Gransnet forums

AIBU

To have enjoyed watching ‘Grease’ on BBC1 on Sunday afternoon

(125 Posts)
Pammie1 Wed 06-Apr-22 12:41:00

I enjoyed watching the film ‘Grease’ on Sunday afternoon - it brought back memories of a lovely time in my life. I was concerned to find that the following day, according to several newspapers there was a storm of protest on Twitter calling the film misogynistic and all manner of other accusations - ultimately calling for it to be banned from transmission on TV. Is this what we’ve come to ?

eazybee Wed 06-Apr-22 12:50:19

Yes, utterly stupid.
It was of its time and accepted as such.
Rather like trying to ban performances of music by dead Russian composers for crimes committed now.

MerylStreep Wed 06-Apr-22 12:51:47

Pammiel
I’m afraid it is. ? But, you have to speak out against it wherever/ whenever you can.

Urmstongran Wed 06-Apr-22 12:52:21

Twitter? Pah, ignore them they’re so full of their own self importance! I’m not sure they don’t just wind one another up. I think there’s a lot of bitter comments on it (from what friends tell me). She also thinks alcohol taken during the evening adds to the toxicity! We all have an opinion. Value yours.
?

Blossoming Wed 06-Apr-22 12:52:43

It is misogynistic, with the central message being that Sandy has to turn herself into a tarty male fantasy to ‘win her man’. A lot of old films are misogynistic.

I don’t like musicals, but it’s your choice if you want to watch it.

Urmstongran Wed 06-Apr-22 12:54:02

I’d better stop wearing my make up then Blossoming. And I’ve just bought a new eyeliner too!
?

Granny23 Wed 06-Apr-22 12:55:03

Grease was of it's time, in common with most old movies. It is remembered chiefly for the music, so if people want to ban the film they should also ban the music. In fact why don't they call for the banning of all 60's pop music (except instrumentals) as most of the lyrics are sexist by today's standards. I think it is useful for today's young people to see for themselves the standards that applied then, so that they can appriciate how things have changed for the better.

Lucca Wed 06-Apr-22 12:55:37

Urmstongran

Twitter? Pah, ignore them they’re so full of their own self importance! I’m not sure they don’t just wind one another up. I think there’s a lot of bitter comments on it (from what friends tell me). She also thinks alcohol taken during the evening adds to the toxicity! We all have an opinion. Value yours.
?

What? Everyone on the whole Twitter?

It is misogynistic. “Tell me more tell me more did she put up a fight”…..

Lucca Wed 06-Apr-22 12:56:31

By the way I’m not saying it should be banned.

Robin49 Wed 06-Apr-22 12:58:44

What a load of rubbish. I love Grease. Someone on GN once said it should ‘come with a warning’. Hilarious. ??

Blossoming Wed 06-Apr-22 13:01:01

Urmstongran

I’d better stop wearing my make up then Blossoming. And I’ve just bought a new eyeliner too!
?

Now now Urmstongran I never mentioned make up. Nor did I suggest the film should be banned. Please don’t try to start a fight with me, I have had enough hassle already this week!

ShazzaKanazza Wed 06-Apr-22 13:01:54

I’m afraid Pammie it is what we are coming too.
Let’s hope the powers that be see sense and don’t ban it.

volver Wed 06-Apr-22 13:03:02

Twitter has some 330 million monthly active users including the Dalai Lama, the Pope and Sir David Attenborough

Full of self importance and just winding each other up, all the time. I hear that the Pope challenged the Dalai Lama to a square go outside Wetherspoons last night.

Blossoming Wed 06-Apr-22 13:07:17

I hear that the Pope challenged the Dalai Lama to a square go outside Wetherspoons last night

I’d pay to see that! The Dalai Lama has a mean left hook.

Urmstongran Wed 06-Apr-22 13:20:22

Apologies Blossoming no malice intended! ??
Sorry to hear you’ve had a run in with someone. Unpleasant indeed.
?

Sara1954 Wed 06-Apr-22 13:42:31

Oh I love Grease. It’s the first film I ever took my oldest daughter to see. We loved it. I still love it

Namsnanny Wed 06-Apr-22 13:42:43

Perhaps Elon Musk will have some changes in mind to influence the breadth of views discussed on twitter?

Urmstongran Wed 06-Apr-22 13:51:21

Our girls used to plonk themselves down in front of the tv every afternoon as soon as they got in from school to watch the Grease DVD their nana had bought them. They were word perfect. Shame it wasn’t on their GCSE syllabuses....

MissAdventure Wed 06-Apr-22 13:57:25

He got friendly, holding my hand....

Well, she got friendly, down on the sand...

He was sweet, just turned eighteen...

Well, she was good! You know what I mean!

Shoo bup bup, shoo bup bup, shoo bup bup, yeah... smile

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Apr-22 13:58:19

I must be far too old for this world as most of my favourite films are now deemed politically incorrect

MissAdventure Wed 06-Apr-22 14:00:31

I always took it as a tongue in cheek, irreverent film anyway.

Beauty school drop out... la la la la la.....

highlanddreams Wed 06-Apr-22 14:04:13

I love Grease, went to see it twice at the flicks when it came out & would have gone more times if I'd been able to afford it too. I love it & honestly don't care if nobody else does, especially the toxic wokeflakes on twitter !

MissAdventure Wed 06-Apr-22 14:06:35

I can't stand musicals, but I've seen it a fair few times.
My daughters favourite film. smile

volver Wed 06-Apr-22 14:08:05

toxic wokeflakes

???

Sir David, she means you.

???

MissAdventure Wed 06-Apr-22 14:08:37

Sounds like a breakfast cereal to me.