Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour's Parking

(46 Posts)
Hippie20 Mon 11-Apr-22 15:35:47

I arrived home last week to see a large van unloading on my drive. It was my new neighbours moving in. No permission or request to use it was made Subsequently the new neighbour who has her own parking space has taken to parking her car half on the pavement in front of my house. I only have a front garden and am forced to look at her car. I am loath to get into a dispute so am thinking of having privacy hedges inside of my small picket fence. I know it sounds minor but it spoils the enjoyment of my property. What would you do? Talking to the neighbour would be pointless.

DiamondLily Mon 11-Apr-22 15:39:54

I would get the hedge. If you get into any sort of logged dispute, and want to sell your property, it has to be declared.

So, best to try and avoid that.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 11-Apr-22 15:42:20

Sadly you can’t prevent people from parking in the road, unless they are blocking your driveway and even then I can’t think who you would report them to.

If you’ve already had a go at them for parking in your driveway to unload a vehicle, then as you say it’s pointless trying to speak to them.
I hope you had a go about the removals vehicle? I hope also that you contacted the removal company and reported the driver for trespass?

Meanwhile yes tall hedges and tall fences make for good neighbours!

Calendargirl Mon 11-Apr-22 15:44:26

The new neighbour sounds rather thoughtless, but maybe she had attempted to ask if it was ok to use your drive, found you weren’t in, and hoped her removals would be finished before you returned home?

If I were you, I would tactfully mention that the way she parks is not ideal, especially if she has her own space. I know you don’t want bad feeling, but if you don’t ask….
She may not realise until it’s pointed out.

Good luck!

AGAA4 Mon 11-Apr-22 15:47:42

I would let this go and get your hedge. It may be that as she gets to know you better she may become more considerate.

Elizabeth27 Mon 11-Apr-22 15:55:23

I would let it go, neighbour disputes are miserable. If you were out how could they have asked permission to unload?

I think a hedge is the best solution.

Summerlove Mon 11-Apr-22 15:57:35

Get the hedge.

No point bringing up her parking as I assume she’s parked in a legal spot

biglouis Mon 11-Apr-22 16:10:54

Im glad I dont drive as I dont get into parking disputes. My garden had thick ivy all over the fence so I cant see the tacky cars that get parked in front.

A few years back when I moved into this estate the women next drro took to parking her (overflowing) bin in front of my gate on bin day. One smelly bin in front of the house is quite enough and I thought this was cheeky. After moving it back in front of her door several times I "hid" it in a nearby alley so it didnt get emptied that day. After that she kept it in front of her own gate to keep an eye on it.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 11-Apr-22 16:34:34

I agree with others. Anything that avoids confrontation/ dispute, has got to be preferable. The hedges sound a lovely idea whatever to be honest.

You can always tackle her in the future if you’re still not happy. You can’t assume she knows there’s a problem.

Nannarose Mon 11-Apr-22 16:51:36

Whilst I agree about avoiding confrontation, and agreeing that there is probably little you can do - please do take good advice about the hedge. If you need it to be quick growing, you my end up with the kind that may cause 'heave' in the soil and affect your house.
I don't know a great deal about this, so can't advise in detail, but I know enough to suggest that you investigate carefully before just buying.

Hippie20 Mon 11-Apr-22 18:57:17

Thanks for all the helpful comments. She smokes and thrown fag butt's around my property. No respect. I have decided to plant shrubs and blank her.

mokryna Mon 11-Apr-22 19:34:30

Plant hedges that have bicoloured evergreen leaves, don’t let them grow too tall as you will be blocking your light. At the same time have honeysuckle, clematis or some other flowering plants to add colour. Good luck

lixy Mon 11-Apr-22 19:46:40

I used to live in a ground floor flat and nearby shop parked their van outside so that was all I could see - at home with small baby at the time. It drove me potty so I really sympathise with you.
Plant a hedge - Photinia Red Robins are evergreen, have red leaves and flowers and are easy to keep trimmed. Put a bird table and a bird bath in the garden and the birds will entertain you.
I'd throw the cigarette butts back, but that might abate with the hedge barrier anyway with luck.
Good luck.

StoneofDestiny Fri 22-Apr-22 17:39:11

Definitely deposit the cig butts back on her land.

StoneofDestiny Fri 22-Apr-22 17:40:15

or collect them and give them back to her, telling her not to do it again as you don't want to pick up anybody else's waste.

Esspee Fri 22-Apr-22 18:50:02

If you have a car why not park it on the road in front of your home to prevent her doing so. After a week or so she will be used to parking her’s in front of her own house or on her drive.

Redhead56 Fri 22-Apr-22 22:33:28

I would park outside the house too until she gets the message. I cannot stand litter I am still thinking what I would do about the fag ends.

Chardy Sat 23-Apr-22 07:42:04

My apologies that this doesn't help Hippie20 in her horrible position, but welcoming new neighbours with a bunch of flowers, food whatever, sometimes means that when issues like this arise, it's easier to talk then through

Franbern Sat 23-Apr-22 08:23:10

You say she parks half on the pavement. In many areas this is totally illegal - and even where not so, may prevent people with prams, or in mobility pavement vehicles having free access along there. Report this parking to local authority.

Do you have a vehicle yourself? If so assume you park in your own drive. Without having to be nasty would be worth ringing their bell, welcome them to area, ( give some flowers, etc), and then request that they do NOT park their vehicle in front of your house in future.

Not worth getting into dispute about though. At my last house, which was at the end of a small Close, one of the first things I did was to pay out for dropped curb and paved front, so my car would be off the road. My neighbour at the very end, with a very large front garden area, always refused to have even part of that made for their car and reverse parked their car in the very centre of the curved area. This made it extremely difficult for anyone trying to turn their vehicles at the end of this cu-de-sac, and for me in reversing my car off my drive. On several occasions, my visitors would park in 'his' spot when he was not there, but half on the pavement, leaving the road area clear. He never took the hint, and when asked by other other neighbours to park like that told them that he understood it could damage a car to park half on, half off pavements. Was not worth falling out about though.

Hippie20 Sat 30-Apr-22 14:19:07

I'm not going to get into a dispute but in addition to the parking issue I was woken at 4 am by my neighbour and her friends. From now on I am parking my car outside my house when there is a space as there is not any common courtesy

Floradora9 Sat 30-Apr-22 14:49:22

Our neighbour in a cul-de-sac has had a trailer filled with logs parked outside his house for a week . No ambulance or fire engine could get access to uis and he leaves nobody else with room to park outside their houses . Luckily we have a big drive.

crazyH Sat 30-Apr-22 14:52:45

We were living at the end of a shared drive - what a nightmare !!! Don’t ever buy a house with a shared drive ⚠️

Hippie20 Sat 30-Apr-22 15:09:39

I have just seen my neighbour. She seems blissfully unaware of causing upset. I think some people just always put themselves first without any regard for others.

crazyH Sat 30-Apr-22 15:25:04

Hippie - she is obviously a very selfish person. Do what some posters above, have suggested. Plant a nice pretty hedge - something that will grow fast. I know nothing about hedges, so can’t give you any advice on that. Good luck !

Redhead56 Sat 30-Apr-22 17:22:47

Park the car outside the house so the neighbour can’t park there brush the fag ends in her direction.