roman on Gogglebox a few months ago. He said to Roman ‘ watch this being banned before we know it”
It’s an enjoyable period piece, set in the 50s for heavens sake.
Some people will complain about anything!

Smileless2012 Sat 09-Apr-22 14:02:53

It's on now on channel 4sevensmile.

Ellymae Sat 09-Apr-22 13:24:37

Lovely carefree film, and who has never dressed up to be more attractive male or femail